Research Assistant Professor
B.Sc. Plant Sciences, Addis Abeba University (Ethiopia)
M.Sc. Agronomy, Alemaya University of Agriculture (Ethiopia)
Ph.D. Agronomy, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Area of Focus
I am interested in producer focused research-extension activities that improve nitrogen and water use efficiency, identify alternative crops and cropping systems for Nebraska, and the application of ecological principles to enhance sustainability and natural resource conservation.
Extension Area of Emphasis
Develop a comprehensive Variety Testing Program and develop targeted educational materials that will aid producers in choosing the right hybrid/variety to grow.
Major Project Activities
- Lead and coordinate Crop Variety Testing of major crops for Nebraska
- Coordinate state wide educational programs pertinent to Crop Variety Testing program
- Agronomy Society of America
- Crop Science Society of America
- Soil Science Society of America
- Tadesse, T., G. B. Senay, G. Berhan, T. Regassa, and S. Beyene. 2015. Evaluating a Satellite-based Seasonal Evapotranspiration Product and Identifying its Relationship with other Satellite-derived Products and Crop Yield: A case study for Ethiopia. Int. J. Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 40:39-54. doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2015.03.006.
- Regassa, T., and C.S. Wortmann. 2014. Sweet sorghum as a bioenergy crop-litrature review. Biomass and Bioenergy 64:348-355.
- Graybosch, R. A, H. Bockelman, K. Garland-Campbell, D. Garvin and T. Regassa. 2014. Genetic contributions to yield gains in US wheat yields, 1980-2010. Pp. 459-487. In Smith et al (eds.) Yield gains in major U.S. field crops. CSSA Special publication 33.
- Graybosch, R. A., Baenziger, P. S., D. K. Santra, T. Regassa, Y. Jin, J. Kolmer, S. N. Wegulo, G. Bai, P.S. Amand, X. Chen, B. Seabourn, F. Dowell, R. Bowden, and D.M. Marshall. 2014. Registration of -NI01481' Hard Red Winter Wheat. J. Plant Registrations. 8:43-48.
- Baenziger, P. S., R. A. Graybosch, T. Regassa, L. A. Nelson, R. N. Klein, D. K. Santra, D. D. Baltensperger, J. M. Krall, L. Xu, S. N. Wegulo, Y. Jin, J. Kolmer, Ming-Shun Chen, and G. Bai. 2012. Registration of -NI01481' Hard Red Winter Wheat. J. Plant Registrations. 6:41-53.
- Baenziger, P.S., R. A. Graybosch, T. Regassa, L. A. Nelson, R. N. Klein, D. K. Santra, D. D. Baltensperger, J. M. Krall, L. Xu, S. N. Wegulo, Y. Jin, J. Kolmer, Ming-Shun Chen, and G. Bai. 2011. Registration of 'NI04421' hard red winter wheat. J. Plant Registrations. 6:54-59.
- Baenziger, P.S., I. Salah, R. S. Little, D. K. Santra, T. Regassa, and M. Y. Wang. 2011. Structuring an Efficient Organic Wheat Breeding Program. Sustainability 3:1190-1205.
- Baenziger, P. S., R.A. Graybosch, L.A. Nelson, T. Regassa, R.N. Klein, D.D. Baltensperger, D. Santra, A.M.H. Ibrahim, W. Berzonsky, J.M. Krall, L. Xu, S.N. Wegulo, M. Bernards, Y.Jin, J. Kolmer, J.H. Hatchett, Ming-Shun Chen, G. Bai. 2011. Registration of 'NH03614 CL' Wheat. J. Plant Registrations 5:75-80.
- Regassa, T., R. Koelsch, G. Erickson. 2008. Impact of Feeding Distillers Grains on Nutrient Planning for Beef Cattle Systems. Heartland Regional Water Quality Initiative publication RP 190. Univ. of Nebraska Press, Lincoln.
- Regassa, T., R. Koelsch, J. DeRouchey. 2008. Impact of Feeding Distillers Grains on Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plans for Swine. Heartland Regional Water Quality Initiative publication RP 191. Univ. of Nebraska Press, Lincoln.
- Regassa, T., R. Koelsch, P. Kononoff. 2008. Impact of Feeding Distillers Grains on Nutrient Management Planning on dairy farms. Heartland Regional Water Quality Initiative publication RP 193. Univ. of Nebraska Press, Lincoln.
- Regassa, T., R. Koelsch, M. Masa'dah, and S. Scheideler. 2008. Impact of feeding distillers grains on comprehensive nutrient management planning for poultry layer production system. Heartland Regional Water Quality Initiative publication RP 194. Univ. of Nebraska Press, Lincoln.
- Wortmann, C., M. Helmers, B. Gelder, L. Wright-Morton, D. Devlin, C. Barden, S. Anderson, R. Broz, T. Franti, T. Regassa, P. Shea, M.Tomer, L. Frees, D. Griffith and D. Frizzell. 2008. Targeting of Management Practices in Watersheds for Water Quality Protection. Heartland Regional Water Coordination Initiative publication. University of Nebraska.
- Devlin, D. , C. Barden, P. Barnes, R. Smeda, M. Barnards, T. Franti, T. Regassa, P. Shea, C. Wortmann, R. Lerch and H. Duncan. 2009. Understanding Pesticides and Water Quality in the Midwest. Heartland Regional Water Coordination Initiative publication. Kansas State University.
- Regassa, T. 2007. Hormones in field applied animal manure: Should we be concerned? Heartland Regional Animal Manure Management Newsletter. November 2007.
- Ransom, J.K., T. Regassa, and M. Nigussie. 1997. Use of simulation models to predict the optimum duration of maize cultivars adapted to the rift valley of Ethiopia. Pp. 96-98. In G.O. Edmeades et al., (eds.) Developing drought and low N tolerant maize. Proc. of a Symposium, 25-29 March, 1996, CIMMYT, El Batan, Mexico, Mexico DF.
- Regassa, T. 1994. Effect of water and nitrogen levels on exotic sorghums high in stress tolerance. Pp. 66-67. In Sorghum/Millet collaborative research support program (CRISP)-INSORMIL publication 95-1.
- Regassa T., T. Mulatu and R. Kirkby. 1992. Developing technologies for small-scale farmers: On-farm research in Nazret area. Pp. 126-142. In Franzel S. and H. van Houten (eds.) Research with Farmers: Lesson from Ethiopia CAB International, Wallingford, U.K.
- Regassa, T. 1990. Incorporating farmers' circumstances in sorghum technology development. Pp. 349-363. Proc. of the 7th Regional Conference on Sorghum and Millet Improvement in Eastern Africa. Nairobi, Kenya.
Selected Active Grants (PI or co-PI role only)
- Investigate the response of winter wheat varieties to key production packages in Nebraska: Seed treatment, seeding rate, disease control and N fertilizer. $119,766 (PI, 2013-2014) NU foundation.
- Effect of different water regimens and nitrogen rates on wheat for whole grain food products. Agricultural Research and Development Center-UNL. $99,000 (Co-PI, 2012-2013).
- Investigating nitrogen use efficiency for winter wheat quality in organic rotations in Nebraska. Ceres Trust Organic Research. $150,836 (Co-PI, 2012-2015).
- It is all about TEF: Teaching, Extension and Farming Research in Ethiopia. U.S. Department of Agriculture-National Institute of Food and Agriculture. $149,576 (Co-PI, 2011-2014).
- Farming, Food and Fitness: A Holistic Approach to Agricultural Productivity, Food Insecurity & Nutrition. Inst. of Ag. and Nat. Resources - Seed Grant for Integrated Projects. $60,000 (Co-PI, 2010-2012).
- Variety testing of public winter wheat varieties developed outside Nebraska. Nebraska Wheat Board. $30,000 (PI, 2014-2015); $180,000 (total funding to date).