Zac Reicher Professor of Turfgrass Science
Area of Focus
- B.S., Iowa State University, 1986
- M.S., Iowa State University, 1988
- Ph.D., Purdue University, 1993
- TLMT 227 Turfgrass Management (sophomore level)
- TLMT 229 Turfgrass Management Lab (sophomore level)
PGAM 229 Turfgrass Management Lab for PGAM students
- TLMT 427 Turfgrass Systems Management (senior capstone)
Reducing inputs and costs of maintaining turf across the north central United States. Current interests include understanding the biology and practical management of difficult-to-control weeds like annual bluegrass, purslane, crabgrass, goosegrass, and yellow nutsedge. Additional research focuses on establishment/renovation of turfed areas.
Extension Area of Emphasis
Provide the most current turfgrass management information to the north central United States incorporating research findings and practical experience to reduce inputs while not sacrificing turf performance. Recommendations, publications, and research updates can be found at http://turf.unl.edu/
- Proctor, C. A., M. Sousek, D. V. Weisenberger, A. J. Patton, and Z. J. Reicher. 2012. Combining preemergence herbicides in tank-mixtures or as sequential applications provides season-long crabgrass control. HortScience. 47(8):1159-1162.
- Reicher, Z. J., Patton, A. J., and Weisenberger, D. V. 2012. Suppression of field paspalum in Kentucky bluegrass with mesotrione. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2012-0626-01-RS.
- Rutledge, J. M., J. J. Volenec, R. H. Hurley, and Z. J. Reicher. 2012. Seasonal changes in morphology and physiology of roughstalk bluegrass. Crop Sci. 52:858-868.
- Proctor, C. A., R. E. Gaussoin, and Z. J. Reicher. 2011. Vegetative reproduction potential of common purslane (Portulaca oleracea). Weed Technology. 25(4):694-697.
- Reicher, Z. J., L. W. Nees, and M. D. Levy. 2011. Roughstalk bluegrass (Poa trivialis) contamination in creeping bentgrass seed lots. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2011-0325-01-RS
- Patton, A. J. and Z. J. Reicher. 2011. Basic Training: A one-day education module for new clientele in the turf industry. Journal of Extension. 49(5).
- Reicher, Z. J., D. V. Weisenberger, M. W. Melichar, D. L. Loughner, J. A. Borger, and M. B. Naedel. 2011. Late fall and early spring application of granular preemergence herbicide on a fertilizer carrier for season-long crabgrass control. Journal of Environmental Hort. 29(2):65–70.
- Rutledge, J. M., D. Morton, D. V. Weisenberger and Z. J. Reicher. 2010. Sulfosulfuron and bispyribac-sodium combined with overseeding creeping bentgrass for fairway conversion. Hort. Sci. 45:283-287.
Morton, D. E., Weisenberger, D. V., and Reicher, Z. J. 2009. Response of eight cultivars of roughstalk bluegrass to bispyribac or sulfosulfuron. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2009-0831-01-RS
Voigt, T. B., and Reicher, Z. J. 2009. Selectively controlling escaped fountain grass in cool-season turf. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2009-0720-02-RS.
Rutledge, J. M., Weisenberger, D. V., and Reicher, Z. J. 2009. Effect of sulfosulfuron on ‘Penncross' creeping bentgrass seedlings when applied before or after seeding. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science doi:10.1094/ATS-2009-0710-01-RS.
Morton, D. E., D. V. Weisenberger, Z. J. Reicher, B. E. Branham, B. Sharp, R. Gaussoin, J. Stier and E. Koeritz. 2007. Evaluating bispyribac-sodium and sulfosulfuron for control of roughstalk bluegrass. HortScience 42(7): 1710-1714.
Reicher, Z. J., and Weisenberger, D. V. 2007. Herbicide selection and application timing in the fall affects control of ground ivy. Online. Applied Turfgrass Science (on line) doi:10.1094/ATS-2007-0831-01-RS. http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/sub/ats/research/2007/ivy/
Patton, A. J., S. M. Cunningham, J. J. Volenec, Z. J. Reicher. 2007. Differences in freeze tolerance of zoysiagrasses II: Role of proteins. Crop Sci. 47: 2162-2169.
Patton, A. J., J. J. Volenec, and Z. J. Reicher. 2007. Stolon growth and dry matter partitioning explains differences in zoysiagrass establishment rates. Crop Sci. 47: 1237-1245.
Patton, A. J., Z. J. Reicher, A. J. Zuk, J. D. Fry, M. D. Richardson, D. W. Williams. 2006. A guide to establishing seeded zoysiagrass in the transition zone. Applied Turfgrass Science Applied Turfgrass Science (on line) doi:10.1094/ATS-2006-1004-01-MG.
Voigt, T. B. and Z. J. Reicher. 2005. The Indiana-Illinois Turfgrass Short Course – Ten years of cooperative outreach. International Turfgrass Research Journal 10:1-5.
Kohler, E. A., V. L. Poole, Z. J. Reicher and R. F. Turco. 2004. Nutrient, metal, and pesticide removal during storm and non-storm events by a constructed wetland on an urban golf course. Ecological Engineering 23:285-298
Patton, A.J., G. A. Hardebeck, D. W. Williams, and Z. J. Reicher. 2004. Seeding date and rate and post-seeding N and weed control for zoysiagrass and bermudagrass. Crop Science 44:2160-2167.
Kohler, E. A., C. S. Throssell and Z. J. Reicher. 2004. Ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea) populations respond differently to 2,4-D or triclopyr. Weed Technology 18(3):566-574.
Kohler, E. A., C. S. Throssell and Z. J. Reicher. 2004. Cultural and chemical control of ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea). HortScience 48(3):566-574.
Sigler, W. V., Z. Reicher, C. Throssell, M. Bischoff and R. F. Turco. 2003. Sorption and degradation of selected fungicides in the turfgrass canopy. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution. 142:311-326.
Reicher, Z. J., and G. A. Hardebeck. 2002. Overseeding strategies for converting golf course fairways to creeping bentgrass. HortScience 37(3):508-510.
Sigler, W. V., C. H. Nakatsu, Z. J. Reicher, and R.F. Turco. 2001. Fate of the biological control agent Pseudomonas aureofaciens after application to turfgrass. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 67(8):3542-3548.
Reicher, Z. J., C. S. Throssell, and D. V. Weisenberger. 2000. Date of seeding affects establishment of cool-season turfgrasses. HortScience 35:1166-1169.
Reicher, Z. J., D. V. Weisenberger, and C. S. Throssell. 1999. Effect of dithiopyr and quinclorac on establishment of Kentucky bluegrass and perennial ryegrass. Weed Technology 13:253-256.
- Acosta-Martínez, V., Z. Reicher, M. Bischoff, and R. F. Turco. 1999. Turfgrass soil quality: The role of tree leaf mulch and nitrogen fertilizer. Biology and Fertility of Soils. 29:55-61.