Timothy J. Arkebauer Associate Professor and Crop Environmental Physiologist
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
Crop and Environmental Physiology
- B.S., Botany, Michigan State University, 1979
- M.S., Horticulture, University of Florida, 1981
- Ph.D., Agronomy, University of Nebraska, 1986
- Soil-plant-atmosphere relationships
- Leaf and canopy gas exchange
- Plant water relations
- Modeling plant growth and development
Major Project Activities
As a result of our research in natural systems, we are now able to better understand the fluxes of carbon to the atmosphere as well as the role of the environmental factors which regulate these exchanges. I am presently redirecting the major focus of my research to agricultural systems with the same emphasis on understanding the relevant factors controlling carbon and water exchange.
Our research on modeling plant growth and development is from the unique perspective of sink metabolism. We feel this is an important, and neglected, perspective and expect that these approaches will become more widespread in the modeling community as well as being of significant practical value in the long term.
- AGRO 807, Plant Water Relations
- Gitelson, A.A., S.B. Verma, A. Viña, D.C. Rundquist, G. Keydan, B. Leavitt, T.J. Arkebauer, G.G. Burba and A.E. Suyker (2003) Novel technique for remote estimation of CO2 flux in maize. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 39-1—39-4.
- Moreno-Sotomayor, A., A. Weiss, E.T. Paparozzi and T.J. Arkebauer (2002) Stability of leaf anatomy and light response curves of field grown maize as a function of age and nitrogen status. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 819-826.
- Xue, Q., M. Soundararajan, A. Weiss, T.J. Arkebauer and P.S. Baenziger (2002) Genotypic variation in gas exchange parameters and carbon isotope discrimination in winter wheat. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 891-898. (Journal Series No. 13499)
- Chanton, J.P., T.J. Arkebauer, S. Harden and S.B. Verma (2002) Diel variation in lacunal CH4 and CO2 concentrations and d13C in Phragmites australis. Biogeochemistry 59: 287-301.
- Boedhram, N., T.J. Arkebauer and R. Bachelor (2001) Seasonal variation in leaf area index profiles in maize. Agronomy Journal 93: 1235-1242.
- Arkebauer, T.J., J.P. Chanton, S.B. Verma and J. Kim (2001) Field measurements of internal pressurization in Phragmites australis and implications for regulation of methane emissions in a midlatitude prairie wetland. American Journal of Botany 88: 653-658.
- Weiss, A., T.J. Arkebauer and E.A. Walter-Shea (2000) Predicting albedo in two heliotropic crops. Agricultural Systems 68: 137-150.
- Yang, L., T.J. Arkebauer and E.A. Walter-Shea (2000) Diurnal variations in gas exchange of aspen, hazelnut, jack pine and black spruce. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica 24: 408-419.
- Yang, L., T.J. Arkebauer and E.A. Walter-Shea (1999) The effects of environmental variables on gas exchange of several tree species under boreal field conditions. Guangxi Sciences 6: 1-11.
- Suyker, A.E., S.B. Verma and T.J. Arkebauer. 1997. Season-long measurement of carbon dioxide exchange in a boreal fen. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 102:29,021-29,028.
- Hou, X., L.J. Meinke and T.J. Arkebauer. 1997. Soil moisture and larval western corn rootworm injury: Influence on gas exchange parameters in corn. Agron. J. 89:709-717.
- Weiss, A., T.J. Arkebauer, D.G. Watts and D.L. Martin. 1997. Dealing with graduate students who have difficulties. J. Nat. Res. Life Sci. Edu. 26:125-128.
- Todd, R.W., N.L. Klocke and T.J. Arkebauer. 1996. Latent heat fluxes from developing canopy partitioned by energy balance-combination models, pp. 606-612, In: C.R. Camp, E.J. Sadler and R.E. Yoder (eds) Evapotranspiration and Irrigation Scheduling, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, St. Joseph, MI.
- Shurpali, N.J., S.B. Verma, J. Kim and T.J. Arkebauer. 1995. Carbon dioxide flux in a peatland ecosystem. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 100:14,319-14326.
- Arkebauer, T.J. and J.M. Norman. 1995. From cell growth to leaf growth: I. Coupling cell division and cell expansion. Agron. J. 87-99-105.
- Arkebauer, T.J. and J.M. Norman. 1995. From cell growth to leaf growth: II. Simulation of division and expansion along a file of cells. Agron. J. 87:106-12.
- Arkebauer, T.J. and J.M. Norman. 1995. from cell growth to leaf growth: III. Kinetics of leaf expansion. Agron. J. 87:112-121.
- Lyon, D.J., F. Boa and T.J. Arkebauer. 1995. Water-yield relations of several spring-planted dryland crops following winter wheat. J. Prod. Agric. 8:281-286.