George L. Graef Professor
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
Soybean Breeding and Genetics
- B.S., Environmental Horticulture, University of Connecticut, 1982
- M.S., Plant Breeding and Cytogenetics, Iowa State University, 1984
- Ph.D. Plant Breeding and Cytogenetics, Minor, Genetics, Iowa State University, 1988
Soybean breeding and genetics; Genetic diversity in breeding populations; mating and selection systems; Soybeans for human food uses; protein and oil content and quality; Identification and characterization of QTLs using DNA markers.
- Agro 299 - Research Problems and Career Experience;
- Agronomy 421 Introduction to Plant Breeding;
- Agronomy 496 Internship in Plant Breeding and Genetics.
- Soybean cultivar development;
- Nebraska Crop Improvement Association;
- Soybean producers.
Major Project Activities
- Develop soybean germplasm and cultivars with increased seed protein content
- Develop soybean germplasm and cultivars with increased oil content
- Coordinate nationwide cooperative evaluation of soybean lines with improved quality traits from state and USDA soybean breeding programs
- Develop soybean cultivars for specific food and end uses
- Identification of resistance genes for Sclerotinia Stem Rot in soybeans
- Use of genetic male sterility in soybean cultivar development and recurrent selection programs
- Chung, J., H.L. Babka, G.L. Graef, P.E. Staswick, D.J. Lee, P.B. Cregan, R.C. Shoemaker, and J.E. Specht. 2003. The Seed Protein, Oil, and Yield QTL on Soybean Linkage Group I. Crop Sci. 43: 1053-1067.
- Graef, G.L., J.E. Specht, D. M. White, and L.L. Korte. 2002. Registration of ‘NE1900' Soybean. Crop Sci. 42: 306.
- Graef, G.L., J.E. Specht, D. M. White, and L.L. Korte. 2002. Registration of ‘NE3400' Soybean. Crop Sci. 42: 306-307.
- Demirbas, A., B.G. Rector, D.G. Lohnes, G.L. Graef, P.B. Cregan, R.C. Shoemaker, and J.E. Specht. 2001. Simple Sequence Repeat Markers Linked to the Soybean Rps Genes for Phytophthora Resistance. Crop Sci. 41: 1220-1227.
- Arahana, V.A., G.L. Graef, J.E. Specht, J.R. Steadman, and K.M. Eskridge. 2001. Identification of QTLs for resistance to Sclerotinia sclerotiorum in soybean. Crop Sci. 41: 180-188.
- Kim, H.S., G.L. Hartman, J.B. Manandhar, G.L. Graef, J.R. Steadman, and B.W. Diers. 2000. Reaction of soybean cultivars to sclerotinia stem rot in field, greenhouse, and laboratory evaluations. Crop Sci. 40: 665-669.
- Graef , G.L., and J.E. Specht. 1999. Registration of the SG1P soybean population with high seed protein and ms2 nuclear male sterility. Crop Sci. 39: 1261
- Graef , G.L., and J.E. Specht. 1999. Registration of the SG1LS soybean population with large seed size and ms2 nuclear male sterility. Crop Sci. 39: 1261-1262
- Yan, Lin, John A. Yee, Donghua Li, Michael H. McGuire, and George L. Graef. 1999. Dietary supplementation of selenomethionine reduces metastasis of melanoma cells in mice. Anticancer Research 19:1337-1342.
- Chung, J., J.-H. Lee, K. Arumuganathan, G.L. Graef, and J.E. Specht. 1998. Relationships between nuclear DNA content and seed and leaf size in soybean. Theor. Appl. Genet. 96: 1064-1068.
- Specht, J.E., and G.L. Graef. 1996. Limitations and potentials for genetic manipulation of soybeans. In D.P.S. Verma and R.C. Shoemaker, (eds.) Soybean: Genetics, Molecular Biology, and Biotechnology. CAB Intl., England.
- Brummer, E.C., G.L. Graef, J. Orf, J.R. Wilcox, and R.C. Shoemaker. 1997. Mapping QTL for seed protein and oil content in eight soybean populations. Crop Sci 37: 370-378.
- Yan, L., J.A. Yee, M.H. McGuire, and G.L. Graef. 1997. Effect of dietary supplementation of selenite on pulmonary metastasis of melanoma cells in mice. Nutrition and Cancer 28(2): 165-169.
- Yan, L., J.A. Yee, M.H. McGuire, and G.L. Graef. 1997. Effect of dietary supplementation of soybeans on pulmonary metastasis of melanoma cells in mice. Nutrition and Cancer 29(1): 1-6.