John Guretzky Assistant Professor and Grassland Systems Ecologist
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
Grassland Systems Ecology
- B.S., Natural Resources (Environmental Studies), University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1996
- Ph.D., Crop Production and Physiology, Iowa State University, 2002
- Structure and function of grassland systems
- Forage-beef production systems
- Use of perennial grasses in biomass energy systems
- Forage crop and range management
- Perennial plant function, growth, and development
- Grassland research techniques and analysis
- Providing Nebraskans with the best information available about forage and grasslands to meet their production and land management goals
- Biermacher, J.T., R. Reuter, J. Guretzky, M. Kering, J. Rogers, J. Blanton, Jr., and T. Butler. 2012. Expected economic potential of substituting legumes for nitrogen in bermudagrass pastures. Crop Science. Accepted / In Press.
- Guretzky, J.A., T.J. Butler, and J. Muir. 2012. Adaptation of annual forage legumes in the southern Great Plains. Great Plains Research. Accepted / In Press.
- Kering, M.K., J.T. Biermacher, T.J. Butler, J. Mosali, and J.A. Guretzky. 2012. Biomass yield and nutrient responses of switchgrass to phosphorus fertilization. Bioenergy Research. 5:71-78.
- Kering, M.K., T.J. Butler, J.T. Biermacher, and J.A. Guretzky. 2012. Biomass yield response of five perennial grasses to four nitrogen rates. Bioenergy Research. 5:61-70.
- Kering, M.K., J. Guretzky, J. Mosali, and E. Funderburg. 2011. Effect of nitrogen fertilizer rate and harvest season on forage yield, quality, and macronutrient concentrations in ‘Midland’ bermudagrass. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 42:1958-1971.
- Guretzky, J.A., J.T. Biermacher, B.J. Cook, M.K. Kering, and J. Mosali. 2011. Switchgrass for forage and bioenergy: harvest and nitrogen rate effects on biomass yields and nutrient composition. Plant Soil. 339:69-81.
- Guretzky, J.A., M. Kering, J.T. Biermacher, E. Funderburg, and J. Mosali. 2010. Fertilizer rate effects on forage yield stability and nutrient uptake of Midland bermudagrass. Journal of Plant Nutrition. 33:1819-1834.
- Guretzky, J.A., M.K. Kering, J.T. Biermacher, and B.J. Cook. 2009. Switchgrass for forage and bioenergy: II. Effects of P and K fertilization. The Proceedings of the International Plant Nutrition Colloquium XVI. University of California, Davis. Online. http://repositories.cdlib.org/ipnc/xvi/1318.
- Kering, M.K., J.T. Biermacher, B.J. Cook, and J.A. Guretzky. 2009. Switchgrass for forage and bioenergy: I. Effects of nitrogen rate and harvest system. The Proceedings of the International Plant Nutrition Colloquium XVI. University of California, Davis. Online. http://repositories.cdlib.org/ipnc/xvi/1158.
- Guretzky, J.A., Ball, J., and Cook, B.J. 2008. Nitrogen fertilizer rate and weather dictate nutritive value of fall stockpiled bermudagrass. Online. Forage and Grazinglands doi:10.1094/FG-2008-0118-01-RS.
- Guretzky, J.A., K.J. Moore, C.L. Burras, and E.C. Brummer. 2007. Plant species richness in relation to pasture position, management, and scale. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment. 122:387-391.
- Guretzky, J.A., J.S. Fehmi, and A.B. Anderson. 2006. Grazing and military vehicle interaction on grassland soils and vegetation. Great Plains Research. 16:51-61.
- Guretzky, J.A., K.J. Moore, E.C. Brummer, and C.L. Burras. 2005. Species diversity and functional composition of pastures that vary in landscape position and grazing management. Crop Science. 45:282-289.
- Guretzky, J.A., K.J. Moore, C.L. Burras, and E.C. Brummer. 2004. Distribution of legumes along gradients of slope and soil electrical conductivity (ECa) in pastures. Agronomy Journal. 96:547-555.
- Guretzky, J.A., K.J. Moore, A.D. Knapp, and E.C. Brummer. 2004. Emergence and survival of legumes seeded into pastures varying in landscape position. Crop Science. 44:227-233.
- Guretzky, J.A. and S.M. Louda. 1997. Evidence for natural biological control: insects decrease survival and growth of a native thistle. Ecological Applications. 7:1330-1430.