Aaron Lorenz Assistant Professor
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
Plant Quantitative Genetics
- B.S. Science in Agriculture – Plant Science, University of Minnesota, 2002
- M.S. Plant Breeding, Iowa State University, 2005
- Ph.D. Plant Breeding and Plant Genetics, University of Wisconsin, 2008
The general objective of my research is to improve the efficacy and speed of breeding for complex traits in crops. A major part of this effort is focused on optimizing a form of DNA marker-based selection known as genomic selection. Specifically, I am interested in training population design and optimal resource allocation. These activities are conducted across crop species, including maize, barley, and wheat. A second large part of my research program focuses on understanding the genetic architecture underlying variation of complex traits in maize. Traits of interest include stress tolerance traits, specifically tolerance to Goss's Wilt , drought, and nitrogen deficiency.
- AGRO/ANSCI 931 Population Genetics
- AGRO 932 Biometrical Genetics and Advanced Plant Breeding
- Yu, L-X., A.J. Lorenz, J. Rutkoski, R.P. Singh, S. Bhavani, J. Huerta-Espino, and M.E. Sorrells. 2011. Association mapping and gene-gene interactions for stem rust resistance in CIMMYT spring wheat germplasm. Theor. Appl. Genet. doi 10.1007/s00122-011-1664-y.
- Lorenz, A.J., S. Chao, F.G. Asoro, E.L. Heffner, T. Hayashi, H. Iwata, K.P. Smith, M.E. Sorrells, and J.-L. Jannink. 2011. Genomic selection in plant breeding: Knowledge and prospects. Adv. Agron. 110:77-123.
- Lorenz, A.J., M.T. Hamblin, J-L. Jannink. Performance of single nucleotide polymorphisms versus haploypes for genome-wide association analysis in barley. PlosONE (in revision).
- Heffner, E.L., A.J. Lorenz, J.-L. Jannink, M.E. Sorrells. 2010. Plant breeding with genomic selection: Potential gain per unit time and cost. Crop Sci. 50:1681-1690.
- Jannink, J-L., A.J. Lorenz, H. Iwata. 2010. Genomic selection in plant breeding: From theory to practice. Brief. Funct. Genomic Proteomic 9:166-177.
- Hansey, C.N., A.J. Lorenz, N. de Leon. 2010. Cell wall composition and ruminal digestibility of various maize tissues across development. Bioenergy 3:28-37.
- Lorenz, A.J., N. de Leon, J.G. Coors, C.N. Hansey, S.M. Kaeppler. 2010. Genetic analysis of agronomic and cell wall traits relevant to cellulosic ethanol production in maize (Zea mays L.). Crop Sci. 50:842-852.
- Lorenz, A.J., T.J. Gustafson, J.G. Coors, N. de Leon. 2010. Breeding maize for a bioeconomy: A literature survey examining harvest index and stover yield and their relationship to grain yield. Crop Sci. 1-12.
- Lorenz, A.J., R.P. Anex, A. Isci, J.G. Coors, N. de Leon, P.J. Weimer. 2009. Forage quality and composition measurements as predictors of ethanol yield from maize stover. Biotechnol Biofuels 2:5.
- Wolfrum, E.J., A.J. Lorenz, N. de Leon. 2009. Correlating detergent fiber analysis and dietary fiber analysis data for corn stover collected by NIRS. Cellulose 16:577-585.
- Lorenz, A.J., J.G. Coors, N. de Leon, E.J. Wolfrum, B.R. Hames, A.D. Sluiter, P.J. Weimer. 2009. Characterization, variation, and combining ability of maize traits relevant to cellulosic ethanol production. Crop Sci. 49:85-98.
- Lorenz, A.J., and J.G. Coors. 2008. What can be learned from silage breeding programs? In Proc. 29th Ann. Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals. April 29 – May 2. Denver, CO. Appl. Biochem Biotech 148: 261-270.
- Lorenz, A.J., M.P. Scott, and K.R. Lamkey. 2008. Genetic variation and breeding potential of phytate and inorganic phosphorus in a maize population. Crop Sci. 48: 79-84.
- Lorenz, A.J., M.P. Scott, and K.R. Lamkey. 2007. Quantitative determination of phytate and inorganic phosphorus for maize breeding. Crop Sci. 47: 600-606.
- Lorenz, A.J. 2011. Exploring genomic selection for resistance to Fusarium head blight in six-row barley. Biodiagnostics, Sept 8. River Falls, WI.
- Lorenz, A.J. 2011. Development of a genomic selection program for Fusarium head blight resistance in barley. Noble Foundation, Apr 7. Ardmore, OK.
- Lorenz, A.J. 2010. Optimizing genomic selection for plant breeding. Plant Science Retreat, Oct 22-23. Nebraska City, NE.
- Lorenz, A.J. 2010. Genomic selection: Theory, methods, and factors affecting success. Molecular and Cellular Biology of the Soybean Conference, Aug. 8 – 11. Durham, NC.
- Lorenz, A.J., J-L. Jannink, K. Smith. 2010. Exploring genomic selection within the Barley CAP. Barley Coordinated Agricultural Project Annual Meeting, Jan. 7. San Diego, CA.
- Lorenz, A.J., and J.G. Coors. 2007. What can be learned from silage breeding programs? Abstract. Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals, April 29 – May 2. Denver, CO.
- Lorenz, A.J., and N. de Leon. 2011. Effect of model and training population on genomic predictions for multiple traits in maize. Maize Genetics Conference, March 17-20. St. Charles, IL.
- Lorenz, A.J., M.T. Hamblin, J-L. Jannink. 2010. Comparing haplotypes and single SNPs for genome-wide association mapping in barley. Plant and Animal Genome Conference, January 9-13. San Diego, CA.
- Lorenz, A.J., N. de Leon, J.G. Coor, S.M. Kaeppler. 2008. Analysis and inheritance of maize traits related to cellulosic biofuels production (QTL mapping and analysis of Intermated B73-Mo17 population). ASPB Pan American Congress on Plants and Bioenergy, June 22-25. Merida, Mexico.
- Lorenz, A.J., C.N. Hansey, N. de Leon. 2008. Variation and compositional attributes of maize plant parts across hybrids and associated changes due to plant development. ASPB Pan American Congress on Plants and Bioenergy, June 22-25. Merida, Mexico.
- Lorenz, A.J., T. Gustafson, N. de Leon, and J.G. Coors. 2007. Breeding for total biomass production: Examination of harvest index and the relationship between stover yield and grain yield. Abstract. ASA-CSSA-SSSA Annual Meeting, Nov. 4-8. New Orleans, LA.
- Coors, J.G., A.J. Lorenz, K.R. Lamkey, K. Kirkpatrick, M.P. Scott, L.J. Haney and P.J. Weimer. 2007. Characterization and analysis of maize traits contributing to production of lignocellulosic ethanol. Abstract. Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals, April 29 – May 2. Denver, CO.
- Lorenz, A.J., J.G. Coors, P.J. Weimer, L.J. Haney, M.P. Scott, and A.D. Sluiter. 2007. Breeding for corn stover: Characterization of traits contributing to cellulosic ethanol production. Report of the North Central Corn Breeding Research Committee (NCCC167). March 21-22. St. Charles, IL.
- Lorenz, A.J. and J.G. Coors. 2006. Characterization and analysis of maize traits beneficial to the lignocellulosic ethanol industry. Abstract. ASA-CSSA-SSSA Annual Meeting, November 12-16. Indianapolis, IN.
- Lorenz, A.J., M.P. Scott, and K.R. Lamkey. 2005. Phosphorus and phytic acid in maize: measurement, variation, and trait correlations. Report of the North Central Corn Breeding Research Committee (NCR 167). Feb. 21-22, St. Paul, MN.