Steven N. Rodie, ASLA Associate Professor/Landscape Horticulture Specialist
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
- B.S. Forest Management, Colorado State University, 1977
- M.L.A., Kansas State University, 1985
Focus on the enhanced quality-of-life potential associated with well-designed, environmentally-sensitive landscapes; associated interest in the verification of hardiness and adaptability of native and introduced plants in developed Nebraska landscapes.
Teaches the following courses in the UNL Pre-Horticulture Program at the University of Nebraska at Omaha:
- HORT 2000 - Landscape & Environmental Appreciation
- HORT 2120 - Landscape Plants
- IHORT 2130 - Landscape Plants II
- HORT 2660 - Introduction to Landscape Design
- HORT 2670 - Introduction to Landscape Design Studio
In addition, coordinates the following at UNO:
- Horticulture Minor
- HORT 3950 - Career Experience
- HORT 3960 - Current Projects/Topics in Horticulture
- HORT 3990 - Independent Study
- UNL Pre-Programs (for two-year transfer students) in Agricultural Sciences, Natural Resources, Food Sciences and Horticulture at UNO (including advising for all students).
Major Project Activities
- Development of a horticulture curriculum for focused Horticulture Extension Educators and training for the Nebraska Master Gardener Program,
- On-going regional design training for the landscape/nursery, turf and arboriculture professions, and
- Development of landscape design training modules for use in distance education, workshops, and classroom design curriculums.
Focus on sustainable landscape design/management training and awareness for all areas of the green industry (including Master Gardeners) as well as design training/awareness for public audiences.
- VanDerZanden, A.M. and S. Rodie. 2007. Landscape Design: Theory and Application. Thomson/Delmar Learning. 424 pp.
- Rodie, S., Franti, T. and R. Sutton. 2007. Stormwater Management: Rain Garden Plant Selection. University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension Nebguide G-1759, 4pp.
- Franti, T. and S. Rodie. 2007. Stormwater Management: Rain Garden Design for Homeowners. University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension Nebguide G-1758, 4pp.
- Franti, T. and S. Rodie. 2007. Stormwater Management: Installing Rain Gardens in Your Yard. University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension Nebguide G-1760, 4pp.
- Streich, A. and S. Rodie. 2007. Trees in the Home Landscape. University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension Nebguide G-1747, 4 pp.
- VanDerZanden, A.M., Rodie, S. and D. Nelson. Home Landscape: Understanding the basics of landscape design. University of Nebraska Extension Circular, EC-1254, 2006. 32 pp.
- Rodie, S., Streich, A., Todd, K., Baxendale, F. and L. Giesler. 2006. Hostas. University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension Nebguide G-1683, 4 pp.
- Streich, A., D. Marx, J. Stafford, S. Rodie and K. Todd. 2003. Estimation of Attendance at a Large Outdoor Event. J. Extension 41(5). Contribution no. 1011 of NE Coop. Ext. Div., web published.
- Pabst, T., A. Streich and S. Rodie. 2002. Introduction to Water Gardening. University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension Circular, EC02-1252, 16 pp.
- Rodie, S. and E. Paparozzi. 1999. Public Perceptions of Landscape Design as a Nursery Industry Service and Quality-of-Life Enhancement Factor. J. Environ. Hort. 17(1): 18-24.
- Rodie, S. and E. Paparozzi. 1999. Perceptions of Urban Residential Landscapes: the Role of Landscape Design in Enhancing People-Plant Relationships. p. 71-82. In: Burchett, M., J. Tarran and R. Wood (eds.). Proc. International People-Plant Symposium: Towards a New Millenium in People-Plant Relationships, Sydney, Australia.
- Fech, J. and S. Rodie. 1999. Sustainable Golf Course Landscape Design. Golf Course Management Magazine, Vol. 67, No. 1.
- Appointed as Advisory Member, Board of Directors, Nebraska Arborists Association, 2007-2010
- Elected to Board of Trustees, American Society of Landscape Architects (2002-2005) representing the Great Plains Chapter/ASLA (Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota)
- Appointed as Professional Member to Nebraska State Board of Landscape Architects, 2004-2009
- Teacher Fellow, North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, 2006
- Holling Family Award for Teaching Excellence (Senior Faculty), College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, 2001
- Registered Landscape Architect in Nebraska, Kansas and California