Gautam Sarath Adjunct Professor and USDA-ARS Research Molecular Biologist/Biochemist
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
- B.S. Botany Delhi University, India, 1974
- M.S. Botany Delhi University, India, 1976
- Ph.D. Plant Physiology/Biochemistry University of California-Davis, 1984
Have taught Biochem 833 and Biochem 221
Understand the traits controlling biomass and forage qualities in warm-season prairie grasses. Contribute to the understanding of nitrogen metabolism of prairie legumes. Seed germination and plant development. Histone biotinylation
Extension Area of Emphasis
Contribute to the outreach mission of the USDA-ARS
- Chew YC, Camporeale G, Kothapalli N, Sarath G, Zempleni J (2006) Lysine residues in N- and C-terminal regions of human histone H2A are targets for biotinylation by biotinidase. J Nutr Biochem. J Nutr Biochem. 17: 225-233
- Smagge BJ, Sarath G, Ross EJ, Hilbert JL, Hargrove MS (2006) Slow ligand binding kinetics dominate ferrous hexacoordinate hemoglobin reactivities and reveal differences between plants and other species. Biochemistry. 45: 561-70.
- Tobias CM, Hayden DM, Twigg P, Sarath G (2006) Genic microsatellite markers derived from EST sequences of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.). Mol Ecol Notes. 6: 185-187
- Anderson W, Heng-Moss T, Baxendale F, Baird L, Sarath G, Higley L (2006) Chinch bug (Hemiptera: Blissida) mouthpart morphology, probing frequencies and locations on resistant and susceptible germplasms. J Econ Entomol. 99: 212-221
- Heng-Moss T, Macedo T, Franzen L, Baxendale F, Higley L, Sarath G (2006) Physiological responses of resistant and susceptible buffalograsses to chinch bug feeding. J Econ Entomol. 99: 222-228
- Sarath G, Bethke PC, Jones RL, Baird LM, Hou G, Mitchell RB (2006). Nitric oxide stimulates seed germination in warm-season C4 grasses. Planta 223: 1154-1164
- Dien BS, Jung HG, Vogel KP, Casler MD, Lamb JFS, Weimer PJ, Iten L, Mitchell RB, and Sarath G (2006) Chemical composition and response to dilute-acid pretreatment and enzymatic saccharification of alfalfa, reed canarygrass, and switchgrass. Biomass Bioenergy 30: 880-891.
- Sadder M, Hlavacka A, Firsov A, Sarath G, Yelmaz M, Moriama H, Baluska F, Avramova Z (2006) The Arabidopsis homolog of trithorax, ATX1, participates in a novel signaling pathway as a specific receptor for phosphatidyl inositol-5 phosphate. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA). 103: 6049-6054.
- Sanderson MA, Adler PR, Boateng A, Casler MD, Sarath G (2006) Switchgrass as a biofuels feedstock in the USA. Can J Plant Sci. 86: 1315-1325.
- Franzen L, Heng-Moss T, Higley L, Sarath G, Burd J (2007) Physiological and biochemical responses of resistant and susceptible wheat to the Russian wheat aphid, Diuraphis noxic (Mordvilko). J Econ Entomol. Accepted.
- Chew YC, Sarath G, Zempleni J (2007) An avidin-based debiotinylase activity in human cell nuclei. J Nutr Biochem. 18: 475-481
- Gulsen O, Shearman RC, Heng-Moss T, Mutlu N, Lee DJ, Sarath G (2007) Peroxidase gene polymorphism in buffalograsses and other grasses. Crop Sci. 47: 767-774
- Sarath G, Baird LM, Vogel KP, Mitchell R (2007) Internode structure and cell wall composition in maturing tillers of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.[Panicoideae]. Bioresource Tech. 98: 2985-2992
- Camporeale G, Oommen AM, Grffin JB, Sarath G, Zempleni J (2007) K12-biotinylated histone H4 marks heterochromatin in human lymphoblstoma cells. J Nutr Biochem. epub ahead of print.
- Sarath G, Hou G, Baird L, Mitchell RB (2007) Hydrogen peroxide, ABA and nitric oxide interactions on the germination of warm-season C4 grasses. Planta. 226: 697-708
- Sarath G, Akin D, Vogel KP, Mitchell RB (2007) Cell wall composition and accessibility to enzymes is differentially altered in divergently bred switchgrass (Panicum virgatum. L.) genotypes. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. (in revision)
- Londono DK, Wang H, Siqueria HAA, Sarath G, Lydy MJ, Siegfried BD (2007) Cloning and expression of an atrazine inducible cytochrome P450 from Chrionomas tentans. (Diptera: Chironomidae). Pesticide Biochem Physiol. In Press.
- Sarath G, Mitchell RB, Vogel KP (2007) Dormancy-breaking chemicals differentiate between switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.) seed loots. Seed Technol. (in revision)
- Chastain C.J, W. Xu, K. Parsley, G. Sarath, J.M. Hibberd, and R. Chollet. 2007. The Arabidopsis pyruvate,orthophosphate dikinase regulatory proteins encode a novel, unprecedented Ser/Thr protein kinase primary structure. Plant J. accepted