Charles A. Shapiro Professor, Soil Scientist
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
Soil Science/Crop Nutrition
- B.S., General Agriculture, Cornell University, 1974
- M.S., Agronomy, University of Nebraska, 1978
- PhD., Agronomy, University of Nebraska, 1982
Design cropping systems that make effective use of materials used to improve crop nutrition and prevent environmental contamination. Lead an integrated organic cropping systems conversion project at the Haskell Agricultural Laboratory. My emphasis is on maintaining soil fertility within an organic cropping system.
- Promote the effective use of fertilizers, organic amendments and other cultural practices to optimize production and profit without causing contamination to the environment.
- Collaborate with Natural Resources Districts to provide targeted nutrient management programs designed to reduce nitrate contamination of groundwater.
Major Project Activities
Utilizing manure in an efficient and environmentally sound manner is a focus of both research and extension activities. As co-leader of the Comprehensive Nutrient Management Planning workgroup, we published the Manure Application Workbook that is a step-by-step guide to preparing a farm plan that utilizes manure nitrogen at agronomic rates. Our website features many educational publications and tools to manage manure. It is updated as new information and tools are available. We recently completed a study of the phytotoxic effects of swine manure sprayed on crops during the season and are developing application guidelines that maximize nutrient utilization without causing crop damage.
In addition to the above, we also have collaborative water quality programs with several Natural Resources Districts, USGS, and NRCS. My interest is in nitrogen management. We collaborate with irrigation engineers since water management affects nitrogen losses.
Initiated in 2004 is a project to determine the nitrogen credit for corn following soybeans grown on irrigated sands in north central Nebraska.
More details on this project and others is available at the Soilfertility.unl.edu website.
If you would like to view a list of Dr. Shapiro's on-line publications, please visit his NEREC page.
- Al-wadaey, Ahmed, C. S. Wortmann, T. G. Franti, C. A. Shapiro, and D. E. Eisenhauer. 2012. Effectiveness of grass filters in reducing phosphorus and sediment runoff. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution DOI: 10.1007/s11270-012-1322-2.
- Bartelt-Hunt, S.L., D.D. Snow, W.L. Kranz, T.L. Mader, C.A. Shapiro, S.J. van Donk, D.P. Shelton, D.D. Tarkalson, and T.C. Zhang. 2012. Effect of growth promotants on the occurrence of steroid hormones on feedlot soils and in runoff from beef cattle feeding operations. Environ. Sci. Technol. 46(3):1352-1360.
- Irmak, S., M.J. Burgert, H.S. Yang, K.G. Cassman, D.T. Walters, W.R. Rathje, J.O. Payero, P. Grassini, M.S. Kuzila, K.J. Brunkhorst, W.L.Kranz, D.E. Eisenhauer, C.A. Shapiro, B. VanDeWalle, J.M. Rees, G.L. Zoubek, and G.J. Teichmeier. 2012. Large scale on-farm implementation of soil moisture based irrigation strategies for increasing maize water productivity. Trans. of the ASABE. 55(3):881-894.
- Attia, A., C. Shapiro, M. Gomaa, R. Aly, A. Omar. 2011. Response of different corn populations to fertigated nitrogen and certain micronutrients in sandy soil. Agricultural Sciences. 2(2):94-103. DOI: 10.4236/as.2011.22014.
- Wortmann, C.S., C.A. Shapiro, R. Ferguson, and M.Mainz. 2011. Irrigated soybean has a small response to nitrogen applied during early reproductive growth. J. Crop Manage. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2012-0126-01-RS.
- Alwadaey, A.M., C.S. Wortmann, T.G. Franti, C.A. Shapiro, and D.E. Eisenhauer. 2010. Manure application setback effect on phosphorus and sediment in runoff. J. Soil Sci. Environ. Manage. 1:95-98.
- Dobermann, A., C.S. Wortmann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.A. Shapiro, D.D. Tarkalson, D. Walters. 2010. Nitrogen Response and Economics for Irrigated Corn in Nebraska. Agron. J. 103:67-75.
- Tarkalson, D., C.A. Shapiro, and J. Peterson. 2010. Use of fly ash as a liming material of corn and soybean production on an acidic sandy soil. Online. Crop Management. Doi:10.1094/CM-2010-0426-01-RS.
- Wortmann, C.S., D.D. Tarkalson, C.A. Shapiro, A.R. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, and D. Walters. 2010. Cropping system effect on nitrogen use efficiency of irrigated corn in Nebraska. Agron. J. 103:76-84.
- Lindquist, J.L., S.P. Evans, C.A. Shapiro, and S.Z. Knezevic. 2009. Effect of nitrogen addition and weed interference on soil nitrogen and corn nitrogen nutrition. Weed Technology 24:50-58.
- Lyon, D.J., A.D. Pavlista, G.W. Hergert, R.N. Klein, C.A. Shapiro, S. Knezevic, S.C. Mason. L.A. Nelson, D.D. Baltensperger, R.W. Elmore, M.F. Vigil. A.J. Schlegel, B.L. Olson, and R.M. Aiken. 2009. Skip-row planting patterns stabilize corn grain yields in the central Great Plains. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2009-0224-02-RS.
- Wortmann, C.S., A.R. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.A. Shapiro, D.D. Tarkalson, and D. Walters. 2009. High yield corn response to applied phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur in Nebraska. Agron. J. 2009 101: 546-555.
- Wortmann, C.S. and C.A. Shapiro. 2007. The effects of manure application on soil aggregation. Nutr. Cycle Agroecosystems. 80:173-180. Online. DOI 10.1007/s10705-007-9130-6.
- Tarkalson, D.D., J.O. Payero, S.M. Ensley, and C.A. Shapiro. 2006. Nitrate accumulation and movement under deficit irrigation in soil receiving cattle manure and commercial fertilizer. Ag. Water Management. 85:201-210.
- Shapiro, C.A., and C.S. Wortmann. 2006. Corn response to nitrogen rate, row spacing and plant density in the upper Midwest. Agron. J. 98:529-535.
- Echarvarria-Chairez, F.G., C. A. Shapiro. G.W. Hergert and W. Kranz. 2006. Representacion del moviemiento de bromuro con la tecnia de visualizacion volumetrica (Representation of Bromide Movement by the Volume Visualization Technique). Terra Latinoamerica. 24:27-35.
- Wortmann, C.S., S. Xerinda, M. Mamo,C. A. Shapiro. 2005. No-till row crop response to starter fertilizer in eastern Nebraska: i. Irrigated and rainfed corn. Agron. J. 98:156-162.
- Martha Mamo, Daniel Ginting, William Zanner, Dennis McCallister, Roger Renken, Charles Shapiro, Bahman Eghball. 2005. Stratification of Soil Phosphorus and Increased Potential for Runoff Loss After Long-term Manure Application. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 60(5):243-250
- Wortmann, C.S., R.K. Koelsch, C.A. Shapiro, R.L. DeLoughery, D. Tarkalson. 2005. Manure use planning: an evaluation of a producer training program. Journal of Extension. 43(4):http//www.joe.org/joe//2005august/rtb5.shtml
- Shapiro, C.A. , W.L. Kranz, C.S. Wortmann. 2005. Salt thresholds for liquid manure applied to corn and soybeans. Trans. of ASAE. 48(3):1005-1013. http://www.asabe.org
- Kranz, W.L., C.A. Shapiro, B.E. Anderson, M.C. Brumm, M. Mamo. 2005. Effect of swine lagoon water application rate and alfalfa harvest frequency on dry matter production and N harvest. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 22(2):211-216.
- Evans S. P., S. Z. Knezevic, J. L. Lindquist, C. A. Shapiro, and E.E. Blankenship. 2003. Nitrogen application influences the critical period for weed control in corn. Weed Science 51:408-417.
- Evans P. S., S. Z. Knezevic, J. L. Lindquist, and C. A. Shapiro. 2003. Influence of nitrogen and duration of weed interference on corn growth and development. Weed Science 51:546-556.
- Shapiro, C. A., G.W. Echtenkamp, J.F. Witkowski, and T.E. Hunt. 2002. Effects of manure, hybrid root strength, and reduced rates of insecticide on corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) injury to corn. J. Sust. Agric. 21:95-107.
- Shapiro, C. A., D.L. Holshouser, W.L. Kranz, D.P. Shelton, J.F. Witkowski, K.J. Jarvi, G. W. Echtenkamp, L.A. Lunz, R.D. Frerichs, R.L. Brentlinger, M.A. Lubberstedt, M.McVey McCluskey, and W.W. Stroup. 2001. Tillage and management alternatives for returning Conservation Reserve Program land to crops. Agron. J.:93:850-862.
- Johnson, Leslie J., Charles A. Shapiro, Charles S. Wortmann, Chris G. Henry, Larry Howard, and Tamille D. Nennich. 2012. Nutient Management Record Keeping Calendar. (January 2013–January 2014). EC136, revised 2012.
- Johnson, Leslie J., Charles A. Shapiro, Charles S. Wortmann, Chris G. Henry, Larry Howard, and Tamille D. Nennich. 2011. Nutient Management Record Keeping Calendar. (July 2011–December 2012). EC136.
- Klein, Robert N. and Charles A. Shapiro. 2011. Evaluating Hail Damage to Soybeans. University of Nebraska Extension Circular EC128. link
- Klein, Robert N. and Charles A. Shapiro. 2011. Evaluating Hail Damage to Corn. University of Nebraska Extension Circular EC126. link
- Klein, Robert N. and Charles A. Shapiro. 2011. Evaluating Hail Damage to Grain Sorghum. University of Nebraska Extension Circular EC129. link
- Regassa, T., P.S. Baenziger, Anderson B., G. Kruger, D. Santra, C. Shapiro, J. Krall. 2011. The spring seed guide. EC 101. University of Nebraska-Lincoln. (revised)
- Regassa, T., P.S. Baenziger, G. Kruger, D. Santra, C. Shapiro, J. Krall. 2011. The fall seed guide. EC 103. University of Nebraska-Lincoln. (revised)
- Shapiro, C.A., J.S. Schepers, D.D. Francis, and J. F. Shanahan. 2006. Using a chlorophyll meter to improve N management. NebGuide G1632 (Revised, October 2006).
- Wortmann, C.S., C.A. Shapiro, and D. Tarkalson. 2006. Composting manure and other organic residuals. NebGuide G1315 (Revised, April 2006).
- Koelsch, Rick, and C.A. Shapiro. 2006. Determining crop available nutrients from manure. NebGuide 1335 (Revised, March 2006)
- Tarkalson, D.D. and C.A. Shapiro. 2006. Fertilizer management for alfalfa. NebGuide G73-2-A (Revised, November 2005).
- Tarkalson, D.D., D.T. Lindgren, C.A. Shapiro, and L. Hodges. 2004. Fertilizers for vegetables in home gardens. NebGuide G90-945 (Revised, April 2005)
- Tarkalson, D.D., D.T. Lindgren, C.A. Shapiro, and L. Hodges. 2004. Fertilizer suggestions for vegetables in home gardens. NebGuide G90-945 (Revised).
- Dobermann, A. and C. A. Shapiro. 2004. Setting a realistic corn yield goal. NebGuide G79-481-A (Revised).
- DeWald, S., S. Rasmussen, C. Shapiro, and S. Josiah. 2004. Determining the need to fertilize landscape trees and shrubs. Cooperative Extension NebGuide G02-1466A. (Revised).
- Ferguson, R., C. A. Shapiro, A. R. Dobermann, and C. S. Wortmann. 2003. Fertilizer recommendations for soybean. NebGuide G87-859-A (Revised).
- Shapiro, C., R. DeLoughery, and C. Wortmann. 2003. Manure Nitrogen Application Calculator. Nebraska Cooperative Extension. EC03-182.
- Mamo, M., C. Wortmann, and C. Shapiro. 2003. Lime use for soil acidity management. NebGuide G03-1503A.
- Wortmann, C., M. Mamo, and C. Shapiro. 2003. Management strategies to reduce the rate of soil acidification. NebGuide G03-1504A.
- Koelsch, R., C.A. Shapiro, and R. DeLoughery. 2003. Nebraska's CNMP Manure Application Workbook. EC 02-720.
- Shapiro, C.A. 2002. Comprehensive Nutrient Management Planning in Nebraska (Chapter 2). In M. Reynolds (ed.) Managing livestock manure to protect environmental quality. EC 02-179.
- Lackey, S. O., C. Shapiro, and W. Kranz. 2002. Agricultural management practices and the groundwater system of northern Holt County, Nebraska: with a focus on the Holt County Groundwater Education Project. Joint publication with Conservation and Survey Division EC 15 and Cooperative Extension Division EC02-799-X
- Brumm, M.C., C.A. Shapiro, and W. L. Kranz. 2002. Managing swine dietary phosphorus to meet manure management goals. In Nebraska Swine Report. University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension EC02-219-A. p. 18-21.
- Wortmann, C., C. Shapiro, and R. DeLoughery. 2002. Sampling manures for nutrient analysis. Nebraska Cooperative Extension. G02-1450.