Roy F. Spalding Professor
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
Agronomy and Horticulture
- B.A., Kenyon College, 1966
- M.S., Environmental Science and Engineering, University of North Carolina, 1968
- Ph.D., Geochemical Oceanography, Texas A&M University, 1972
My research interests are in the field of water quality as it relates to the fate and transport of agrichemicals, cost-effective remediation of agrichemicals and industrial solvents, and pragmatic use of radioactive and stable isotopes in environmental applications.
Major Project Activities
- Measurement of transport of agrichemicals from buffered to nonbuffered sections along Clear Creek, Nebraska.
- Assess impacts of MTBE/ethanol contamination in ground water and surface water in Nebraska and Kansas
- Monitoring of nitrate, ammonia, and antibiotics from seepage to shallow ground water at animal waste lagoons
- Co-direct the Nitrate and Pesticide Clearinghouse
- MTBE and Other Fuel Oxygenates Team, (2005). Overview of Groundwater Remediation Technologies for MTBE and TBA. 1 -94. Interstate Technology and Regulatory Council, Washington, DC. available at www.itrcweb.org
- Zhang, Y., Khan, I.A., Chen, X. and Spalding, R.F. (2005). Transport and degradation of ethanol in groundwater. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology.
- Exner, M.E., Spalding, R.F. and Harrell, D.M. (2005). Development of a quality-assessed agrichemical database for monitoring anthropogenic impacts on ground-water quality. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 107, 249 -257.
- Imtiyaz A. Khan, Roy F. Spalding (2004). Enhanced in situ denitrification for a municipal well. Water Research, 38, 3382-3388.
- Yi Zhang, Roy F. Spalding (2003). Impact of preservation techniques and GC injector temperature on loss of fuel oxygenates. Soil Sediment and Water, :September , 9-12.
- Imtiyaz A. Khan, Roy F. Spalding (2003). Development of a procedure for sustainable in situ aquifer denitrification. Bioremediation, :Spring , 53-69.
- Roy F. Spalding, Darrell G. Watts, Daniel D. Snow, David A. Cassada, Mary E. Exner, James S. Schepers (2003). Herbicide loading to shallow ground water beneath Nebraska's Management Systems Evaluation Area. Journal of Environmental Quality, 32 , 84-91.
- Roy F. Spalding, Mary E. Exner, Daniel D. Snow, David A. Cassada, Mark E. Burbach, Stephen J. Monson (2003). Herbicides in ground water beneath Nebraska's Management Systems Evaluation Area. Journal of Environmental Quality, 32, 92-99.
- Roy F. Spalding, Daniel D. Snow, Mary E. Exner, (2002) 125-128 Acetamides and their transformation products in ground water beneath Nebraska's Management Systems Evaluation Area. Proceedings of the 2nd European Conference on Pesticides and Related Organic Micropollutants in the Environment. (T.Albanis, ed.) September 26-29, 2002. University of Ioannina, Corfu, Greece.
- K.M. Hassan, R.F. Spalding (2001). Hydrogen isotope values in lacustrine kerogen.. Chemical Geology, 175:3-4, 713-721.
- J. Zhu, S.J. Monson, D.D. Snow, D.A. Cassada, R.F. Spalding (2001). Analysis of oxytetracycline, tetracycline, and chlortetracycline in water using solid phase extraction and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography Acta, 928 :2 , 177-186.
- R.F. Spalding, Z.K. U, S.W. Hyun, G.E. Martin, M.E. Burbach, S.I.I. Yang, M. Kim, M.E. Exner, S.J. Song (2001). Source identification of nitrate on Cheju Island, South Korea. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 61, 237-246.
- Roy F. Spalding, Darrell G. Watts, James S. Schepers, Mark E. Burbach, Mary E. Exner, Robert J. Poreda, Glen E. Martin (2001, 08/01). Controlling nitrate leaching in irrigated agriculture. Journal of Environmental Quality, 30, 1184-1194.
- D.A. Cassada, Y. Zhang, D.D. Snow, R.F. Spalding (2000). Trace analysis of ethanol and MTBE in water using solid phase microextraction and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 72 :19 , 4654-4658.