Kenneth P. Vogel Professor (Adjunct), Research Geneticist and Research Leader, USDA-ARS
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
- B.S., Agronomy, Colorado State University, 1965
- M.S., Agronomy, Colorado State University, 1967
- PhD., Agronomy/Plant Breeding and Genetics, University of Nebraska, 1974
Breeding, genetics, and management of perennial grasses for use in forage, livestock, or biomass energy production systems or for conservation in the Central Great Plains and the Midwest states.
Major Project Activities
- Develop perennial cool- and warm-season perennial grasses and legumes and associated management practices for use in establishing or restoring grazed grasslands.
- Develop perennial grasses, with emphasis on switchgrass, and associated management practices for use in biomass energy crop production systems.
- Develop basic and applied information on the genetic and physiological mechanisms controlling grass herbage and biomass yield and quality that could be utilized to improve these traits via breeding and management research (Objectives 1 and 2).
- Anderson, W.F., B.S. Dien, H.J.G. Jung, K.P. Vogel, P.J. Weimer. 2010. Effect of forage quality and cell wall constituents of bermudagrass on biochemical conversion to ethanol. Bioenergy Reseach In Press. DOI 10.1007/s12155-009-9061-y. (Published online on Nov. 19, 2009; Nov. 9, 2009).
- Schmer, M.R., R.B. Mitchell, K.P. Vogel, W.H. Schacht, and D.B. Marx. 2010. Efficient methods of estimating switchgrass biomass supplies. Bioenergy Research. In Press. DOI 10.1007/s12155-009-9070-x. (Published online Nov. 19, 2009).
- Vogel, K.P., R.B. Mitchell, H.J. Gorz, F.A. Haskins, and L.C. Newell. 2010. Registration of Warrior, Scout, and Chief Indiangrass. J. Crop Registrations 4:115-122.
- Vogel, K.P., R.B. Mitchell, D.D. Baltensperger, K.D. Johnson, and I.T. Carlson. 2010. Registration of Homestead Canada Wildrye. J. Crop Registrations. 4:123-126.
- Chenlin Li, Bernhard Knierim, Chithra Manisseri, Rohit Arora, Henrik V. Scheller, Manfred Auer, Kenneth P. Vogel, Blake A. Simmons, and Seema Singh. 2010. Comparison of dilute acid and ionic liquid pretreatment of switchgrass: biomass recalcitrance, delignification and enzymatic saccharification. Bioresource Technology 101:4900-4906.
- Arora, Rohit, Manisseri, Chithra, Li, Chenlin, Ong, Marcus, Scheller, Henrik Vibe, Vogel, Ken, Simmons, B.A., and Singh, Seema. Monitoring and analyzing process streams towards understanding ionic liquid pretreatment of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.). BioEnergy Research xx:1939-1234 . Published online April 23, 2010. DOI: 10.1007/s12155-010-9087-1.
- Mitchell, R.B., K.P. Vogel, J. Berdahl, and R.A. Masters. 2010. Herbicides for establishing switchgrass in the Central and Northern Great Plains. BioEnergy Research. (Published online 31 March 2010). DOI 10.1007/s12155-010-9084-4.
- Hossien, El Nashaar, G.M. Banowetz, S.M. Griffith, M.D. Casler, K.P. Vogel. 2009. Genotypic variability in mineral composition of switchgrass. Bioresource Technology. 100:1809-1814.
- Follett, Ronald F., Gary E. Varvel, John Kimble, and Kenneth P. Vogel. 2009. No-till corn after bromegrass: Effect on soil C and soil aggregates. Agron. J. 191-261-268.
- Vogel, K.P. and C.H. Behling Miranda. 2009. Improving grassland profitability in the Mid-continental USA by breeding for improved forage digestibility: lessons learned and applications to South American grasslands. Revista Brazileira de Zootechnia (Bras. Zootech). 38:160-169 (supl. especial).
- Singh, Seema; Simmons, B.A.; Vogel, K.P. 2009. Visualization of biomass solubilization and cellulose regeneration during ionic liquid pretreatment of switchgrass. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 104:68-75
- Adler, P.R., M.A. Sanderson, P.J. Weimer, K.P.Vogel. 2009. Plant species composition and biofuels yields of conservation grasslands. Ecological Applications 19:2202-2209.
- Schmer, M.R., R. Mitchell, K.P. Vogel, W.R. Schacht, D.A. Marx. 2009. Spatial and temporal effects on switchgrass stands and yields in the Great Plains. Bioenergy Research. (Published online 08/20/09).
- Varvel, G.E., K.P. Vogel, R.B. Mitchell, R.F. Follett, and J.M. Kimble. 2008. Comparison of Corn and Switchgrass on Marginal Soils for Bioenergy. Biomass and Bioenergy. Vol.32: 18:21.
- Schmer, M.R., K.P. Vogel, R.B. Mitchell, R.K. Perrin. 2008. Net Energy of Cellulosic Ethanol from Switchgrass. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 105: 464-469.
- Sarath, G., R.B. Mitchell, S.E. Sattler, D. Funnell, J.F. Pedersen, R.A. Graybosch, and K.P. Vogel. 2008. Opportunities and roadblocks in utilizing forages and small grains for liquid fuels. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology. 35:343-354.
- Perrin, R.K., K.P. Vogel, M.R. Schmer, R.B. Mitchell. 2008. Farm-scale production cost of switchgrass for biomass. Bioenergy Research 1:91-97.
- Martinez-Reyna, Juan M. and K.P. Vogel. 2008. Heterosis in Switchgrass: Spaced Plants. Crop Sci. 48:1312-1320.
- Sarath G, D. Akin D, R.B. Mitchell, K.P. Vogel. 2008. Cell wall composition and accessibility to enzymes is differentially altered in divergently bred switchgrass (Panicum virgatum. L.) genotypes. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 150:1-14
- Liebig, M.A., M.R. Schmer, K.P. Vogel, and R.B. Mitchell. 2008. Soil carbon storage by sitchgrass grown for bioenergy. Bioenergy Research.1:215-222.
- Lekari, L.A., S.A. Baenziger, D.D. Baltensperger, K.P. Vogel. 2008. Identifying winter forage triticale (X Triticosecale Wittmack) strains for the Central Great Plains. Crop Sci. 48: 2040-2048.
- Vogel, K.P., R.B. Mitchell. 2008. Heterosis in switchgrass: biomass yield in swards. Crop Sci. 48: 2159-2164.
- Weichenthal,B.A., D.D. Baltensperger, K.P. Vogel, S.D. Masterson, and J.M. Krall. 2008. Feed values for annual forages in the Central Great Plains. The Professional Animal Scientist 24: 668-674.
- Mitchell, R., K.P. Vogel, Gautam Sarath. 2008. Managing and enhancing switchgrass as a bioenergy feedstock. Biofpr. 2: 530-539.
- Kiniry, J.R., M.R. Schmer, K.P. Vogel, and R.B. Mitchell. 2008. Switchgrass simulation at diverse sites in the northern Great Plains of the U.S. Bioenergy Research 1:259-264.
- Sarath, Gautam, L.M. Baird, K.P. Vogel, and R.B. Mitchell. 2007. Internode structure and cell wall composition in maturing tillers of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum). Bioresource Technology 98: 2985-2992.
- Robins, J.G., B.L. Waldron, K.P. Vogel, J.D. Berdahl. M.R. Haferkamp, K.B. Jensen,T.A. Jones, R.B. Mitchell, B.K. Kindiger. 2007. Characterization of testing locations for developing cool-season grass species. Crop Sci. 47:1004-1012.
- Casler, M.D., C.A. Stendal, L. Kapich, and K.P. Vogel. 2007. Genetic diversity, plant adaptation regions, and restoration gene pools for switchgrass. Crop Sci. 47: 2261-2273.
- Casler, M.D., K.P. Vogel, C.M. Taliaferro, N.J. Ehlke, J.D. Berdahl, E.C. Brummer, R.I. Kallenbach, C.P. West, R.B. Mitchell. 2007. Latitudinal and longitudinal adaptation of switchgrass populations. Crop Sci. 47:2249-2260.