Brian Wienhold Assistant Professor (Adjunct) and Soil Scientist, USDA-ARS
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
- B.A., Biology, Moorhead (MN) State University, 1982
- M.S., Botany, North Dakota State University, 1985
- Ph.D., Range Management, University of Arizona, 1989
The role of management practices in soil-plant interactions and nutrient cycling.
Major Project Activities
I am currently working on problems associated with spatial variability within fields. I am using apparent electrical conductivity, aerial photography, and yield maps to delineate variability within fields and measuring soil properties that effect nutrient management and crop productivity. The objective of this work is to develop sampling strategies for efficiently measuring soil properties within fields and to develop approaches for variable rate application of inputs. I also work in the area of soil quality. I am collaborating with other scientists to develop assessment tools for making comparisons among management practices or to assess changes over time for a management practice.
- Wienhold, B.J., J.L. Pikul, Jr., M.A. Liebig, M.M. Mikha, G.E. Varvel, J.W. Doran, and S.S. Andrews. 2006. Cropping system effects on soil quality in the Great Plains: Synthesis from a regional project. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 21:49-59.
- Grigera, M.S., R.A. Drijber, K.M. Eskridge, and B.J. Wienhold. 2006. Soil microbial biomass relationships with organic matter fractions in a Nebraska corn field mapped using apparent electrical conductivity. Soil Science Society of America Journal 70:1480-1488.
- Wienhold. B.J. 2007. Comparison of laboratory methods and an in situ method for estimating nitrogen mineralization in an irrigated silt-loam soil. Communication in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 38:1721-1732.
- Wienhold, B.J. Changes in soil attributes following low phosphorus swine slurry application to no-tillage sorghum. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 69:206-214. 2005.
- Wienhold, B.J., Andrews, S.S., and Karlen, D.L. Soil Quality: A Review of the Science and Experiences in the USA. J. Environ. Geochem. Health. 26:89-95. 2004.
- Wienhold, B.J., and P.S. Miller. Phosphorus fractionation in manure from swine fed traditional and low phytate corn diets. J. Environ. Qual. 33:389-393. 2004.
- Johnson, C. K., D. A. Mortensen, B. J. Wienhold, J. F. Shanahan, and J. W. Doran. Site-Specific Management Zones Based on Soil Electrical Conductivity in a Semiarid Cropping System Agron J 95: 303-315. 2003.
- Johnson. C.K., K.M. Eskridge, B.J. Wienhold, J.W. Doran, G.A. Peterson, and B.W. Buchleiter. Using Electrical Conductivity Classification and Within-Field Variability to Design Field-Scale Research. Agron. J. 95:602-613. 2003.
- Bowman, R.A., Reeder, J.D., and Wienhold, B.J. Quantifying Laboratory and Field Variability to Assess the Potential for Carbon Sequestration. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 33:1629-1642. 2002.
- Wienhold, B.J. and Tanaka, D.L. Soil Property Changes During Conversion from Perennial Vegetation to Annual Cropping. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 65:1795-1803. 2001.
- Wienhold, B.J., Hendrickson, J.R., and Karn, J.F. Pasture Management Influences on Soil Quality Attributes in the Northern Great Plains. J. Soil Water Conser. 56:27-31. 2001.
- Johnson, C.K., Doran, J.W., Duke, H.R., Wienhold, B.J., Eskridge, K.M., and Shanahan, J.F. Field-Scale Electrical Conductivity Mapping for Delineating Soil Condition. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 65:1829-1837. 2001.
- Wienhold, B.J. and Tanaka, D.L. Haying, Tillage, and Nitrogen Fertilization Influences on Infiltration Rates at a Conservation Reserve Program Site. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 64:379-381. 2000.
- Wienhold, B.J., Power, J.G., and Doran, J.W. Agricultural Accomplishments and Impending Concerns. Soil Sci. 165:13-30. 2000. (INVITED)
- Wienhold, B.J., Luchiari, A., and Zhang, R. Challenges Confronting Soil Management for Dryland Agriculture. Annals of Arid Zone, Special Issue on Arid Zone Research: Perspectives and Challenges 39(3):333-346. 2000 (INVITED).
- Wienhold, B.J. and Krupinsky, J.M. Chlorophyll Meter as Nitrogen Management Tool in Malting Barley. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 30: 2551-2562. 1999.
- Wienhold, B.J. and Halvorson, A. D. Nitrogen Mineralization Response to Cropping, Tillage, and N-Rate in the Northern Great Plains. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 63:192-196. 1999.
- Springer, G., Wienhold, B.J., Richardson, J.L., and Disrud, L.A. Salinity and Sodicity Induced Changes in Dispersible Clay and Saturated Hydraulic Conductivity in Sulfatic Soils. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 30:2211-2220. 1999.
- Wienhold, B.J. and Trooien, T. P. Irrigation Water Effects on Infiltration Rate in the Northern Great Plains. Soil Sci. 163(11):853-858. 1998.