Melinda K. Yerka
Melinda K. Yerka
Research Assistant Professor
B.S., Agronomy – International Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2005
M.S., Agronomy, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2008
Ph.D., Plant Breeding and Plant Genetics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2011
Area of Focus
- Genetics and physiology of evolved herbicide resistance in weeds.
- Crop-to-weed gene flow and development of reproductive barriers to gene flow.
- Sorghum germplasm development and trait characterization.
- N619 to N640 sorghum near-isogenic for waxy or wild-type endosperm.
- N641 and N642 waxy sorghum hybrid parents.
- Funnell-Harris, D. L., P. M. O’Neill, S. E. Sattler, and M. K. Yerka. Response of sweet sorghum lines to stalk pathogens Fusarium thapsinum and Macrophomina phaseolina. Plant Disease. In Press.
- Werle, R., A. J. Jhala, M. K. Yerka, and J. L. Lindquist. 2016. Distribution of herbicide resistant shattercane and johnsongrass populations across Nebraska and Kansas. Agronomy Journal. 108:321-328. Invited submission.
- Yerka, M. K., J. J. Toy, D. L. Funnell-Harris, S. E. Sattler, and J. F. Pedersen. 2016. Evaluation of interallelic waxy, heterowaxy, and wild-type grain sorghum hybrids. Crop Science. 56:1-9.
- Yerka, M. K., J. J. Toy, D. L. Funnell-Harris, S. E. Sattler, and J. F. Pedersen. 2015. Registration of A/BN641 and RN642 waxy grain sorghum genetic stocks. Journal of Plant Registrations. 9:258-261.
- Yerka, M. K., A. Watson, J. J. Toy, G. Erickson, J. F. Pedersen, and R. Mitchell. 2015. Yield and forage value of a dual-purpose bmr-12 sorghum hybrid. Crop Science 55:681-687.
- Yerka, M. K., J. J. Toy, D. L. Funnell-Harris, S. E. Sattler, and J. F. Pedersen. 2015. Registration of N619 to N640 grain sorghum lines with waxy or wild-type endosperm. Journal of Plant Registrations. 9:244-248.
- Yerka, M., A. Wiersma, B. Lindenmayer, P. Westra, W. Johnson, N. de Leon, and D. Stoltenberg. 2013. Reduced translocation is associated with common lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) tolerance to glyphosate. Weed Science. 61:353-360.
- Yerka, M. K., N. de Leon, and D. E. Stoltenberg. 2012. Pollen-mediated gene flow in common lambsquarters (Chenopodium album). Weed Science. 60:600-606.
- Markham, M. Y. and D. E. Stoltenberg. 2010. Corn morphology, mass, and grain yield as affected by early-season red:far-red light environments. Crop Science. 50:273-280. Selected as a feature article.
- Markham, M. Y. and D. E. Stoltenberg. 2009. Red:far-red light effects on corn growth and productivity in field environments. Weed Science. 57:208-215.