Emeritus Associate Professor and International Sorghum/Millet Collaborative Research Support Program CRSP Program Director
B.S., Animal Husbandry, University of Missouri, 1959M.S., Poultry Nutrition, University of Missouri, 1962Ph.D., Plant Breeding, University of Missouri, 1973
Area of Focus
Sorghum and Millet breeding
To administer and coordinate the multi-disciplinary Sorghum/Millet Collaborative Research Support Program (INTSORMIL CRSP). This includes a broad range of activities from sorghum and pearl millet breeding, crop protection, agronomy/physiology, economics and marketing to grain quality and utilization. INTSORMIL promotes degree training for international collaborators from developing countries.
Major Project ActivitiesThe INTSORMIL Program is a consortia of seven U.S. Universities (Kansas State University, Ohio State University, University of Nebraska, Purdue University, West Texas A&M University and Texas A&M University) and USDA/ARS which conducts collaborative research on the improvement of production and utilization of grain sorghum and pearl millet in 20 countries world wide. The broad program interests of the INTSORMIL program involve collaborative research, post graduate degree education, training, conferences and workshops, and publishes a wide array of program research results from projects, workshop proceedings and newsletters and other initiatives. Dr. Yohe's role is in overall management of the Management Entity Office, the program and in facilitating successful implementation of the program.
The INTSORMIL program looks for opportunities to foster technology transfer in partnership with National Program Extension Services and NGOs/PVOs in regions where INTSORMIL is active.
- Frederiksen, R.A. and J.M. Yohe. Changing Paradigms in the Design and Implementation of Collaborative Research, in Sorghum and Millets Diseases, J.F. Leslie, Ed., Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, 2002, 343-347.
- Yohe, J.M., P. Barnes-McConnell, H. Egna, J. Rowntree, J. Oxley, R.G. Hanson, D. Cummins, and A. Kirksey, The CRSPs: International Collaborative Research Programs, in Disease Analysis through Gentics and Biotechnology, J.F. Leslie and R.A. Frederiksen, Eds., Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, 1995, 321-338.
- Yohe, J.M., P. Barnes-McConnell, H. Egna, J. Rowntree, J. Oxley, R.G. Hanson, D. Cummins, and A. Kirksey, The Collaborative Research Support Programs (CRSPs): 1978-1990, Contributed Paper for the Forum on Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resource Management, November 13-16, 1990, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C., 1990
- Neeley, Doug, W.L. McProud, and J.M. Yohe, 1979. "Diversity by Breeding for Genetic Variability on Farmers' Fields." Risk, Uncertainty and Agricultural Development, ed. James A. Roumasset, Jean-Marc Boussard and Inderjit Singh (College, Laguna, Philippines: SEARCA, ADC Publications, 1979).
- Yohe, J.M. and J.M. Poehlman, 1975. Regressions, Correlations, and Combining Ability in Mungbeans [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Trop. Agri. (Trinidad) 52(2):343-352
- Yohe, J.M. and J.M. Poehlman, 1972. Genetic Variability in the Mungbean, [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Crop Science, 12:461-64.
- O'Dell, B.L., J.M. Yohe, and J.E. Savage, 1963. Zinc Availability in the Chick as Affected by Phytate Calcium and Ethylenediaminetetraacetate. Poultry Science 43:415- 419.
- Savage, J.E., J.M. Yohe, E.E. Picket, and B.L. O'Dell, 1963. Zinc Metabolism in the Growing Chick. Tissue Concentration and Effect of Phytate on Adsorption. Poultry Science 43:420-426.