Assistant Professor, Extension Turfgrass Specialist
Area of Expertise: Turf, Landscape, and Horticulture Systems
B.S., Soil Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2009
M.S., Soil Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2010
Ph.D., Horticulture, Cornell University, 2014
Area of Focus
Turfgrass soil and water management
My research focuses on turfgrass soil, water, and nutrient management. I'm currently interested in the relationship between turf crown moisture and temperature stress tolerance. This has implications for turfgrass survival during summer and winter droughts and can result in desiccation injury and plant death. Other interest include sustainable lawn management, use of nitrogen sensing technology to increase fertilizer application precision, and the cause and management of impermeable iron-oxide layers in sand based putting greens.
Major Project Activities
- Sustainable turfgrass management with particular emphasis on nitrogen and water management on lawn systems of Nebraska and the Northern Great Plains
- Winter and summer desiccation prevention and recovery
- Soil management in sand-based golf putting greens
Extension Area of Emphasis
To increase the precision of turfgrass management with new technologies and environmental models. I supplement traditional extension visits and training with web-based media to provide turfgrass managers with timely management recommendations and current research. This includes a new web portal for turf managers to more effectively manage inputs at their facility.
- Kreuser, W.C. and F.S. Rossi. 2014. Civitas increases clipping yield on a cool-season putting green. Appl. Turf. Sci.
- DeBels, B. T., S. E. Griffith, W. C. Kreuser, E. S. Melby, and D.J. Soldat. 2012. Evaluation of mowing height and fertilizer application rate on quality and weed abundance of five home lawn grasses. Weed Technology. 26: 826-831.
- Kreuser, W. C., and D. J. Soldat. 2012. Frequent trinexapac-ethyl applications reduce nitrogen requirements of creeping bentgrass golf putting greens. Crop Sci. 52:1348-1357.
- Kreuser, W. C., P. H. Pagliari, and D. J. Soldat. 2012. Creeping bentgrass putting green Mehlich-3 soil test phosphorus requirements. Crop Sci. 52:1385-1392.
- Kussow, W.R., D.J. Soldat, W.C. Kreuser, and S.M. Houlihan. 2012. Evidence, regulation, and consequences of nitrogen-driven nutrient demand by turfgrass. ISRN Agronomy. ID:359284.
- Kreuser, W. C., and D. J. Soldat. 2011. A growing degree day model to schedule trinexapac-ethyl applications on Agrostis stolonifera golf putting greens. Crop Sci. 51:2228-2236.
- Kreuser, W. C., M. P. Fish, D. J. Soldat, and S. Bauer. 2011. Removing sand from putting green clipping samples substantially reduces clipping weight measurement error. Crop Sci. 51:1268-1273.