Juan Ignacio Rattalino Edreira
Research Assistant Professor
Area of Expertise: Plant Physiology, Weed, and Production Systems
B.SC., Agricultural Engineer, University of La Pampa, Argentina, 2007
Dr., Agronomy, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2013
Area of Focus
- Crop physiology
- Crop response to abiotic stresses
- Yield potential
- Yield-gap analysis
- Resource-use efficiency
- Spatial analysis and impact assessment
- Crop simulation models
Major Project Activities
I am currently involved in three major projects:
- Global Yield Gap and Water Productivity Atlas: I have estimated yield gap and water productivity for maize, wheat, rice and legume crops in U. S., Africa, Indonesia, Mexico, and others countries. Link: www.yieldgap.org
- Benchmarking yield and input-use efficiency of soybean systems: I have worked with producer self-assessment data in a project aimed at Benchmark soybean production systems in the North-Central USA to identify KEY management factors that can be used by individual producers to increase yield on their farms. Link: http://soybeanresearchinfo.com/
- Yield Forecasting Center: In this project, we provide in-season maize yield forecasts to aid growers and the Ag industry in making management, logistics, and marketing decisions through the season. The Yield Forecasting Center consists of a core team at UNL in collaboration with agronomists and Extension educators from universities throughout the Corn Belt. Link: https://cropwatch.unl.edu/corn-yield-forecasting-center
- Distinguished Global Award: Technology Development, Monsanto, USA (2015)
- Perez Companc Foundation Award, Academy of Agronomy, Argentina (2014)
- Technology Community Award, Monsanto, Argentina (2014)
- CITA Award, Konex Fundation, Argentina (2014)
- Research Council of Argentina (CONICET) scholarship. Argentina (2008-2013)
- Undergraduate Research Fellowship: “Amaranth: Future-Food”, UNLPam, Argentina (2007)
- 2007 Outstanding GPA, UNLPam, Argentina (2007)
- Undergraduate Research Fellowship for Junior Scientists, UNLPam, Argentina (2006)
- 2006 Outstanding GPA, UNLPam, Argentina (2006)
I have participated in Extension activities like University of Nebraska–Lincoln Crop Extension Clinics and Extension publications like CropWatch articles. I also perform bi-weekly, in-season, real-time forecasting of irrigated and rainfed end-of-season corn yield potential for several locations across the U.S. Corn Belt , which are periodically published as CropWatch articles during the crop season.
Teaching & Advising Experience
- 2016-2018 – Organizer and lecturer of 10+ workshops in Indonesia, Kenya, Tanzania, and the U.S.
- 2013 – Co-advisor of undergraduate student, UBA, Argentina.
- 2012 – Guest lecturer on graduate course entitle: “Physiological basis for crop breeding”
- 2008-2013 – Teaching Assistant of the undergraduate course “Crop Production” (40hs per year), UBA, Argentina. Duties include organizing theme-related courses, and lectures.
- 2004-2007 – Teaching Assistant of the undergraduate course “Botany” (120hs per year), UNLPam, Argentina. Duties include classroom observation and advising students.
H-index: 8; total citations: 245 (by Nov 2018), source: Scopus
- Rattalino Edreira, J.I., Mourtzinis, S., Azzari, G., Andrade, J.F., Conley, S.P., Lobell, D.B., Grassini, P. “From sunlight to seed: assessing limits to solar radiation capture and conversion into seed in soybean producer fields”. Submitted.
- Andrade JF, Rattalino Edreira JI, Farrow A, van Loon M, Craufurd P, Rurinda J, Zingore S, Chamberlin J, Claessens L, Adewopo J, van Ittersum M, Grassini P. “A spatial framework for ex-ante impact assessment of agricultural technologies”. Global Food Security. Submitted.
- Azzari G, Grassini P, Rattalino Edreira JI, Conley SP, Mourtzinis S, Lobell DB. “Satellite mapping of tillage practices in the US Corn Belt since 2007”. Remote Sensing Environment, 2018. Accepted.
- Andrade JF, Rattalino Edreira JI, Mourtzinis S, Conley SP, Ciampitti IA, Dunphy JE, Gaska JM, Holshouser DL, Kandel HJ, Kyveryga P, Licht MA, Lindsey LE, McClure MA, Naeve S, Nafziger EM, Orlowsky JM, Ross J, Glewen K, Thompson L, Staton MJ, Lee CD, Specht JE, Grassini P. “Assessing the influence of row spacing on soybean yield using experimental and producer survey data”. Field Crop Research, 2019 230:98-106.
- Rattalino Edreira JI, Cassman KG, Hochman Z, van Ittersum M, van Bussel L, Claessens L, Grassini P. “Beyond the plot: Technology extrapolation domains for scaling out agronomic science”. Environmental Research Letters, 2018 5:054027.
- Rattalino Edreira JI, Guilpart N, Sadras VO, Cassman KG, van Ittersum MK, Grassini P. “Water productivity of rainfed maize and wheat: A local to global perspective”. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology, 2018 247:170-180.
- van Loon MP, Deng N, Grassini P, Rattalino Edreira JI, Wolde-meskel E, Baijukya F, Marrou H, van Ittersum MK. “Prospect for increasing grain legume crop production in East Africa. European Journal of Agronomy”. European Journal of Agronomy, 2018 101:140-148.
- Agustiani N, Deng N, Rattalino Edreira JI, Girsang SS, Syafruddin S, Sitaresmi T, Pasuquin JMC, Agus F, Grassini P. “Simulating rice and maize yield potential in the humid tropical environment of Indonesia”. European Journal of Agronomy, 2018 101:10-19.
- Rizzo G, Rattalino Edreira JI, Archontoulis SV, Yang HS, Grassini P. “Do shallow water tables contribute to high and stable maize yields in the US Corn Belt?” Global Food Security, 2018 18:27-34.
- Rattalino Edreira, J.I., Mourtzinis, S., Conley, S.P., Roth, A.C., Ciampitti, I.A., Licht, M., Kandel, H., Kyveryga, P.M., Lindsey, L.E., Mueller, D.S., Naeve, S.L., Nafziger, E., Specht, J.E., Stanley, J., Staton, M.J., Grassini, P., Assessing causes of yield gaps in agricultural areas with diversity in climate and soils. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology, 2017 247:170-180.
- Mourtzinis S., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Conley J., Grassini P., 2016 From grid to field: Assessing quality if gridded weather data for agricultural applications. Europ. J. Agron. 82: 163–172.
- Rattalino Edreira J.I., Mayer, L.I., Otegui, M.E., 2014. Heat stress in temperate and tropical maize hybrids: Kernel growth, water relations and assimilate availability for grain filling. Field Crops Res. 166: 162–172.
- Mayer L.I., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Maddonni G.A., 2014. Oil yield components of maize crops exposed to heat stress during early and late grain-filling stages. Crop Sci. 54:1-15.
- Cicchino M., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Otegui M.E., 2013. Maize physiological responses to heat stress and hormonal plant growth regulators related to ethylene metabolism. Crop Sci. 53: 2135-2146.
- Rattalino Edreira J.I., Otegui, M.E., 2013. Heat stress in temperate and tropical maize hybrids: A novel approach for assessing sources of kernel loss in field conditions. Field Crops Res. 142: 58-67.
- Rattalino Edreira J.I., Otegui, M.E., 2012. Heat stress in temperate and tropical maize hybrids: Differences in crop growth, biomass partitioning and reserves use. Field Crops Res. 130: 87-98.
- Rattalino Edreira J.I., Budakli Carpici E., Sammarro D.G., Otegui, M.E., 2011. Heat stress effects around flowering on kernel set of temperate and tropical maize hybrids. Field Crops Res. 123: 62-73.
- Cicchino M., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Uribelarrea M., Otegui M.E., 2010. Heat stress in field grown maize: Response of physiological determinants of grain yield. Crop Sci. 50: 1438-1448.
- Cicchino M., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Otegui M.E., 2010. Heat stress during late vegetative growth of maize: Effects on phenology and assessment of optimum temperature. Crop Sci. 50:1431-1437.