Juan Ignacio Rattalino Edreira
Juan Ignacio Rattalino Edreira
Research Assistant Professor
B.SC., Agricultural Engineer, University of La Pampa, Argentina, 2007
Dr., Agronomy, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2013
Area of Focus
- Crop physiology
- Crop response to abiotic stresses
- Yield potential
- Yield-gap analysis
- Resource-use efficiency
- Crop simulation models
Major Project Activities
I am currently involved in three major projects:
- Global Yield Gap and Water Productivity Atlas: I have estimated yield gap and water productivity for maize, wheat, rice and legume crops in US, Africa, Indonesia, Mexico, and others countries. Link: www.yieldgap.org
- Benchmarking yield and input-use efficiency of soybean systems: I have worked with producer self-assessment data in a project aimed at Benchmark soybean production systems in the North-Central USA to identify KEY management factors that can be used by individual producers to increase yield on their farms. Link: http://soybeanresearchinfo.com/
- Yield Forecasting Center: In this project, we provide in-season maize yield forecasts to aid growers and the Ag industry in making management, logistics, and marketing decisions through the season. The Yield Forecasting Center consists of a core team at UNL in collaboration with agronomists and extension educators from universities throughout the Corn Belt. Link: https://cropwatch.unl.edu/corn-yield-forecasting-center
I have participated in extension activities like University of Nebraska–Lincoln Crop Extension Clinics and extension publications like CropWatch articles. I also perform bi-weekly, in-season, real-time forecasting of irrigated and rainfed end-of-season corn yield potential for several locations across the US Corn Belt , which are periodically published as CropWatch articles during the crop season.
- Monsanto Global Technology Development Distinguished Award (2015)
- Perez Companc Foundation Award (2014)
- Technology Community Monsanto Award (2014)
- CITA 2014 Award
- Fellow of the Research Council of Argentina (CONICET, 2008-2013)
- Undergraduate research fellowship: “Amaranth: Future-Food” (2007)
- Undergraduate fellowship for junior researchers (2006)
H-index: 6; total citations: 150 (by Jun 2017)
- Rattalino Edreira, J.I., Mourtzinis, S., Conley, S.P., Roth, A.C., Ciampitti, I.A., Licht, M., Kandel, H., Kyveryga, P.M., Lindsey, L.E., Mueller, D.S., Naeve, S.L., Nafziger, E., Specht, J.E., Stanley, J., Staton, M.J., Grassini, P., Assessing causes of yield gaps in agricultural areas with diversity in climate and soils. Agric. For. Meteorol. In Press.
- Rattalino Edreira, J.I., Cassman, K.G., Hochman, Z., Van Ittersum, M.K., Van Bussel, L.G.J., Claessens, L., Grassini, P. Beyond the plot: accelerating innovation in agronomic science. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. Submitted.
- Mourtzinis S., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Conley J., Grassini P., 2016 From grid to field: Assessing quality if gridded weather data for agricultural applications. Europ. J. Agron. 82: 163–172.
- Rattalino Edreira J.I., Mayer, L.I., Otegui, M.E., 2014. Heat stress in temperate and tropical maize hybrids: Kernel growth, water relations and assimilate availability for grain filling. Field Crops Res. 166: 162–172.
- Mayer L.I., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Maddonni G.A., 2014. Oil yield components of maize crops exposed to heat stress during early and late grain-filling stages. Crop Sci. 54:1-15.
- Cicchino M., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Otegui M.E., 2013. Maize physiological responses to heat stress and hormonal plant growth regulators related to ethylene metabolism. Crop Sci. 53: 2135-2146.
- Rattalino Edreira J.I., Otegui, M.E., 2013. Heat stress in temperate and tropical maize hybrids: A novel approach for assessing sources of kernel loss in field conditions. Field Crops Res. 142: 58-67.
- Rattalino Edreira J.I., Otegui, M.E., 2012. Heat stress in temperate and tropical maize hybrids: Differences in crop growth, biomass partitioning and reserves use. Field Crops Res. 130: 87-98.
- Rattalino Edreira J.I., Budakli Carpici E., Sammarro D.G., Otegui, M.E., 2011. Heat stress effects around flowering on kernel set of temperate and tropical maize hybrids. Field Crops Res. 123: 62-73.
- Cicchino M., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Uribelarrea M., Otegui M.E., 2010. Heat stress in field grown maize: Response of physiological determinants of grain yield. Crop Sci. 50: 1438-1448.
- Cicchino M., Rattalino Edreira J.I., Otegui M.E., 2010. Heat stress during late vegetative growth of maize: Effects on phenology and assessment of optimum temperature. Crop Sci. 50:1431-1437.