West Central Research and Extension Center
B.S., AGRONOMY, SÃO PAULO STATE UNIVERSITY, BRAZIL, 2009
M.S., AGRONOMY (WEED SCIENCE), UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA-LINCOLN, 2012
PH.D., AGRONOMY (WEED SCIENCE), UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA-LINCOLN, 2016
Area of FocusCropping Systems
- Develop practices to increase profitability, productivity and sustainability of irrigated and dryland cropping systems under limited water environments across Western Nebraska
- Increase crop yields through water and residue management practices
- Develop and evaluate systems including crop rotation, variety selection, residue management, plant nutrition and pest management
- Develop agronomic recommendations for corn, wheat, soybeans, grain sorghum, alternative crops and cover crops
- Impact of cropping systems on herbicide resistance evolution and management
- Weed ecology and management
- Serve Nebraska growers, consultants and agricultural industry professionals
- Update and develop management and control practices for productive and profitable crop rotations in irrigated and dryland cropping systems under limited water environments across Western Nebraska
- Crop variety testing in the West Central district
Academic Honors and Awards
- Weed Science Society of America, Outstanding Graduate Student Award, 2016.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Dean’s Fellowship, 2014-2015 & 2015-2016
- Milton E. Mohr Award (Biotechnology Degree Program Recipient), 2014-2015 & 2015-2016.
- Weed Science Society of America, Outstanding Paper in Weed Technology, 2014.
- Widaman Trust Distinguished Graduate Assistant Award, 2013-2014.
- North Central Weed Science Society, Outstanding Graduate Student Award, 2013.
- University of Nebraska Student Government, Graduate Student of the Year, 2012-2013.
- Werle, R., K. Begcy, M. K. Yerka, I. Dweikat, A. J. Jhala, J. P. Mower, and J. L. Lindquist. 2017. Independent evolution of acetolactate synthase-inhibiting herbicide resistance in weedy Sorghum populations across common geographic regions. Weed Science. 65:164-176.
- Werle, R., B. Tenhumberg, and J. L. Lindquist. 2017. Modeling the evolution of shattercane resistance to ALS-inhibiting herbicides in an ALS-tolerant sorghum cropping system. Ecological Modeling. 343:131-141.
- Saini, S., R. Werle, L.D. Sandell, and A. Jhala. 2016. Spring-tillage has no effect on the emergence pattern of glyphosate-resistant giant ragweed (Ambrosia trifida L.) in Nebraska. Canadian Journal of Plant Science. 96: 726-729.
- R. Werle, A. Jhala, M.K. Yerka, J.A. Dille, and J.L. Lindquist. 2016. Distribution of herbicide-resistant shattercane and johnsongrass populations in sorghum production areas of Nebraska and northern Kansas. Agronomy Journal. 108:321-328. Invited Submission.
- Werle, R., L.J. Giesler, M.L. Bernards, and J.L. Lindquist. 2015. Likelihood of soybean cyst nematode (Heterodera glycines) reproduction on henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) roots in Nebraska. Weed Technology. 29:35-41.
- Werle, R., L.D. Sandell, D.D. Buhler, R.G. Hartzler, and J.L. Lindquist. 2014. Predicting emergence of twenty three summer annual weed species. Weed Science. 62:267-279.
- Werle, R., M.L. Bernards, T.J. Arkebauer, and J.L. Lindquist. 2014. Environmental triggers of winter annual weed emergence in the midwestern United States. Weed Science. 62:83-96.
- Werle, R., L.L. Perez, L.D. Sandell, and J.L. Lindquist. 2014. Corn (Zea mays) emergence and early growth as influenced by tansymustard (Descurainia pinnata) residue. Crop Management. doi:10.2134/CM-2013-0088-RS.
- Werle, R., J.J. Schmidt, J. Laborde, A. Tran, C. Creech, and J.L. Lindquist. 2014. Shattercane X ALS-resistant sorghum F1 hybrid and shattercane interference in ALS-resistant sorghum. Journal of Agricultural Science. 6:159-165.
- Werle, R., M.L. Bernards, L.J. Giesler, and J.L. Lindquist. 2013. Influence of two herbicides on soybean cyst nematode (Heterodera glycines) reproduction on henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) roots. Weed Technology. 27:41-46. Outstanding paper in Weed Technology.
- Han, C., C. Borman, D. Osantowski, J. Wagnitz, K. Koehler-Cole, K. Korus, E. Sonderegger, R. Werle, T. Wood, and J. L. Lindquist. 2012. Productivity of field pea (Pisum sativum L.) and spring oat (Avena sativa L.) grown as sole and intercrops under different nitrogen levels. Journal of Agricultural Science. 4:136-143.
- Rosolem, C.A., R. Werle, R.A. Garcia. 2010. Nitrogen washing from C3 and C4 cover grasses residues by rain. Revista Brasileira de Ciência do Solo. 34:1899-1905.
- Werle, R., R.A. Garcia, C.A. Rosolem. 2008. Potassium leaching as affected by soil texture and potassium availability. Revista Brasileira de Ciência do Solo. 32:2297-2305. (In Portuguese with English abstract).