Keenan Amundsen Assistant Professor
- B.S. Crop and Soil Sciences, Michigan State University, 1998
- M.S. Crop and Soil Sciences, Michigan State University, 2003
- Ph.D. Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, George Mason University, 2010
- Buffalograss breeding and genetics
- Turfgrass germplasm improvement for reduced input sustainability
- Evaluate the turf potential of other native grass species
- Develop tools to improve breeding methods used in turf
Major Project Activities
- The primary objective of my research program is to develop improved buffalograss cultivars. I am therefore focused on improving turf characteristics, seed yield, sod performance, and stress tolerance of buffalograss. At a basic research level I am applying genetic and molecular biology tools to improve the efficiency of breeding for improved cultivars and to understand the processes contributing to turf traits and stress tolerance.
Amundsen, K. and S. Warnke. 2011. Species relationships in the genus Agrostis based on flow cytometry and MITE-display molecular markers. Crop Science 51:1224-1231.
Amundsen, K., D. Rotter, M. L. Huaijun, J. Messing, G. Jung, F. Belanger, and S. Warnke. 2011. Miniature inverted-repeat transposable element identification and genetic marker development in Agrostis. Crop Science 51:854-861.
Dhar, A.K., D.K. Lakshman, K. Amundsen, R. Robles-Sikisaka, K.N. Kaizer, S. Roy, K.W. Hasson, and F.C.T. Allnutt. 2010. Characterization of a taura syndrome virus isolate originating from the 2004 Texas epizootic in cultured shrimp. Archives Virology 155:315-327.
Rotter, D, K. Amundsen, S. Bonos, W. Meyer, S. Warnke, and F. Belanger. 2009. Molecular Genetic Linkage Map for Allotetraploid Colonial Bentgrass. Crop Science 49:1609-1619.
- Jaglo, K.R., S. Kleff, K.L. Amundsen, X. Zhang, V. Haake, J.Z. Zhang, T. Deits, M.F. Thomashow. 2001. Components of the Arabidopsis C-repeat/dehydration-responsive element binding factor cold-response pathway are conserved in Brassica napus and other plant species. Plant Physiol. Nov;127(3):910-917.