Richard B. Ferguson Associate Department Head and Soil Fertility Specialist
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
- B.S., Biology/Chemistry, Friends University, 1976
- M.S., Agronomy/Soil Fertility, Kansas State University, 1981
- PhD., Agronomy/Soil Fertility, Kansas State University, 1985
- Site-specific crop management
- Landscape position impacts on nitrogen and water use efficiency
- Use of crop canopy sensors for in-season evaluation of crop stress – particularly for nitrogen and water
- Management practices to minimize nitrogen loss to the environment
- Enhanced-efficiency fertilizers and their impact on nutrient use efficiency
- Impacts of biomass removal on long-term soil productivity
- Central Platte Nitrogen and Irrigation Management Demonstration Project – conducted in partnership with the Central Platte Natural Resources District
- Nebraska Agricultural Technologies Association
- Site-Specific Crop Management – AGRO/MSYM/AGEN 431 – fall semesters (Syllabus)
- Spatial Variability in Soils – AGRO 831 – distance course, spring semesters, even-numbered years (Syllabus)
Major Project Activities
- Nebraska representative - NCR-180 - North Central Committee on Site-Specific Management
- Nebraska representative - NCR-103 - North Central Committee on Non-Traditional Products
Soil Fertility and Nutrient Management Resources:
Recent Research Publications
- Torrion, J., J. Specht, T. Setiyano, K. Cassman, R. Ferguson and S. Irmak. 2012. Soybean root development relative to vegetative and reproductive phenology. Agron. J. 104:1702-1709.
- Roberts, D.F., R.B. Ferguson, N.R. Kitchen, V.I. Adamchuk, and J.F. Shanahan. 2012. Relationships between soil-based management zones and canopy sensing for corn nitrogen management. Agron. J. 104:119-129.
- Setiyono, T.D., H. Yang, D.T. Walters, A. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, D.R. Roberts, D.J. Lyon, D.E. Clay, K.G. Cassman. 2011. Maize-N: A decision tool for nitrogen management in maize. Agron. J. 103:1276-1283.
- Adamchuk, V.I., A.S. Mat Su, R.A. Eigenberg, and R.B. Ferguson. 2011. Development of an angular scanning system for sensing vertical profiles of soil electrical conductivity. Trans. of the ASABE 54(3):1-11.
- Shiratsuchi, L., R. Ferguson, J. Shanahan, V. Adamchuk, D. Rundquist, D. Marx and G. Slater. 2011. Water and nitrogen effects on active canopy sensor vegetation indices. Agron. J. 103:1815-1826.
- Roberts, D.F., V.I. Adamchuk, J.F. Shanahan, R.B. Ferguson, J.S. Schepers. 2011. Estimation of surface soil organic matter using a ground-based active sensor and aerial imagery. J. Precision Agriculture 12:82-102.
- Wortmann, C.S., D.D. Tarkalson, C.A. Shapiro, A.R. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, and D. Walters. 2010. Cropping system effect on nitrogen use efficiency of irrigated corn in Nebraska. Agron. J. 103:76-84.
- Dobermann, A., C.S. Wortmann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.A. Shapiro, D.D. Tarkalson, D. Walters. 2010. Nitrogen response and economics for irrigated corn in Nebraska. Agron. J. 103:67-75.
- Abunyewa, Akwasi. A., Richard B. Ferguson, Charles S. Wortmann, Drew J. Lyon, Stephen C. Mason, Suat Irmak and Robert N. Klein. 2011. Grain sorghum water use with skip-row configuration in the Central Great Plains of the USA. African J. Agric. Research 6(23):5328-5338.
- Solari, F., J. Shanahan, R. Ferguson, V. Adamchuk. 2010. An active sensor algorithm for corn N recommendations based on a chlorophyll meter algorithm. Agron. J. 102:1090-1098.
- Wortmann, C.S., A.J. Liska, R.B. Ferguson, R.N. Klein, D.J. Lyon, I. Dweikat. 2010. Dryland performance of sweet sorghum and grain crops for biofuel in Nebraska. Agron. J. 102:319-326.
- Abunyewa, A.A.., R.B. Ferguson, C.S. Wortmann, D.J. Lyon, S.C. Mason, R.N. Klein. 2010. Skip-row and plant population effects on sorghum grain yield. Agron. J. 102:296-302.
- Wortmann, C. A. Dobernamm, R. Ferguson, G. Hergert, C. Shapiro, D. Tarkalson. 2009. High-yielding corn response to applied phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur in Nebraska. Agron. J. 101:546-555.
- Hodgen, P., J. Schepers, W. Raun, J. Shanahan and R. Ferguson. 2009. Uptake of point source depleted 15N fertilizer by neighboring corn plants. Agron. J. 101:99-105.
- Roberts, D.F., V.I. Adamchuk, J.F. Shanahan, R.B. Ferguson, and J.S. Schepers. 2009. Optimization of crop canopy sensor spacing for detecting nitrogen stress in corn. Agron. J. 101:226-231.
- Ping, J.L., R.B. Ferguson and A. Dobermann. 2008. Site-specific nitrogen and plant density management in irrigated maize. Agron. J. 100:1193-1204.
- Kyaw, T., R.B. Ferguson, V.I. Adamchuk, D.B. Marx, D.D. Tarkalson, and D.L. McCallister. 2008. Delineating site-specific management zones for pH-induced iron chlorosis. J. Precision Agriculture 9: 71-84.
- Paschold, J.S., B.J. Weinhold, R.B. Ferguson, and D.L. McCallister. 2008. Soil N and P availability is similar for field applied slurry from swine fed traditional and low phytate corn diets. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 72:1096-1101.
- Paschold, J.S., B.J. Weinhold, D.L. McCallister, and R.B. Ferguson. 2008. Crop N and P utilization following application of slurry from swine fed traditional and low phytate corn diets. Agron. J. 100:997-1004.
- Solari F., J. Shanahan, R. Ferguson, J. Schepers and A.A. Gitelson. 2008. Active sensor reflectance measurements of corn nitrogen status and yield potential. Agron. J. 100:571-579.
Recent Extension Publications
- Wortmann, C., R. Ferguson, R. Klein, D. Lyon, S. Melvin. 2009. Skip-row planting of grain sorghum for improved drought tolerance. NebGuide G1976. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Ferguson, R.B. and G.W. Hergert. 2009. Soil Sampling for Precision Agriculture (revision). EC-154. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Shapiro, C.A., R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.S. Wortmann, and D.T. Walters. 2009. Fertilizer Suggestions for Corn. EC 117. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Ferguson, R.B., C.G. Henry, R.K. Koelsch, C.A. Shapiro, and C.S. Wortmann. 2007. Managing livestock manure to protect environmental quality. EC02-179. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Ferguson, R.B., G.W. Hergert, C.S. Shapiro, and C.S. Wortmann. 2007. Guidelines for Soil Sampling. NebGuide G1740. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Wortmann, C.S., A.R. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.A. Shapiro, and D. Tarkalson. 2006. Fertilizer suggestions for grain sorghum. NebGuide G1669. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Wortmann, C.S., M. Al-Kaisi, M. Helmers, J. Sawyer, D. Devlin, C. Barden, P. Scharf, R. Ferguson, W. Kranz, C. Shapiro, R. Spalding, D. Tarkalson, J. Holz, D. Francis, and J. Schepers. 2006. Agricultural nitrogen management for water quality protection in the Midwest. RP 189. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Ferguson, R., A. Dobermann, and J. Schepers. 2006. Site-Specific Nitrogen Management for Irrigated Corn. EC-163. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.