Richard B. Ferguson Associate Department Head and Soil Fertility Specialist
Area of Focus
- B.S., Biology/Chemistry, Friends University, 1976
- M.S., Agronomy/Soil Fertility, Kansas State University, 1981
- PhD., Agronomy/Soil Fertility, Kansas State University, 1985
- Site-specific crop management
- Landscape position impacts on nitrogen and water use efficiency
- Use of crop canopy sensors for in-season evaluation of crop stress – particularly for nitrogen and water
- Management practices to minimize nitrogen loss to the environment
- Enhanced-efficiency fertilizers and their impact on nutrient use efficiency
- Impacts of biomass removal on long-term soil productivity
- Central Platte Nitrogen and Irrigation Management Demonstration Project – conducted in partnership with the Central Platte Natural Resources District
- Nebraska Agricultural Technologies Association
- Site-Specific Crop Management – AGRO/MSYM/AGEN 431 – fall semesters (Syllabus)
- Spatial Variability in Soils – AGRO 831 – distance course, spring semesters, even-numbered years (Syllabus)
Major Project Activities
- Nebraska representative - NCR-180 - North Central Committee on Site-Specific Management
- Nebraska representative - NCR-103 - North Central Committee on Non-Traditional Products
Soil Fertility and Nutrient Management Resources:
Recent Research Publications
- Torrion, J., J. Specht, T. Setiyano, K. Cassman, R. Ferguson and S. Irmak. 2012. Soybean root development relative to vegetative and reproductive phenology. Agron. J. 104:1702-1709.
- Roberts, D.F., R.B. Ferguson, N.R. Kitchen, V.I. Adamchuk, and J.F. Shanahan. 2012. Relationships between soil-based management zones and canopy sensing for corn nitrogen management. Agron. J. 104:119-129.
- Setiyono, T.D., H. Yang, D.T. Walters, A. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, D.R. Roberts, D.J. Lyon, D.E. Clay, K.G. Cassman. 2011. Maize-N: A decision tool for nitrogen management in maize. Agron. J. 103:1276-1283.
- Adamchuk, V.I., A.S. Mat Su, R.A. Eigenberg, and R.B. Ferguson. 2011. Development of an angular scanning system for sensing vertical profiles of soil electrical conductivity. Trans. of the ASABE 54(3):1-11.
- Shiratsuchi, L., R. Ferguson, J. Shanahan, V. Adamchuk, D. Rundquist, D. Marx and G. Slater. 2011. Water and nitrogen effects on active canopy sensor vegetation indices. Agron. J. 103:1815-1826.
Roberts, D.F., V.I. Adamchuk, J.F. Shanahan, R.B. Ferguson, J.S. Schepers. 2011. Estimation of surface soil organic matter using a ground-based active sensor and aerial imagery. J. Precision Agriculture 12:82-102.
- Wortmann, C.S., D.D. Tarkalson, C.A. Shapiro, A.R. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, and D. Walters. 2010. Cropping system effect on nitrogen use efficiency of irrigated corn in Nebraska. Agron. J. 103:76-84.
- Dobermann, A., C.S. Wortmann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.A. Shapiro, D.D. Tarkalson, D. Walters. 2010. Nitrogen response and economics for irrigated corn in Nebraska. Agron. J. 103:67-75.
Abunyewa, Akwasi. A., Richard B. Ferguson, Charles S. Wortmann, Drew J. Lyon, Stephen C. Mason, Suat Irmak and Robert N. Klein. 2011. Grain sorghum water use with skip-row configuration in the Central Great Plains of the USA. African J. Agric. Research 6(23):5328-5338.
Solari, F., J. Shanahan, R. Ferguson, V. Adamchuk. 2010. An active sensor algorithm for corn N recommendations based on a chlorophyll meter algorithm. Agron. J. 102:1090-1098.
Wortmann, C.S., A.J. Liska, R.B. Ferguson, R.N. Klein, D.J. Lyon, I. Dweikat. 2010. Dryland performance of sweet sorghum and grain crops for biofuel in Nebraska. Agron. J. 102:319-326.
Abunyewa, A.A.., R.B. Ferguson, C.S. Wortmann, D.J. Lyon, S.C. Mason, R.N. Klein. 2010. Skip-row and plant population effects on sorghum grain yield. Agron. J. 102:296-302.
Wortmann, C. A. Dobernamm, R. Ferguson, G. Hergert, C. Shapiro, D. Tarkalson. 2009. High-yielding corn response to applied phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur in Nebraska. Agron. J. 101:546-555.
Hodgen, P., J. Schepers, W. Raun, J. Shanahan and R. Ferguson. 2009. Uptake of point source depleted 15N fertilizer by neighboring corn plants. Agron. J. 101:99-105.
Roberts, D.F., V.I. Adamchuk, J.F. Shanahan, R.B. Ferguson, and J.S. Schepers. 2009. Optimization of crop canopy sensor spacing for detecting nitrogen stress in corn. Agron. J. 101:226-231.
Ping, J.L., R.B. Ferguson and A. Dobermann. 2008. Site-specific nitrogen and plant density management in irrigated maize. Agron. J. 100:1193-1204.
Kyaw, T., R.B. Ferguson, V.I. Adamchuk, D.B. Marx, D.D. Tarkalson, and D.L. McCallister. 2008. Delineating site-specific management zones for pH-induced iron chlorosis. J. Precision Agriculture 9: 71-84.
Paschold, J.S., B.J. Weinhold, R.B. Ferguson, and D.L. McCallister. 2008. Soil N and P availability is similar for field applied slurry from swine fed traditional and low phytate corn diets. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 72:1096-1101.
Paschold, J.S., B.J. Weinhold, D.L. McCallister, and R.B. Ferguson. 2008. Crop N and P utilization following application of slurry from swine fed traditional and low phytate corn diets. Agron. J. 100:997-1004.
- Solari F., J. Shanahan, R. Ferguson, J. Schepers and A.A. Gitelson. 2008. Active sensor reflectance measurements of corn nitrogen status and yield potential. Agron. J. 100:571-579.
Recent Extension Publications
Wortmann, C., R. Ferguson, R. Klein, D. Lyon, S. Melvin. 2009. Skip-row planting of grain sorghum for improved drought tolerance. NebGuide G1976. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Ferguson, R.B. and G.W. Hergert. 2009. Soil Sampling for Precision Agriculture (revision). EC-154. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Shapiro, C.A., R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.S. Wortmann, and D.T. Walters. 2009. Fertilizer Suggestions for Corn. EC 117. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Ferguson, R.B., C.G. Henry, R.K. Koelsch, C.A. Shapiro, and C.S. Wortmann. 2007. Managing livestock manure to protect environmental quality. EC02-179. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Ferguson, R.B., G.W. Hergert, C.S. Shapiro, and C.S. Wortmann. 2007. Guidelines for Soil Sampling. NebGuide G1740. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Wortmann, C.S., A.R. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.A. Shapiro, and D. Tarkalson. 2006. Fertilizer suggestions for grain sorghum. NebGuide G1669. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
Wortmann, C.S., M. Al-Kaisi, M. Helmers, J. Sawyer, D. Devlin, C. Barden, P. Scharf, R. Ferguson, W. Kranz, C. Shapiro, R. Spalding, D. Tarkalson, J. Holz, D. Francis, and J. Schepers. 2006. Agricultural nitrogen management for water quality protection in the Midwest. RP 189. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Ferguson, R., A. Dobermann, and J. Schepers. 2006. Site-Specific Nitrogen Management for Irrigated Corn. EC-163. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.