Wednesday, June 28, 2017
8:00 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Clay Center, NE
Including On-site Demonstration of Herbicides for Weed Control in Corn, Popcorn
and Soybean and a View of Ongoing Cover Crop Research
8:00 a.m. – Registration (no cost) Enjoy rolls & coffee!
All tours depart from the shop building area.
8:30 – 10:15 a.m. – Demonstration of projects for weed control in soybean
10:15 – 10:30 a.m. – Break (Refreshments provided)
10:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. – Demonstration of projects for weed control in corn, popcorn and sorghum
12:15 – 1:00 p.m. – Lunch (Free)
1:00 – 3 p.m.Cover crops research demonstrations
3:00 p.m. End of field day. Thank you for coming. Have a good trip home!
Tour 1: On-Site Demonstration of New Technology/Herbicides for Weed Control in Soybean
- Comparison of Herbicide Programs for Weed Control in Soybean: Unbiased comparison of several herbicide programs of different companies for weed control in Roundup Ready, Liberty Link and xtend soybeans. Few new herbicides in soybean will be discussed.
- Weed control and crop safety in Roundup Ready 2Xtend Soybean: Understand dicamba based weed control program and crop safety in dicamba-resistant soybean.
- Weed Control in Balance Bean: Balance Bean soybean is tolerant to Balance Flexx, glyphosate, and Liberty. Herbicide programs will be discussed for weed control in Balance Bean.
- Weed Control in Bolt Soybean: Bolt soybean is tolerant to ALS inhibiting herbicides. Herbicide programs will be discussed for weed control in Bolt Bean.
- Herbicide Programs for Weed Control in Conventional Soybean: Several herbicide programs with different modes of action will be compared for broad-spectrum weed control in conventional soybean.
Tour 2: On-Site Demonstration of Herbicides for Weed Control in Corn, Popcorn & Sorghum
- Comparison of Herbicide Programs for Weed Control in Corn: Unbiased comparison of several herbicide programs by different companies for weed control in glyphosate plus glufosinate- resistant corn. Several new herbicides in corn will be discussed.
- Effect of raw spacing and herbicide on weed control in popcorn: Effect of 30 and 15 inch or twin rows and PRE vs POST herbicide application on weed control in popcorn.
- DiFlexx DUO for Weed Control in Corn: DiFlexx DUO is a premix of DiFlexx and Laudis with CSI safener. The project will demonstrate weed control and crop safety with DiFlexx DUO applied at different rates compared with other POST herbicides in corn.
- Weed control and crop response in INZEN Sorghum: INZEN sorghum is tolerant to ALS inhibiting herbicide-nicosulfuron (Zest). Herbicide programs will be discussed for weed control in INZEN sorghum.
- Injury symptoms of dicamba and 2,4-D: Injury symptoms of dicamba or 2,4-D on number of crops.
Tour 3: On-Site Demonstration of Cover Crops
1 – 1:15 p.m. – Travel from the shop to Location 1
1:15 – 2:00 p.m. – Location 1 – Cover crops in corn and soybean systems including planting dates, plant populations and maturities. Walk cover crop experiments planted in corn and/or soybean.
2:00 – 2:15 p.m. – Travel from Location 1 to Location 2.
2:15 – 3:00 p.m. – Location 2 – Cover crop pluses and minuses: Bio-mass, nitrogen for the following crop, nitrates, erosion, water use and crop yields.
3:00 p.m. – Transport back to the shop.
Dr. Amit Jhala, Extension Weed Management Specialist
Dr. Roger Elmore, Cropping Systems Specialist
Irvin Schleufer, Sharon Hachtel and Caleb Wilford
Ron Seymour, Jennifer Rees and Todd Whitney
Several sponsors joined with the University of Nebraska–Lincoln to support Weed Management Field Day.
We thank all sponsors for their generous support and promotion of Weed Science Research and Extension in Nebraska.
Eastern Nebraska Research & Extension Center
Nebraska Corn Board
Nebraska Soybean Board
South Central Agricultural Laboratory