Website:·Center for Plant Science Innovation Lab
B.S., Moleculary Biology, University of Texas at Austin, 1999
M.S., Bioinformatics, Indiana University, 2003
Ph.D., Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology, Indiana University, 2005
Area of Focus
Plant Comparative Genomics
- Molecular evolution and comparative genomics of plant mitochondrial, plastid, and nuclear genomes.
- Origin and evolution of novel genomic features, such as genes, introns, and RNA editing.
- Extent and mechanisms of horizontal gene transfer between parasitic plants and their host plants.
- Substitution rate variation across plant genomes and lineages.
- Systematics of major vascular plant lineages, including angiosperms, gymnosperms, ferns, and lycophytes.
Major Project Activities
- Next-gen sequencing of plant mitochondrial, chloroplast, and nuclear genomes and transcriptomes
- Genome and transcriptome assembly and annotation
- Molecular evolutionary and comparative genomics analyses
- Grewe F, Guo W, Gubbels EA, Hansen AK, Mower JP. Complete plastid genomes from Ophioglossum californicum, Psilotum nudum, and Equisetum hyemale reveal an ancestral land plant genome structure and resolve the position of Equisetales among monilophytes. BMC Evol Biol 2013, 13:8.
- Hepburn NJ, Schmidt DW, Mower JP. Loss of two introns from the Magnolia tripetala mitochondrial cox2 gene implicates horizontal gene transfer and gene conversion as a novel mechanism of intron loss. Mol Biol Evol 2012, 29:3111-3120.
- Mower JP, Case AL, Floro ER, Willis JH. Evidence against equimolarity of large repeat arrangements and a predominant master circle structure of the mitochondrial genome from a monkeyflower (Mimulus guttatus) lineage with cryptic CMS. Genome Biol Evol 2012, 4:670-686.
- Mower JP, Stefanovic S, Hao W, Gummow JS, Jain K, Ahmed D, Palmer JD. Horizontal acquisition of multiple mitochondrial genes from a parasitic plant followed by gene conversion with host mitochondrial genes. BMC Biol 2010, 8:150.
- Mower JP. The PREP suite: predictive RNA editors for plant mitochondrial genes, chloroplast genes and user-defined alignments. Nucleic Acids Res 2009, 37:W253-259.
- Mower JP, Bonen L. Ribosomal protein L10 is encoded in the mitochondrial genome of many land plants and green algae. BMC Evol Biol 2009, 9:265.
- Mower JP, Touzet P, Gummow JS, Delph LS, Palmer JD. Extensive variation in synonymous substitution rates in mitochondrial genes of seed plants. BMC Evol Biol 2007, 7:135.
- Chumley TW, Palmer JD, Mower JP, Fourcade HM, Calie PJ, Boore JL, Jansen RK. The complete chloroplast genome sequence of Pelargonium x hortorum: Organization and evolution of the largest and most highly rearranged chloroplast genome of land plants. Mol Biol Evol 2006, 23:2175-2190.
- Mower JP, Palmer JD. Patterns of partial RNA editing in mitochondrial genes of Beta vulgaris. Mol Genet Genomics 2006, 276:285-293.
- Cho Y, Mower JP, Qiu YL, Palmer JD. Mitochondrial substitution rates are extraordinarily elevated in a genus of flowering plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004, 101:17741-17746.
- Mower JP, Stefanovic S, Young GJ, Palmer JD. Gene transfer from parasitic to host plants. Nature 2004, 432:165-166.