Alexander D. Pavlista Professor, Crop Physiologist, and Extension Potato Specialist
(click on Back button in browser to return to this page)
Area of Focus
Plant Growth, Potato Production, and Pest Management
- B.S., Biological Science, Manhattan College, 1968
- Ph.D., Biology, City University of New York, 1977
- Plant Growth and Development
- Limited Irrigation
- Potato Production
Major Project Activities
Extension: Major program activities on potato are the newsletter 'Nebraska Potato Eyes' and the web-site 'Potato Education Guides' also blight forecasting, pest alerts, diagnostic field tours, and cultivar evaluation. Participate in Extension programs on corn, dry bean, oilseed crops, and wheat.
Research: Recent programs encompassed the effects of limiting irrigation on potato, canola, camelina, fenugreek, winter wheat and cellulosic grasses. A study has begun evaluating potato starch production under non-irrigated, organic conditions in western Nebraska.
The major focus is potato production and pest management which include publishing NebGuides and the web-site Potato Education Guide. Additional extension programming concern winter wheat and cellulosic grasses, and alternate crops such as canola, camelina and fenugreek.
- Pavlista, A.D. 2013 (in press). Influence of foliar-applied growth retardants on Russet Burbank potato tuber production. Amer. Jour. Potato Research 90:xx
- Pavlista, A.D., D.K. Santra, G.W. Hergert, and J. Schild. 2012. Growth promotion of dry bean types by gibberellic acid. HortScience 47:637-642.
- Pavlista, A.D., D.D. Baltensperger, T.A. Isbell, and G.W. Hergert. 2012. Comparative growth of spring-planted canola, brown mustard and camelina in western Nebraska. Industrial Crops and Products 36:9-13.
- Woodard, J.D., K.A. Ward, G.D. Schnitkey, P.A. Burgener, and A.D. Pavlista. 2012. Economics of skip-row corn. in the Central Great Plains: Production and insurance implications. Amer. Jour. Agricultural Economics 94:823-837.
- Pavlista, A.D. 2011. Growth regulators stimulate yield production of Atlantic potato. Amer. Jour. Potato Research 88:479-484.
- Pavlista, A.D. and C. Gall. 2011. Delaying early blight onset in potato with thidiazuron. Amer. Jour. Potato research. Amer. Jour. Potato Research 88:114-120.
- Pavlista, A.D., T.A. Isbell, D D. Baltensperger, and G.W. Hergert. 2011. Planting date and development of spring-seeded irrigated canola, brown mustard and camelina. Industrial Crops and Products 33:451-456.
- Pavlista, A.D., D. K. Santra, T.A. Isbell, D D. Baltensperger, G.W. Hergert, J. Krall, A. Mesbach, J. Johnson, M. O'Neil, R. Aiken, A. Berrada. 2011. Adaptability of irrigated spring canola oil production to the US High Plains. Industrial Crops and Products 33:165-169.
- Harveson, R.M., D.K. Santra, A.D. Pavlista, M.L. Putnam, and M. Curtis. 2011. A New Report for Downy Mildew (Hyaloperonospora camelinae Gäum.) Göker, Voglmayr, Riethm., M. Weiss & Oberw.) of Camelina (Camelina sativa (L.) Crantz in the High Plains of the United States. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094/PHP-2011-1014-01-BR
- Pavlista, A.D., G.W. Hergert, D.D. Baltensperger, and S. Knox. 2010. Reducing height and lodging of winter wheat. Crop Management. doi:10.1094/CM-2010-0806-01-RS
- Pavlista, A.D., D.D. Baltensperger, and S. Knox. 2010. Inhibiting lodging of wheatgrass for seed production. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2010-0611-02-RS
- Pavlista, A.D., D.J. Lyon, D.D. Baltensperger, and G.W. Hergert. 2010. Yield components as affected by planting dryland maize in a double-skip row pattern. Jour. Crop Improvement 24:131-141.
- Lyon, D.J., A.D. Pavlista, G.W. Hergert, R.N. Klein, C.A. Shapiro, S. Knezevic, S.C. Mason, L.A. Nelson, D.D. Baltensperger, R.W. Elmore, M.F. Vigil, A.J. Schlegel, B.L. Olsen, and R.M. Aiken. 2009. Skip-row planting patterns stabilize corn grain yields in the Central Great Plains. Crop Management doi:10:1094/CM-2009-0224-02-RS
The Potato Association of America, European Association of Potato Research, American Society of Horticultural Science, and Plant Growth Regulator Society of America.
- President of The Potato Association of America (2007-2008)
- Executive Committee of The PAA (2002-2014)
- Board of Governors of the Western Nebraska Community Colleges
Conversant in French and Czech