Alexander D. Pavlista Professor, Crop Physiologist, and Extension Potato Specialist
Area of Focus
Plant Growth, Potato
Production, and Pest
- B.S., Biological Science, Manhattan College, 1968
- Ph.D., Biology, City University of New York, 1977
- Plant Growth and Development
- Limited Irrigation
- Potato Production
Major Project Activities
Extension: Major program activities on potato are the newsletter 'Nebraska Potato Eyes' and the web-site 'Potato Education Guides' also blight forecasting, pest alerts, diagnostic field tours, and cultivar evaluation. Participate in Extension programs on corn, dry bean, oilseed crops, and wheat.
Research: Recent programs encompassed the effects of limiting irrigation on potato, canola, camelina, fenugreek, winter wheat and cellulosic grasses. A study has begun evaluating potato starch production under non-irrigated, organic conditions in western Nebraska.
The major focus is potato production and pest management which include publishing NebGuides and the web-site Potato Education Guide. Additional extension programming concern winter wheat and cellulosic grasses, and alternate crops such as canola, camelina and fenugreek.
- Pavlista, A.D. 2013 (in press). Influence of foliar-applied growth retardants on Russet Burbank potato tuber production. Amer. Jour. Potato Research 90:xx
- Pavlista, A.D., D.K. Santra, G.W. Hergert, and J. Schild. 2012. Growth promotion of dry bean types by gibberellic acid. HortScience 47:637-642.
- Pavlista, A.D., D.D. Baltensperger, T.A. Isbell, and G.W. Hergert. 2012. Comparative growth of spring-planted canola, brown mustard and camelina in western Nebraska. Industrial Crops and Products 36:9-13.
- Woodard, J.D., K.A. Ward, G.D. Schnitkey, P.A. Burgener, and A.D. Pavlista. 2012. Economics of skip-row corn. in the Central Great Plains: Production and insurance implications. Amer. Jour. Agricultural Economics 94:823-837.
- Pavlista, A.D. 2011. Growth regulators stimulate yield production of Atlantic potato. Amer. Jour. Potato Research 88:479-484.
- Pavlista, A.D. and C. Gall. 2011. Delaying early blight onset in potato with thidiazuron. Amer. Jour. Potato research. Amer. Jour. Potato Research 88:114-120.
- Pavlista, A.D., T.A. Isbell, D D. Baltensperger, and G.W. Hergert. 2011. Planting date and development of spring-seeded irrigated canola, brown mustard and camelina. Industrial Crops and Products 33:451-456.
- Pavlista, A.D., D. K. Santra, T.A. Isbell, D D. Baltensperger, G.W. Hergert, J. Krall, A. Mesbach, J. Johnson, M. O'Neil, R. Aiken, A. Berrada. 2011. Adaptability of irrigated spring canola oil production to the US High Plains. Industrial Crops and Products 33:165-169.
- Harveson, R.M., D.K. Santra, A.D. Pavlista, M.L. Putnam, and M. Curtis. 2011. A New Report for Downy Mildew (Hyaloperonospora camelinae Gäum.) Göker, Voglmayr, Riethm., M. Weiss & Oberw.) of Camelina (Camelina sativa (L.) Crantz in the High Plains of the United States. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094/PHP-2011-1014-01-BR
- Pavlista, A.D., G.W. Hergert, D.D. Baltensperger, and S. Knox. 2010. Reducing height and lodging of winter wheat. Crop Management. doi:10.1094/CM-2010-0806-01-RS
- Pavlista, A.D., D.D. Baltensperger, and S. Knox. 2010. Inhibiting lodging of wheatgrass for seed production. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2010-0611-02-RS
- Pavlista, A.D., D.J. Lyon, D.D. Baltensperger, and G.W. Hergert. 2010. Yield components as affected by planting dryland maize in a double-skip row pattern. Jour. Crop Improvement 24:131-141.
- Lyon, D.J., A.D. Pavlista, G.W. Hergert, R.N. Klein, C.A. Shapiro, S. Knezevic, S.C. Mason, L.A. Nelson, D.D. Baltensperger, R.W. Elmore, M.F. Vigil, A.J. Schlegel, B.L. Olsen, and R.M. Aiken. 2009. Skip-row planting patterns stabilize corn grain yields in the Central Great Plains. Crop Management doi:10:1094/CM-2009-0224-02-RS
The Potato Association of America, European Association of Potato Research, American Society of Horticultural Science, and Plant Growth Regulator Society of America.
- President of The Potato Association of America (2007-2008)
- Executive Committee of The PAA (2002-2014)
- Board of Governors of the Western Nebraska Community Colleges
Conversant in French and Czech