Paul E. Read
Paul E. Read
B.S., Extension Education,Cornell University, 1959
M.S. Vegetable Crops, Cornell University, 1964
Ph.D., Biological Sciences, University of Delaware, 1967
Area of Focus
Improvement and multiplication of horticultural crops via tissue culture and applied biotechnology; principles and practices for better understanding adaptability of grapes and other fruits to Nebraska conditions; multiplication of novel and newly selected plants useful for the horticulture industry in Nebraska, the Great Plains, and beyond.
Serving as a resource for Nebraska's developing grape and wine industry; publication of the Nebraska VineLines (4 to 6 issues/year); coordination of educational programs on viticulture and enology, including Annual Nebraska Winery and GrapeGrowers Forum and Trade Show, winemaking schools, Field Days, and workshops on specific topics, such as weed management, pruning, and disease management; assisting the horticultural industry in adopting practices that facilitate rapid introduction of new and improved genotypes of horticultural crops.
Major Project Activities
Evaluation of cultivars ("varieties") and breeders' selections of grapes (over 70 on trial in several locations in Nebraska); studies of cultural practices, physiology and phenology for grapes and other fruits with regard to their suitability for adoption by the developing grape and wine industry; refining forcing solution and other tissue culture techniques for enhanced efficiency of multiplication of horticultural crops selected/bred for potential introduction, especially vegetatively propagated species; assisting potential growers and entrepreneurs in assessing and implementing potential opportunities in Nebraska's developing grape and wine industry.
- Physiology of Horticultural Crops (co-taught with Dr. Paparozzi) (HORT/352)
- Vegetable Crop Production Lab (HORT/353)
- Fruit Production Lab (HORT/354)
- Vines, Wines and You - HORT/NUTR 471/871 (HORT/471)
- Bavougian, C.M., P.E. Read, V.L. Schlegel, and K.J. Hanford. 2012. Canopy light effects in multiple training systems on yield soluble solids, acidity, phenol and flavonoid concentration of -Frontenac' grapes. HortTech.
- Qrunfleh, I.M. and P.E. Read. 2012. Delaying bud break in -Edelweiss' grapevines to avoid spring frost injury by NAA and vegetable oil applications. Intl. J. of Applied Science and Technology.
- Read, P.E., J.A. Schild, and S.J. Gamet. 2012. Ten Years of Western Nebraska Grape Cultivar Trials. Hort. Sci. 47(9) (supplement) for 2012 ASHS Annual Conference, Miami, Fla.
- Paparozzi, E.T., G.M. Meyer, S.A. Adams, M.E. Conley, B. Loseke*, and P.E. Read. 2012. Greenhouse Production of Strawberries during the winter. Hort. Sci. 47(9) (supplement) for 2012 ASHS Annual Conference, Miami, Fla.
- Read, P.E., and C.M. Bavougian*. 2012. In Vitro Rejuvenation of Woody Species. In: Protocols for Micropropagation of Selected Economically-Important Horticulture Plants, M. Lambardi, A.E. Ozudogru, M. Jain (Eds.). Chapter 31. pp. 383-396. Springer-Humana Press. (Book Chapter).
- Read, P.E. and Qrunfleh, I.M.* 2011. Use of NAA and Vegetable Oil to Delay Bud Break in Vitis spp. Hort. Sci. 46(9). 2011 ASHS Annual Conference, Waikoloa, HI.
- Paparozzi, E.T., G.M. Meyer, M.E. Conley, S.A. Adams, E.E. Blankenship, P.E. Read, and V.L. Schlegel. 2011. Cultivar choice affects quality and production of winter-grown strawberries. Hort. Sci. 46(9). 2011 ASHS Annual Conference, Waikoloa, HI.
- Reusse, R.M., J.E. Strattore, D.A. Smith, P.E. Read, S.L. Cuppett and A.M. Parkhurst. 2010. Malolactic fermentation as a technique for the deacidification of hard apple cider. J. Food Sci. 75(1):C-74-C-78.
- Ikten, Hatice* and Paul E. Read. 2010. The effects of growth regulators on micropropagation of grapevine (Vitis spp.) 'Marechal Foch' and 'Lacrosse'. Intl J. of Fruit Science 10:1-12.
- Sidiqi, J., S.N. Wegulu, P.E. Read and P.S. Baenziger. 2009. Frequency of resistance to stem rust race TPMK in Afghan wheat cultivars. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 31:1-4. Sidiqi was PSB's student; my role was collaborator and assisting with writing mss.
- Yang, G.**, Z. Lu, T.M. Asante and Paul E. Read. 2008. In vitro callus introduction and shoot initiation of American chestnut (Castanea dentata). J. Jilin Agricultural University 30:466-471. Yang was my Ph.D. student.
- Read, Paul E. 2008. Tissue culture propagation: where we are, where we're going. Combined Proc. Intern. Plant Propagators Soc. 57:371-379.
- Read, P.E., Editor-in-Chief. 2008. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Plant Biotechnology: From Bench to Commercialization (Symposium 10 of the 27th International Horticultural Congress). Acta Hort. 764:331 pages.
- Read, P.E. and K.-Y. Paek. 2008. Plant tissue culture: Past, present and prospects for the future. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Plant Biotechnology: From Bench to Commercialization. Acta Hort 764:41-48.
- Read, P.E. 2008. Propagation of sumac by root cuttings. In: Plant Propagation: Concepts and Exercises (Beyle & Trigiano, eds.) pp 253-257.
- Read, P.E. 2007. Micropropagation: Past, present and future. Acta. Hort 748:17-27.
- Read, P.E., M.N. Nas** and V.I. Miller. 2007. Acclimatization and establishment of micropropagated plants of hazelnut (Corylus spp.) hybrid. Acta Hort. 748:199-202.
- Bigger, B.B.* and P.E. Read. 2007. Multiplication and acclimatization of 'Norton' grapevine (Vitis aestivalis). Acta Hort 748:203-205.
- Read, P.E. and J.E. Preece**. 2007. Micropropagation of ornamental plants: the wave of the future? Propagation of Ornamental Plants 7:150-157.
- Preece, J.E.** and P.E. Read. 2007. Forcing leafy explants and cuttings from woody species. Propagation of Ornamental Plants 7:138-144.
- Yang, G. and P.E. Read. 2007. Sequential additions of plant growth regulators in the forcing solution enhanced propagation of woody plants. Joint Conference of International Plant Growth Substances Association (IPGSA), Plant Growth Regulation Society of America (PGRSA), and JSCRP (Japanese Society), Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, July 21-25, 2007, abstract #PS1006, p 96.
- El-Naggar, H.* and P. Read. 2006. Rosmarinus officinalis phenylalanine ammonia-lyase mRNA, partial cdsgi/110810099/gb/DQ680016.1. NCBI GenBank.
- Read, P.E., S. Gu, S. Gamet and J. Schild. 2005. Testing of varieties and selections under challenging climatic conditions. Acta Hort 655:67-72.
- Preece, J.E.**and P.E. Read. 2005. The Biology of Horticulture. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- Yang, G., and Read, P. E. (2004). Protein Expression of Forced Softwood Growth in Relation to Plant Growth Regulators in Forcing Solution. Proceedings of the Plant Growth Regulation Society of America, 31, 123.
- Gu, S.*, and P.E. Read. 2004. The influence of plant growth regulators included in the forcing solution on bud break of dormant grapevines (Vitis spp.). Acta Hort 640:225-234.
- Gu, S.* and P.E. Read. 2004. Investigations on lateral buds and starch granules of dormant Vitis vines by scanning electron microscopy. Acta Hort 640:219-223.
- Read, P.E., V.I. Miller and M.N. Nas**. 2004. Medium development, micropropagation and acclimatization of difficult-to-propagate hazelnut (Corylus spp) hybrids. Comb. Proc. Intl. Plant Propagators Soc. 54:531-534.
- Nas, M.N.* and P.E. Read. 2004. Improved rooting and acclimatization of micropropagated hazelnut shoots. HortScience 39:1688-1690.
- Nas, M.N.*, N. Mutlu and P.E. Read. 2004. Random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) analysis of long-term cultured hybrid hazelnut. HortScience 39:1079-1082.
- Nas, M.M.*, and P.E. Read. 2004. A hypothesis for the development of a defined tissue culture medium of higher plants and micropropagation of hazelnuts. ScientiaHort 101:189-200.
- Nas, Mehmet Nuri*, Kent M. Eskridge and Paul E. Read. 2005. Experimental designs suitable for testing many factors with a limited number of explants in tissure culture. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 81: 213-220.
- Fei, Shui-Zhang, Terry Riordan and Paul Read. 2002. Stepwise decrease of 2,4-D and addition of BA in subculture medium stimulated shoot regeneration and somatic embryogenesis in buffalograss. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 70:275-279.
- Economou, A.S. and P.E. Read. 2002. Acclimatization and establishment of micropropagated plants. Chronica Horticulturae. 42(2):20-21.
- Nas, M.N. and P.E. Read. 2001. Micropropagation of hybrid hazelnut: medium composition, physical state and iron source affect shoot morphogenesis, multiplication and explant vitality. Acta Hort.. 556:251-258.
- Ercisli, S. and P. Read. 2001. Propagation of hazelnut by softwood and semi-hardwood cuttings under Nebraska conditions. Acta Hort. 556:275-279.
- Ercisli, S. and P. E. Read and M.N. Nas. 2001. Effect of forcing solution composition on budbreak and shoot elongation of four hybrid hazelnut genotypes. Acta Hort. 556:259-261.
- Fei, S., U.S. Bishnoi, T. Riordan and P. Read, 2001. Embryogenic callus induction and plant regeneration of buffalograss through leaf base and seedling segment culture. Intl. Turfgrass Soc.Res.J.9:161-164.
- Read, P.E., B. T. Hamooh and G. Yang. 2001. Forcing solution technology generates quality propagules. N. Amer. Plant Propagator 13:15-18.
- Szendrak, E. and P.E. Read. 2000. In vitro propagation and anatomical studies of temperate orchid species (Orchidaceae). Acta Hort. 520:75-80.
- Kefi, S., A.D. Pavlista, P.E. Read and S. D. Kachman. 2000. Comparison of thidiazuron and two nitroguanidines to kinetin on potato microtuberization in vitro under long and short days. J. Plant Growth Regulation 19:429-436.
- Walker, R.R., Read, P.E. and Blackmore, D.H. (2000) Rootstock and salinity effects on rates of berry maturation, ion accumulation and colour development in Shiraz grapes. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research 6, 227-239.
- Fei, S., P.E. Read and T.P. Riordan. 2000. Improvement of embryogenic callus induction and shoot regeneration of buffalograss by silver nitrate. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 60:97-203.
- Kefi, Servet., A.D. Pavlista, M.M. Meagher and P.E. Read. 2000. Invertase Activity as affected by cytokinin-like compounds during potato tuberization in vitro. Amer. J. Potal Res. 77:57-61.
- Hamooh, Bahget and Paul E. Read. 1999. Silver thiosulfate (STS) alone and in combination with gibberellic acid (GA3) in the forcing solution influenced bud break and shoot elongation of dormant woody plant species. Proc. Plant Gr. Regul. Soc. Amer. 25:191-192.
- Riordan, T.P., S. Fei, P.G. Johnson, and P.E. Read, 1998. Plant Breeding, Plant Regeneration and Flow Cytometry in Buffalograss. In: Turfgrass Biotechnology: Cell and Molecular Genetic Approaches for Turfgrass Improvement, M. B. Sticklen and M.P. Kenna, eds. pp 183-193. Ann Arbor Press.
- Szendrak, Erika, Paul E. Read, Jon S. Miller and Marta Nadaskuti. 1998. Teaching prospects of plant biotechnology for high school. Lippay Janos and Vas Karoly Int. Scientific Symposium pp. 114-115.
- From, M.M. and P. Read. 1998. Platanthera praclara: Strategies for conversation and propagation. N. Amer. Native Orchid Journal 4:299-331.
- Szendrak, E., Paul E. Read and Guochen Yang. 1997. Prevention and elimination of contamination for in vitro culture of several woody species. In: Pathogen and Microbial Contamination Management in Micropropagation (A.C. Cassells, ed): 233-236. Kluwer Acad. Pub., Dordrecht.
- Tawfik, A.A. Read, P.E. and Cuppett, S.L. 1997. Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary): In vitro culture, regeneration of plants and the level of essential oil and monoterpenoid constituents. In: Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry, Bajaj (Ed.), Medicinal and Aromatic Plants X, vol. 41: 349-365. (Book Chapter)
- Yang, G. and P.E. Read. 1997. In vitro shoot proliferation of 5-leaf aralia from field grown plants and forced dormant stems. J. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Cult. 47:289-291.
- Mohamed, M.F., D.P. Coyne and P.E. Read. 1997. Enhancement effect of CPPU on differentiation of somatic embryoids in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). PGRSA Quarterly 24:97-103.
* Student advised by Paul E. Read.
** Continued collaboration post-graduation.