Richard K. Sutton Professor
Area of Focus
Program in Landscape Architecture (College of Architecture)
- B.S., Forest Biology, Colorado State University, 1970
- M.S., Landscape Architecture, Utah State University, 1974
- Ph.D., Land Resources, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1997
Major Research Activities
Low Input Extensive Green Roofs
- Native Plant Materials
- Rural Landscapes
- Landscape Assessment
- Visual Analysis Impacts of Wind Development
- HORT/GEOG/LARC 200, Landscape & Environmental Appreciation
- HORT/NRES/LARC 212, Landscape Plants I
- HORT 265, Graphic Communication for Landscape Design
- HORT 267, Introduction to Landscape Design
- HORT 300, Landscape Construction
- HORT/LARC 498, Topics in Landscape Architecture
- LARC 497/597 Green Roof Design, Construction and Management
Major Project Activities
- UCARE Project Green Roof Plants
- UCARE Project Landscape Plant CD
Pro Bono designs for:
- Lincoln Public Schools
- Veterans Park, Falls City, NE
- Entry Road, Brunning, NE
Private Consultations--Landscape architecture services (selected projects):
- LPS/NRD Conservation Easement Management Plan
- Nebraska State Capitol Grounds Restoration
- City of Lincoln: Plant materials for Holmes Lake restoration; median designs
- Hastings campus Central Community College sustainable landscape master plan
- Wyuka Cemetary, Lincoln NE, Urban wetland; urban stream bioengineering
- Hebron, NE, River trail master plan
Link to Papers at UNL Digital Commons:
Use "Richard K. Sutton" in quotes as Author
in an advanced Digital Commons search.
Sutton, R. K, S. Rodie, and D. Shelton (2014) Stormwater Management: Green Roof Basics. NebGuide G2244, UNebraska-Lincoln, Extension Publication http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=1662
Sutton, R. K. (2014) Aesthetics for green roofs and green walls. Journal of Living Architecture. 1(2): 1-20. http://greenroofs.org/resources/JOLA2014Volume1(Issue2)Sutton.pdf
Sutton, R. K. (2013) Rethinking Extensive Green Roofs to Lessen Emphasis on Biomass. Journal of Living Architecture. November (10) 2 pages http://greenroofs.org/resources/JOLA2013Volume1(Issue1)Sutton(2).pdf
Sutton, R. K. (2013) Seeding Green Roofs with Native Grasses. Journal of Living Architecture. November 1(1) 26 pages http://greenroofs.org/resources/JOLA2013Volume1(Issue1)Sutton.pdf
Richard Sutton (2013) Sights (Sites) Worth Saving Conversations Worth Having Prairie Fire, September http://www.prairiefirenewspaper.com/2013/09/sights-sites-worth-saving-conversations-worth-having
- Richard K. Sutton, John A. Harrington, Lee Skabelund, Peter MacDonagh, Reid R. Coffman, and Gord Koch PRAIRIE-BASED GREEN ROOFS: LITERATURE, TEMPLATES, AND ANALOGS. Journal of Green Building Winter 2012, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 143-172 (doi: 10.3992/jgb.7.1.143)
- Sutton, Richard K. 2011. A Model of Human Scale Tested on Rural Landscape Scenes. Great Plains Research. 21(Fall 2011):215-30.
- Rodie Steven, Kim Todd, Richard Sutton, Kelly Feehan, and Andy Szatko. 2010. Nebraska Bioretention and Rain Garden Plants Guide. UNL Cooperative Extension. Lincoln, NE
- Latshaw, Kelsey, Jay B. Fitzgerald, and Richard K. Sutton. 2009. Analysis of Green Roof Growing Media Porosity. Review of Undergraduate Research in Agriculture and Life Sciences. Vol. 4 Issue 1
Sutton, R. K. 2008. Media Modifications for Native Plant Assemblages on Green Roofs, Proceedings of Greening Rooftops for Sustainable Communities. April 30-May 2, 2008, Baltimore Maryland.
Sutton. R. K. 2008. Impact of Growing Media on Native Grasses. Living Architecture Monitor (10(1) pp22-23.
Sutton, R. K. 2007. Using Tree-ring Dating in hedgerow management at Homestead National Monument of America. ParkScience. 24 (2) 57-61.
Wendy Mee, J. Barnes, R. Kjelgren, R. Sutton, T. Cerny, and C. Johnson. 2003. Waterwise: Native Plants for Intermountain Landscapes. Utah State University Press 220 pp. 600 color photographs.
Walter Bagley and Richard K. Sutton. 2002. Woody Plants for the Central and Northern Prairies Blackburn Press 604 pp. Illus.
Sutton, Richard K. 1998. "Ethics and Aesthetics in the Loss of Farmland". Chapter 6 in Under the Blade: The Conversionof Agricultural Landscapes. R. Olson and T Lyson (eds) Westview Press 459 pp.
Sutton, R.K., T. Boyle, R. Westmacott and V. Morrical. 1997. Cultivating the market for rural landscape architecture. In proceedings of the 1997 ASLA Meeting. C. Wagner (Ed.).
Bartlett, M., D. Beach and R.K. Sutton. 1996. "Urban Growth: Inside Out, Outside In" Renewing the American City. Proceeding of the American Society of Landscape Architects Annual Meeting. October 9, Cleveland, Ohio.
Rodie, S.N. and R.K. Sutton. 1995. "Defining Implementation and Management Issues for Sustainable urbanized Landscapes", Symposium Proceedings of Agriculture and People . . . Building a Share Environment. S.S. Waller and D. Dunca (eds.), UNL ARDC, October 9-10.
Sutton, Richard K. 1993. Review of 'Where?' Landscape Journal Vol. 11, No. 2.
Sutton, Richard K. 1992. "Landscape Ecology of Hedgerows and Fencerows in Panama Township", Lancaster County, Nebraska. Grain Plains Research. Vol. 2, No. 2. pp. 223-254. Fall.
Sutton, Richard K. 1991. "Not for the Tourist's Eyes Only: Willa Cather's Divide Landscape Today". Selected Works CELA Proceedings. Lois Brink (ed) Landscape Architecture Foundation/CELA Washington D.C. 219 pp.
Sutton, Richard K. 1985. "Rural Planting Relicts in Eastern Nebraska." Landscape Journal Vol 4 No. 2 pp 106-115.
- Sutton, Richard K. 1977. "The Round Peg in the Square Hole: Center Pivot Irrigation in the Nebraska Landscape." Landscape Vol. 22 no. 1 pp. 3-10.
Awards and Professional Memberships
- Recognition for Contributions to Students 1996, 2001, 2010, 2014
- Gamma Tau Delta Honorary 2010
- Fellow American Society of Landscape Architects 2009
- Certified as Green Roof Professional 2009
- Certificate for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Research (UCARE) 2008
- Holling Family Award for Teaching College of Agriculture and Natural Resources 2008
- Honor Award for Research Great Plains Chapter, ASLA
- Tree Planter State Award, Nebraska Statewide Arboretum 2007
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Utah State University, LAEP Department 2003
- Registered Landscape Architect, Nebraska #131
- Member Sigma Lambda Alpha, Landscape Architecture Honorary
- Fellow Center for Great Plains Studies
- Editorial Board Journal of Living Architecture
- Member Green Roofs for Healthy Cities Research Committee