Associate Professor of Practice
Area of Expertise: Horticulture
B.S. Horticulture, Kansas State University, 1984
M.S. Horticulture, University of Nebraska, 1996
Areas of Focus
- Hydroponic plant production
- Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA)
- Greenhouse applications, development, modification
- Hops in Nebraska
Major Project Activities
- Extension outreach in Hops production and management to support an emerging hops industry in Nebraska.
- Youth education programs to expand the consumption, availability, and marketing of specialty crops to improve self, family, and community.
- Greenhouse selection, development and operation for schools and educational programs.
- Nebraska CDE Floriculture Superintendent
- Hops production planning, trellising, cultivation, & management for Nebraska.
- Specialty crop production using high tunnels, greenhouses, and other protected structures.
- Understanding and using hydroponic systems for intensive fresh food production.
- Adams, S.A. 2018. Hops on a Quarter Acre. University of Nebraska Extension. E.C. 3026.
- Lambe, D. and Adams, S.A.. 2016. Estimated Costs of Producing Hops in Nebraska. University of Nebraska Extension. EC3010. 5p.
- Adams, S.A. and K. Todd. 2015. High Tunnel Design, Site Development, and Construction. University of Nebraska Extension. EC308. 12pp.
- Adams, S.A. and K. Todd. 2014. Cold Frames, High Tunnels, and Greenhouses: Choose a Growing Structure Best for You. University of Nebraska Extension. G2246. 4pp.
- Adams, S.A. and E.T. Paparozzi. 2014. Constructing a Block and Fence Growing Bench for use with a Capillary Mat Irrigation System for Greenhouse Plant Production. University of Nebraska Extension. EC303. 12pp.
Grant Project Activities
- Adams, S. (Principal Investigator), Grant, "Growers Leaderboard- Youth Education Program", Nebraska Department of Agriculture SCBGP, State Agencies, Instruction/Training, $40,528.00, Awarded, No. (sub: April 10, 2019, start: September 30, 2019, end: September 29, 2022).
- Adams, S. (Principal Investigator), 123571, Grant, "Hop Cultivar Evaluation Phase 2", Ne Dept Agriculture, State Agencies, Research, $24,703.00, Awarded. (sub: March 22, 2018, start: September 30, 2018, end: September 29, 2021).