B.S., Biological Sciences & Philosophy, Fordham University, 2006
M.A., Applied Climate Science, Columbia University, 2010
Ph.D., Crop Production & Physiology and Sustainable Agriculture, Iowa State University, 2015
Area of Focus
- Resource use efficiency in cropping systems
- Soil health
- Agricultural systems modeling
- Water resources
- Human and policy dimensions of agricultural decision-making
Awards and Honors
- Best Research Paper for Impact and Quality, Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 2017
- Iowa State Graduate Symposium 1st Place 3-Minute Thesis Contest, 2015
- Iowa State Agronomy Dept. Outstanding Graduate Student, 2014
- Roesch-McNally, G. E., Nester, J., Basche, A., Christianson, E. and Zimmerman, E. 2018. Hunger in the Land of Plenty: Local Responses to Food Insecurity in Iowa. Food and Poverty: Food Insecurity and Food Sovereignty among America’s Poor. Edited Volume, Linda Hossfeld, E. Brooke Kelly, and Julia Waity.
- Roesch-McNally, G., Basche, A.D., and Schewe, R. 2018. Climate change challenges require collaborative research to drive agrifood system transformation. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 33(3): 195-196.
- DeLonge, M. and Basche, A.D. 2018. Managing grazing lands to improve soil health, climate change adaptation and mitigation efforts: a global synthesis. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 33(3): 267-278.
- Roesch-McNally, G.E., Basche, A.D., Arbuckle, J.G., Tyndall, J.C., Miguez, F.E, Bowman, T. and Clay, R.M. 2018. The trouble with cover crops: Farmers’ experiences with overcoming barriers to adoption. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 33(4): 322-333.
- Basche, A.D., DeLonge, M. 2017. The impact of continuous living cover on soil hydrologic properties: a meta-analysis. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 81(5): 1179-1190.
- Basche, A.D., and Edelson, O. 2017. Improving water resilience with more perennially-based agriculture. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems. 41(7): 799-824.
- Dankbar, H., Zimmerman, E., Chennault, C., Basche, A., Nester, J., Pierre, M., Roesch-McNally, G. 2017. Lettuce learn: Student reflections on building and sustaining a community donation garden. The Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis 6(3): 71-85.
- Basche, A.D., and Roesch-McNally, G.E. 2017. Research topics to scale up cover crop use: reflections from innovative Iowa farmers. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 72(3): 59A-63A.
- DeLonge, M.+, Basche, A.+ 2017. Leveraging agroecology for solutions in food, water and energy. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene. 5: 6. +Authors were considered co-first authors on this publication
- Basche, A.D., Genareo, V., Leshem, A, Kissell, A. Pauley, J. 2016. Engaging middle school students through locally-focused environmental science project-based learning. Natural Sciences Education. 45(1): 1-10.
- Basche, A.D., Kaspar, T.K., Archontoulis, S.A., Jaynes, D.B., Parkin, T.B., Sauer, T.S., Miguez, F.E. 2016. Soil water improvements with the long-term use of a cover crop. Agricultural Water Management. 172: 40-50.
- Basche, A.D., Archontoulis, S.A., Kaspar, T.K, Jaynes, D.B., Parkin, T.B. Miguez, F.E. 2016. Simulating long-term impacts of cover crops and climate change on crop production and environmental outcomes in the Midwestern United States. Agriculture, Ecosystems and the Environment. 218: 95-106.
- Basche, A.D., Miguez, F.E., Kaspar, T.K., and Castellano, M.J. 2014. Do Cover Crops Increase or Decrease Nitrous Oxide Emissions? A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 69(6): 471-482^
^Journal of Soil and Water Conservation Best Research Paper for Impact and Quality, 2017
- Basche, A.D. et al. 2014. Challenges and Opportunities in Transdisciplinary Science: Graduate Student Experiences in a Climate and Agriculture Research Collaboration. Invited Commentary. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 69(6): 176A-179A.