Website:·Resilient Cropping Systems Lab
Area of Expertise: Soil and Water Sciences
B.S., Biological Sciences & Philosophy, Fordham University, 2006
M.A., Applied Climate Science, Columbia University, 2010
Ph.D., Crop Production & Physiology and Sustainable Agriculture, Iowa State University, 2015
Area of Focus
- PLAS 204: Resource Efficient Crop Management
- PLAS 405: Crop Management Strategies
- PLAS 425 or AGRO 825: Cover Crops in Agroecosystems
- Resource use efficiency in cropping systems
- Soil health
- Agricultural systems modeling
- Water resources
- Human and policy dimensions of agricultural decision-making
Awards and Honors
- Best Research Paper for Impact and Quality, Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 2017
- Iowa State Graduate Symposium 1st Place 3-Minute Thesis Contest, 2015
- Iowa State Agronomy Dept. Outstanding Graduate Student, 2014
Google Scholar publication list
- Roesch-McNally, G.E., Basche, A.D., Arbuckle, J.G., Tyndall, J.C., Miguez, F.E, Bowman, T. and Clay, R.M. 2018. The trouble with cover crops: Farmers’ experiences with overcoming barriers to adoption. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 33(4): 322-333.
- Basche, A.D., DeLonge, M. 2017. The impact of continuous living cover on soil hydrologic properties: a meta-analysis. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 81(5): 1179-1190.
- Basche, A.D., Kaspar, T.K., Archontoulis, S.A., Jaynes, D.B., Parkin, T.B., Sauer, T.S., Miguez, F.E. 2016. Soil water improvements with the long-term use of a cover crop. Agricultural Water Management. 172: 40-50.
- Basche, A.D., Archontoulis, S.A., Kaspar, T.K, Jaynes, D.B., Parkin, T.B. Miguez, F.E. 2016. Simulating long-term impacts of cover crops and climate change on crop production and environmental outcomes in the Midwestern United States. Agriculture, Ecosystems and the Environment. 218: 95-106.
- Basche, A.D., Miguez, F.E., Kaspar, T.K., and Castellano, M.J. 2014. Do Cover Crops Increase or Decrease Nitrous Oxide Emissions? A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 69(6): 471-482.
– Journal of Soil and Water Conservation Best Research Paper for Impact and Quality, 2017