B.S., Biological Sciences & Philosophy, Fordham University, 2006
M.A., Applied Climate Science, Columbia University, 2010
Ph.D., Crop Production & Physiology and Sustainable Agriculture, Iowa State University, 2015
Area of Focus
- Resource use efficiency in cropping systems
- Soil health
- Agricultural systems modeling
- Water resources
- Human and policy dimensions of agricultural decision-making
Awards and Honors
- Best Research Paper for Impact and Quality, Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 2017
- Iowa State Graduate Symposium 1st Place 3-Minute Thesis Contest, 2015
- Iowa State Agronomy Dept. Outstanding Graduate Student, 2014
- DeLonge, M. and Basche, A.D. Managing grazing lands to improve soil health, climate change adaptation and mitigation efforts: a global synthesis. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1742170517000588
- Basche, A.D., DeLonge, M. 2017. The impact of continuous living cover on soil hydrologic properties: a meta-analysis. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 81(5): 1179-1190.
- Basche, A.D., and Edelson, O. 2017. Improving water resilience with more perennially-based agriculture. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems. 41(7): 799-824.
- Basche, A.D., and Roesch-McNally, G.E. 2017. Research topics to scale up cover crop use: reflections from innovative Iowa farmers. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 72(3): 59A-63A.
- Roesch-McNally, G.E., Basche, A.D., Arbuckle, J.G., Tyndall, J.C., Miguez, F.E, Bowman, T. and Clay, R.M. 2017. The trouble with cover crops: Farmers’ experiences with overcoming barriers to adoption. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1742170517000096
- DeLonge, M., Basche, A. 2017. Leveraging agroecology for solutions in food, water and energy. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene. 5: 6.
- Basche, A.D., Genareo, V., Leshem, A, Kissell, A. Pauley, J. 2016. Engaging middle school students through locally-focused environmental science project-based learning. Natural Sciences Education. 45(1): 1-10.
- Basche, A.D., Kaspar, T.K., Archontoulis, S.A., Jaynes, D.B., Parkin, T.B., Sauer, T.S., Miguez, F.E. 2016. Soil water improvements with the long-term use of a cover crop. Agricultural Water Management. 172: 40-50.
- Basche, A.D., Archontoulis, S.A., Kaspar, T.K, Jaynes, D.B., Parkin, T.B. Miguez, F.E. 2016. Simulating long-term impacts of cover crops and climate change on crop production and environmental outcomes in the Midwestern United States. Agriculture, Ecosystems and the Environment. 218: 95-106.
- Basche, A.D., Miguez, F.E., Kaspar, T.K., and Castellano, M.J. 2014. Do cover crops increase or decrease nitrous oxide emissions? A meta-analysis. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 69(6): 471-482
- Basche, A.D. et al. 2014. Challenges and Opportunities in Transdisciplinary Science: Graduate Student Experiences in a Climate and Agriculture Research Collaboration. Invited Commentary. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 69(6): 176A-179A.