Area of Expertise:
B.Eng. in Chemical Engineering, University of Pretoria
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Ph.D. Biochemistry, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Areas of Focus
- STEM education
- Scientific writing and communication
- Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering
Research and Teaching Interests
- Teaching and learning of synthesis writing and modeling
- Evidence-based teaching and learning
- Curriculum and assessment
- Interdisciplinary learning
- Professional development
- Booth CS, Song, C, Howell ME, Rasquinha, A, Saska, A, Helikar R, Sikich, SM, Couch BA, van Dijk K, Roston R, and Helikar T. 2021. Teaching Metabolism in Upper-division Undergraduate Biochemistry Courses using Online Computational Systems and Dynamical Models Improves Student Performance. CBE – Life Sciences Education. In press.
- Howell, ME, Booth CS, Sikich, SM, Helikar T, van Dijk K, Roston R, and Couch BA. Interactive learning modules with 3D printed models improve student understanding of protein structure-function relationships. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 48(4): 356-368.
- Howell ME, Booth CS, Sikich SM, Helikar T, Couch BA, Roston RL, and van Dijk K. 2019. Student Understanding of DNA Structure–Function Relationships Improves from Using 3D Learning Modules with Dynamic 3D Printed Models. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 47(3): 303-317.
- McAtee CO*, Booth CS*, Elowsky C, Zhao L, Payne J, Fangman T, Caplan S, Henry M, and Simpson MA. 2019. Prostate tumor cell exosomes containing hyaluronidase Hyal1 stimulate prostate stromal cell motility by engagement of FAK-mediated integrin signaling. Matrix Biology, 78-79:165-179. *co-first author.
- Booth CS, Pienaar E, TerMaat JR, Whitney SE, Louw TM and Viljoen HJ. 2010. Efficiency of the polymerase chain reaction. Chemical Engineering Science, 65(17):4996-5006.