USDA-ARS Research Microbiologist
Area of Expertise:
B.S. Biology, Education, Illinois State University
M.S. Botany/Mycology, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
Ph.D. Food Safety Microbiology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Area of Focus
Microbiology of soils and soil amendments
I am interested in solving applied problems related to how agriculture impacts environmental and human health. My research focuses on using animal manure as a fertilizer while minimizing adverse environmental and human health impacts.
Major Project ActivitiesMy current projects address issues associated with pathogens and antibiotic resistance from agricultural settings. I characterize how bacteria and genes from animal manures travel through agricultural production systems, soil, and water. My main projects involve studying the fate and transport of pathogens, fecal indicator organisms, antibiotic resistant bacteria and antibiotic resistance genes, in runoff from feedlots and runoff from manure-amended fields. I use the tools of microbial ecology to profile microbial communities, and determine how “problem” microbes or “problem” genes interact with all of the naturally occurring microflora in agriculturally impacted environments.
See More at USDA Bio
- Durso, L.M., Wedin, D.A., Gilley, J.E., Miller, D.N., and Marx, D.B. Assessment of selected antibiotic resistances in ungrazed native Nebraska prairie soils. Journal of Environmental Quality. 2016.
- Cadena, M., Durso, L.M., Miller, D.N., Waldrip, H.M., Castleberry, B.L., Drijber, R.A., and Wortmann, C. Tetracycline and sulfonamide antibiotic resistance genes in soils from Nebraska organic farming operations. Frontiers. 9:1283. 2018.
- Durso, L.M. and Cook, K.L. One Health and antibiotic resistance in agroecosystems. EcoHealth. 2018.
- Durso, L.M., Gilley, J.E., Marx D.B., and Woodbury, B.L. Wheat strip effects on microbial transport following variable applications of beef cattle manure. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 62(2):263-270. 2019.
- Berry, E.D., Wells, J.E., Durso, L.M., Friesen, K.M., Bono, J.L., and Suslow, T.V. Occurrence of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in pest flies captured in leafy greens plots grown near a beef cattle feedlot. Journal of Food Protection. 82(8):1300-1307. 2019.