Roger W. Elmore
Professor, Heuermann Chair and Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute Faculty Fellow
Area of Expertise: Plant Physiology, Weed, and Production Systems
A.A., General studies, Illinois Valley Community College, 1970
B.S., Agriculture/Biology, Illinois State University, 1972
M.S., Agronomy, University of Illinois, 1978
Ph.D., Agronomy (International), University of Illinois, 1981
Area of Focus
Extension Cropping Systems Agronomist
Research & Extension Roles
Elmore's vision for his applied crop production research and extension work at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln is to maintain or increase crop production profitability and water use efficiency by seeking and demonstrating environmentally sound production practices. His mission is to research, develop, teach and extend timely and pertinent crop management information for farmers, agribusiness, Extension personnel and graduate and undergraduate students. To that end, his research program focuses on production practices that increase profit through optimizing or maximizing yield and water use. Earlier research projects include: effects of previous hybrid in corn following corn systems; dry matter and nutrient accumulation of modern and historical corn hybrids, effects of corn planting dates, row spacing, plant population responses, as well as the impact of plant to plant variability. A major accomplishment while serving at Iowa State Univ. was the publication of Abendroth et al. 2011, Corn Growth and Development, Iowa State Univ. Extension PMR 1009. At Nebraska, he co-leads with Humberto Blanco and several other colleagues a new cover crop research project supported by the Nebraska Soybean Board and the Nebraska Corn Board.
Research and Professional Experience
- January 13, 2014 - present: Professor & Extension Cropping Systems Agronomist, Dept. of Agronomy & Horticulture, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- July 1, 2005 - January 10, 2014: Professor & Extension Corn Agronomist, Department of Agronomy, Iowa State University
- March 2013 – March 2013: Guest lecturer: Chinese Agricultural University, Beijing China; Jilin Acad. of Agr. Sciences, Changchun, Jilin; NW Ag. & Forestry University Yangling, Shanxi, China.
- March 2011: Consultant, A project for strengthening Extension skills of young professionals in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Iowa State University Extension.
- August 2010: Technical consultant, Family & Friends Community Connection and World Concern. Agronomy Projects, Gressier and Les Cayes, Haiti.
- March 2008: CSREES Review team member, Kansas State University February 2007 Volunteer consultant, World Concern, Agronomy Project, South Haiti
- July 1994 - June 2005: Professor, University of Nebraska
- February 2002: Technical consultant, World Vision, Food Security - Irrigated crop production, Ghana
- November 1995: Technical consultant, UNDP Maize Project, Shandong & Jilin, China
- July 1987 - June 1994: Associate Professor, University of Nebraska
- August 1990 - June 1991: Faculty Development Leave - Argentina
- July 1981 - June 1987: Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska
- September 1972 - September 1974: Peace Corps Volunteer; Department of Agriculture, Seremban, Negri Sembilan, Malaysia
- Heatherly, L. G. and R.W. Elmore. 2004. Managing inputs for peak production. Chapter 10 In H. R. Boerma and J E. Specht (eds.). Soybeans: Improvement, Production, and Uses, Third Edition, No. 16. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA, Madison WI.
- Elmore, R.W., Hoffmeister, G., Jr., Klein, R., Marx, D. B. 2003. Corn greensnap from extreme wind is influenced by several factors. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2003-1212-01-RS. (J. Series 12999).
- Elmore, R.W., F.W. Roeth, L.A. Nelson, C.A. Shapiro, R.N. Klein, S.Z. Knezevic, and A. Martin. 2001. Glyphosate resistant soybean cultivar yields compared to sister lines. Agron. Journal. 93:408-412.
- Elmore, Roger W., Fred W. Roeth, Robert N. Klein, Stevan Z. Knezevic, Alex Martin, Lenis A. Nelson, and Charles A. Shapiro. 2001. Glyphosate-resistant soybean cultivar response to glyphosate. Agron. Journal. 93:404-407.
- Byamukama, E., L.J. Abendroth, R.W. Elmore, and A.E. Robertson. 2013. Quantifying the effect of Pyraclostrobin on grain-fill period and kernel dry matter accumulation in maize. Online. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094/PHP-2013-1024-02-RS.
- Takle, Eugene S., Christopher J. Anderson, Jeffrey Andresen, James Angel, Roger W. Elmore, Benjamin M. Gramig, Patrick Guinan, Steven Hilberg, Doug Kluck, Raymond Massey, Dev Niyogi, Jeanne M. Schneider, Martha D. Shulski, Dennis Todey, Melissa Widhalm. 2013: Climate Forecasts for Corn Producer Decision-Making. Earth Interact. doi:10.1175/2013EI000541.1, in press.
- Al-Kaisi, M.M., R.W. Elmore, J.G. Guzman, H.M. Hanna, C. E. Hart, M.J. Helmers, E. W. Hodgson, A.W. Lenssen, A.P. Mallarino, A.E. Robertson, J.E. Sawyer. 2013. Drought Impact on Crop Production and the Soil Environment: 2012 Experiences from Iowa. J. of Soil and Water Conservation. 68(1):19A-24A; doi:10.2489/jswc.68.1.19A
- Elmore, R.W. 2013. Advances, Vulnerabilities, and Opportunities for Corn: A Perspective from Iowa. In: D. Niyogi (Ed.) Climate Vulnerability: Understanding and Addressing Threats to Essential Resources. Elsevier Inc., Academic Press, 3-15.
- Abendroth, L.J., R.W. Elmore, M.J. Boyer, and S. K. Marlay. 2011. Corn growth and development. PMR 1009. Iowa State Univ. Extension. Ames Iowa.
- Coulter, J.A., E.D. Nafziger, P.R. Thomison, L.J. Abendroth, R.W. Elmore and M.E. Zarnstorff. 2011. Agronomic Responses of Corn to Stand Loss at Vegetative Growth Stages. Agron. J. 103:577-583.
- Mengistu, N., P.S. Baenziger, L.A. Nelson, K.M. Eskridge, R.N. Klein, D.D. Baltensperger, and R.W. Elmore. 2010. Grain Yield Performance and Stability of Cultivar Blends vs. Component Cultivars of Hard Winter Wheat in Nebraska. Crop Sci. 50:617-623.
- De Bruin, J.L., P. Pedersen, S.P. Conley, J.M. Gaska, S.L. Naeve, J.E. Kurle, R.W. Elmore, L.J. Giesler, and L.J. Abendroth. 2010. Probability of Yield Response to Inoculants in Fields with a History of Soybean. Crop Sci. 50:265-272.
- Elmore, Roger W. 2010. Observations on corn yield trends and potential: Haiti and the U.S.
- Conley, Shawn P., Lori Abendroth, Roger Elmore, Ellsworth P. Christmas, and Mark Zarnstorff. 2008. Soybean Seed Yield and Composition Response to Stand Reduction at Vegetative and Reproductive Stages. Agron. J. 100:1666-1669
- Lyon, D.J., Pavlista, A.D., Hergert, G.W., Klein, R.N., Shapiro C.A., Knezevic, S., Mason, S.C., Nelson, L.A., Baltensperger, D.D., Elmore, R.W., Vigil, M.F., Schlegel, A.J., Olson, B.L., and Aiken, R.M. 2009. Skip-row planting patterns stabilize corn grain yields in the central Great Plains. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2009-0224- 02-RS.
- Mueller, D. (ed.), R. Pope (ed.), L. Abendroth, R. Elmore, B. Hartzler, C. McGrath, G. Munkvold, M.E. Rice, A. Robertson, J. Sawyer, K. Schaefer, J. Tollefson, and G. Tylka. 2009. Corn Field Guide. CSI 0001. Iowa State University.
- Bastidas, A.M. T.D. Setiyono, A. Dobermann, K.G. Cassman, R.W. Elmore, G.L. Graef and J.E. Specht. 2008. Soybean Sowing Date: The Vegetative, Reproductive, and Agronomic Impacts. Crop Sci. 48(2): 727-740.
- Francis, C.A., R.W. Elmore, J. Ikerd, M. Duffy, Greening of Agriculture: Is It All a Greenwash of the Globalized Economy? 2006. Journal of Crop Improvement 19(1&2):193-220.
- Elmore, R.W., David B. Marx, Ralph G. Klein, and Lori J. Abendroth. 2005. Wind Effect on corn leaf azimuth. Crop Science 45:2598-2604.
- Elmore, R.W. and Fred W. Roeth. 1999. Corn kernel weight and grain yield stability during post-maturity drydown. J. of Prod. Agric.12:300-305.
- Elmore, R.W. 1996. Our relationship with the ecosystem and its impact on sustainable agriculture. J. of Production Agriculture 9:42-45.