George L. Graef
Area of Expertise: Plant Breeding and Genetics
B.S., Environmental Horticulture, University of Connecticut, 1982
M.S., Plant Breeding and Cytogenetics, Iowa State University, 1984
Ph.D. Plant Breeding and Cytogenetics, Minor, Genetics, Iowa State University, 1988
Area of Focus
Soybean Breeding and Genetics
Soybean breeding and genetics; Genetic diversity in breeding populations; mating and selection systems; Soybeans for human food uses; protein and oil content and quality; Identification and characterization of QTLs using DNA markers.
- Agro 299 - Research Problems and Career Experience;
- Agronomy 421 Introduction to Plant Breeding;
- Agronomy 496 Internship in Plant Breeding and Genetics.
- Soybean cultivar development;
- Nebraska Crop Improvement Association;
- Soybean producers.
- Develop soybean germplasm and cultivars with increased seed protein content
- Develop soybean germplasm and cultivars with increased oil content
- Coordinate nationwide cooperative evaluation of soybean lines with improved quality traits from state and USDA soybean breeding programs
- Develop soybean cultivars for specific food and end uses
- Identification of resistance genes for Sclerotinia Stem Rot in soybeans
- Use of genetic male sterility in soybean cultivar development and recurrent selection programs
- Chung, J., H.L. Babka, G.L. Graef, P.E. Staswick, D.J. Lee, P.B. Cregan, R.C. Shoemaker, and J.E. Specht. 2003. The Seed Protein, Oil, and Yield QTL on Soybean Linkage Group I. Crop Sci. 43: 1053-1067.
- Graef, G.L., J.E. Specht, D. M. White, and L.L. Korte. 2002. Registration of -NE1900' Soybean. Crop Sci. 42: 306.
- Graef, G.L., J.E. Specht, D. M. White, and L.L. Korte. 2002. Registration of -NE3400' Soybean. Crop Sci. 42: 306-307.
- Demirbas, A., B.G. Rector, D.G. Lohnes, G.L. Graef, P.B. Cregan, R.C. Shoemaker, and J.E. Specht. 2001. Simple Sequence Repeat Markers Linked to the Soybean Rps Genes for Phytophthora Resistance. Crop Sci. 41: 1220-1227.
- Arahana, V.A., G.L. Graef, J.E. Specht, J.R. Steadman, and K.M. Eskridge. 2001. Identification of QTLs for resistance to Sclerotinia sclerotiorum in soybean. Crop Sci. 41: 180-188.
- Kim, H.S., G.L. Hartman, J.B. Manandhar, G.L. Graef, J.R. Steadman, and B.W. Diers. 2000. Reaction of soybean cultivars to sclerotinia stem rot in field, greenhouse, and laboratory evaluations. Crop Sci. 40: 665-669.
- Graef , G.L., and J.E. Specht. 1999. Registration of the SG1P soybean population with high seed protein and ms2 nuclear male sterility. Crop Sci. 39: 1261
- Graef , G.L., and J.E. Specht. 1999. Registration of the SG1LS soybean population with large seed size and ms2 nuclear male sterility. Crop Sci. 39: 1261-1262
- Yan, Lin, John A. Yee, Donghua Li, Michael H. McGuire, and George L. Graef. 1999. Dietary supplementation of selenomethionine reduces metastasis of melanoma cells in mice. Anticancer Research 19:1337-1342.
- Chung, J., J.-H. Lee, K. Arumuganathan, G.L. Graef, and J.E. Specht. 1998. Relationships between nuclear DNA content and seed and leaf size in soybean. Theor. Appl. Genet. 96: 1064-1068.
- Specht, J.E., and G.L. Graef. 1996. Limitations and potentials for genetic manipulation of soybeans. In D.P.S. Verma and R.C. Shoemaker, (eds.) Soybean: Genetics, Molecular Biology, and Biotechnology. CAB Intl., England.
- Brummer, E.C., G.L. Graef, J. Orf, J.R. Wilcox, and R.C. Shoemaker. 1997. Mapping QTL for seed protein and oil content in eight soybean populations. Crop Sci 37: 370-378.
- Yan, L., J.A. Yee, M.H. McGuire, and G.L. Graef. 1997. Effect of dietary supplementation of selenite on pulmonary metastasis of melanoma cells in mice. Nutrition and Cancer 28(2): 165-169.
- Yan, L., J.A. Yee, M.H. McGuire, and G.L. Graef. 1997. Effect of dietary supplementation of soybeans on pulmonary metastasis of melanoma cells in mice. Nutrition and Cancer 29(1): 1-6.