Website:·UNL Mob Grazing Research
B.S., Natural Resources, Environmental Studies Major, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1996
Ph.D., Crop Production and Physiology, Iowa State University, 2002
Area of Focus
Grassland Systems Ecology
- Nitrogen cycling and use efficiency in range and pasturelands
- Biodiversity in grasslands
- Integration of forages in crop-livestock systems
- Developmental morphology of range and pasture plants
- Pasture establishment, improvement, and management
- Forage and grazing experiments, vegetation techniques, and analysis
- 2016 – Chair-Elect, C6 Forage and Grazinglands Division, Crop Science Society of America
- 2015-2016 – Science Communications Editor, Agronomy Journal, American Society of Agronomy
- 2013-2018 – Associate Editor, Agronomy Journal, American Society of Agronomy
- 2012-2014 – Technical Editor, Forage and Grazinglands, Crop Science Society of America
- 2007-2010 – Associate Editor, Forage and Grazinglands, Crop Science Society of America
- 2008 – Chairman, G.O. Mott Scholarship, Crop Science Society of America
- 2007 – Communications Task Force, American Society of Agronomy
- 2006-2007 – Committee, G.O. Mott Scholarship, Crop Science Society of America
- 2004-2005 – Committee, Young Crop Scientist Award, Crop Science Society of America
- Wingeyer, A.B., J.A. Guretzky, W.H. Schacht, and T.J. Klopfenstein. 2015. Reduced nitrogen mineralization and litter decomposition in unfertilized smooth bromegrass pastures. Crop Sci. 55:1843-1853.
- Guretzky, J.A., A.B. Wingeyer, W.H. Schacht, T.J. Klopfenstein, and A. Watson. 2014. Soil organic matter and root and rhizome responses to management strategies in smooth bromegrass pastures. Agron. J. 106:1886-1892.
- Guretzky, J.A., A. Kohmetscher, and D. Namuth-Covert. 2014. Perennial grass growth and development. Web lesson. Natural Sciences Education. 43:94.
- Snell, L.K., J.A. Guretzky, V.L. Jin, R.A. Drijber, and M. Mamo. 2014. Nitrous oxide emissions and herbage accumulation in smooth bromegrass pastures with nitrogen fertilizer and ruminant urine application. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 98:223-234.
- Guretzky, J.A., W.H. Schacht, A.B. Wingeyer, T.J. Klopfenstein, and A. Watson. 2014. Litter deposition and nitrogen return in rotationally stocked smooth bromegrass pastures. Agron. J. 106:175-184.
- Guretzky, J., A. Kohmetscher, and D. Namuth-Covert. 2013. Grass seed structure and seedling emergence. Web lesson. Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education 42 doi:10.4195/nse.2012.0018w.
- Guretzky, J.A., W.H. Schacht, L. Snell, J. Soper, S. Moore, A. Watson, and T.J. Klopfenstein. 2013. Nitrogen input effects on herbage accumulation and presence of pasture plant species. Agronomy Journal 105:915-921. doi:10.2134/agronj2012.0458.
- Guretzky, J.A., T.J. Butler, and J. Muir. 2012. Adaptation of annual forage legumes in the southern Great Plains. Great Plains Research. 22:35-43.
- Guretzky, J.A., J.T. Biermacher, B.J. Cook, M.K. Kering, and J. Mosali. 2011. Switchgrass for forage and bioenergy: harvest and nitrogen rate effects on biomass yields and nutrient composition. Plant Soil. 339:69-81.
- Guretzky, J.A., M. Kering, J.T. Biermacher, E. Funderburg, and J. Mosali. 2010. Fertilizer rate effects on forage yield stability and nutrient uptake of Midland bermudagrass. Journal of Plant Nutrition. 33:1819-1834.
- Guretzky, J.A., K.J. Moore, C.L. Burras, and E.C. Brummer. 2007. Plant species richness in relation to pasture position, management, and scale. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment. 122:387-391.
- Guretzky, J.A., K.J. Moore, E.C. Brummer, and C.L. Burras. 2005. Species diversity and functional composition of pastures that vary in landscape position and grazing management. Crop Science. 45:282-289.
- Guretzky, J.A., K.J. Moore, C.L. Burras, and E.C. Brummer. 2004. Distribution of legumes along gradients of slope and soil electrical conductivity (ECa) in pastures. Agronomy Journal. 96:547-555.
- Guretzky, J.A., K.J. Moore, A.D. Knapp, and E.C. Brummer. 2004. Emergence and survival of legumes seeded into pastures varying in landscape position. Crop Science. 44:227-233.