Gary W. Hergert
B.S., Agronomy, Colorado State University, 1967
M.S., Agronomy, Colorado State University, 1970
Ph.D., Agronomy, Cornell University, 1975
Area of Focus
Soil and Nutrient Management
- Improving N management to increase profitability while reducing N leaching by developing improved N recommendations
- Nebraska Soil Fertility Project
- Long term effects of beef manure on soils and continuous corn yields (Knorr-Holden plots)
- Developing chlorosis correction for crops using site specific management on high pH soils
Major Project Activities
Research and extension efforts to improve crop yields through improved nutrient management on high pH western Nebraska soils including manure management. Major emphasis will be working with the Panhandle Research and Extension Center team on adapting cropping systems to limited surface and subsurface irrigation supplies for the future.
- Current efforts focus on soil and fertilizer management to improve crop production efficiency for major and minor crops in western Nebraska
- Interests in soil salinity management and irrigation water quality
- Leading a major demonstration project on limited irrigation no-till conservation cropping systems in the Pumpkin Creek Watershed
- Comprehensive Nutrient Management Planning and manure management
Member and Fellow of the American Society of Agronomy and Soil Science Society of America.
- Wortmann, C.S., A.R. Dobermann, R.B. Ferguson, G.W. Hergert, C.A. Shapiro, D.D. Tarkalson, D. Walters. 2009. High-yielding corn response to applied phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur in Nebraska. Agron J. 101: 546-555.
- Cattanach, A. and G.W. Hergert. 2009. Nutritional Disorders. In R.M. Harveson, L.E.,Hanson, and G.L Hein, (ed.) Compendium of Beet Diseases and Pests. Am. Phytopath. Soc. pp73-80.
- Sharpley, Andrew N., John P. Schmidt, and Gary W. Hergert. 2007. Nutrient Management Practices. pp149-194. In M. Schnepf and C. Cox (ed.) Environmental Effects of Conservation on Cropland-The Status of Our Knowledge. Soil and Water Cons. Society. Ankeny, IA.
- Ferguson, R.B., G.W. Hergert, J.S. Schepers, C.A. Gotway, J.E. Cahoon, and T.A. Peterson. 2002. Site-specific nitrogen management of irrigated maize: Yield and soil residual nitrate effects. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 66:544-553.
- Hergert, Gary W. 1998. A futuristic view of soil and plant analysis and nutrient recommendations. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 29 : 1441-1454.
- Hergert, G.W., W.L. Pan, D.R. Huggins, J.H. Grove and T.R. Peck. 1997. Adequacy of current fertilizer recommendations for site specific management. p.283-300. In F.J. Pierce and E.J. Sadler (ed.) The State of Site-Specific Management for Agriculture. ASA, Madison, WI.
- Gotway Crawford, C.A. and G.W. Hergert. 1997. Incorporating spatial trends and anisotropy in geostatistical mapping of soil properties. Soil Sci. Soc. Am J. 61:298-309.
- Hergert G.W., P.T. Nordquist, J.L. Peterson and B.A. Skates. 1996. Fertilizer and crop management practices for improving maize yields on high pH soils. J. Plant Nutr. 19:1223-1234.
- Hergert, G.W., N.L. Klocke, J.L. Petersen, P.T. Nordquist, R.T. Clark, and G.A. Wicks. 1993. Cropping systems for stretching limited irrigation supplies. J. Prod. Ag. 6: 520-529.
- Hergert, G.W. 1986. Nitrate leaching through sandy soil as affected by sprinkler irrigation management. J. Envir. Qual. 15:272-278.
- Hergert, G.W., G.W. Rehm, and R.A. Wiese. 1984. Field evaluations of zinc sources band applied in ammonium polyphosphate suspension. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 48:1190-1193.