Area of Expertise: Soil and Water Sciences
B.S., SOIL SCIENCE, UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, FAISALABAD, PAKISTAN, 2004
M.S., SOIL SCIENCE, UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, FAISALABAD, PAKISTAN, 2006
PH.D., SOIL SCIENCE, HUAZHONG AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY, WUHAN, CHINA, 2009
Area of Focus
Nutrient Management & Water Quality
Other Focus Areas
- Soil Fertility
- Site Specific Nutrient Management
- Water Quality
- Nutrient Use Efficiency
- Nutrient losses
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Fertilizers and Manure Use
Major Project Activities
- Conducting research and extension efforts on fertilizer practices and products which influence crop nutrient utilization.
- Research and extension efforts towards efficient utilization of nutrients derived from livestock manure, to optimize profitable use of manure in crop production while protecting environmental quality.
- Collaborating with agencies/organizations to conduct effective extensive programming to encourage adoption of management practices which increase nutrient use efficiency as well as profitable use of fertilizers.
- Address soil nutrient management issues and their impact on water quality
- Evaluate and optimize the profitable use of fertilizer products and manure for sustainable agriculture with limited environmental impact.
- Develop cost-effective, efficient, and site-specific nutrient management practices to increase the farm profits while reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and nutrient loss to groundwater
- Disseminate useful and practical research-based information to producers and consultants for improving crop nutrient utilization, crop yield, and water quality
- Promote technology-based nutrient and water management tools to optimize returns on inputs while preserving resources.
- Increase farmer’s profit by helping them optimizing fertilizer inputs and increasing economic returns on their farm
- American Society of Agronomy, 2013-present
- Crop Science Society of America, 2013-present
- Soil Science Society of America, 2013-present
- Iqbal J, Necpalova M, Archontoulis SV, Anex RP, Bourguignon M, Herzmann D, Mitchell DC, Sawyer JE, Zhu Q, Castellano MJ. 2018. Extreme weather-year sequences have non-additive effects on environmental nitrogen losses. Global Change Biology 24, 303-317.
- Ordonez RA, Castellano MJ, Hatfield JL, Helmers MJ, Licht M, Liebman M, Dietzel RN, Martinez-Feria R, Iqbal J, Puntel LA, Cordova C, Togliatti K, Wright E, Archontoulis SC. 2018. Corn and Soybean root front velocity and maximum depth in the Midwest USA. Field Crop Research, 215: 122-131.
- Iqbal J, Mitchell DC, Barker DW, Miguez F, Sawyer JE, Pantoja J, Castellano MJ. 2015. Does nitrogen fertilizer rate to corn affect N2O emissions from the rotated soybean crop? Journal of Environmental Quality, 44:711-719.
- Iqbal J, Parkin TB, Helmers MJ, Zhou X, Castellano MJ. 2015. Denitrification and N2O emissions in annual croplands, perennial grass buffers and restored perennial grasslands. Soil Science Society of America Journal 79; 239-250.
- Iqbal J*, Castellano MJ, Parkin TB. 2013. Evaluation of photoacoustic infrared spectroscopy for simultaneous measurement of N2O and CO2 gas concentrations and fluxes at the soil surface. Global Change Biology 19, 327-336.