Adjunct Professor and Lecturer
Area of Expertise: Plant Breeding and Genetics
B.S., Ag Honors (Range Management & Rumen Nutrition), University of Nebraska, 1971
M.S., Crop Science (Plant Breeding and Statistics), Oregon State University, 1973
Ph.D., Agronomy (Quantitative Genetics and Applied Mathematics), University of Nebraska, 1986
Areas of Focus
- Plant Breeding, Design and Analysis of Field Crop Experiments
- Plant Breeding of Hybrid Crops
- Teaching Applied Plant Breeding
- Development and release of genetically improved cultivars and hybrids
- Sources and use of elite maize germplasm used in maize breeding
- Development and implementation of statistical and data analysis tools for applied plant breeders
- Consulting with growers and end-users on evaluation and selection of adapted plant cultivars
- AGRO 815D, Breeding Cross Pollinated Crops
- AGRO 896, Field Research: Design, Analysis, and Reporting
- Leier, J., S. Daba, A Friskop, B. Johnson, J Rasmussen, S. Simsek, and A. Green. 2020. Fusarium head blight resistance in F1 hybrid spring wheat. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology
- Johnson, BE, TJ Lee, NC Mengistu, and BM Wardyn. 2019. Maize hybrid X08M556. US Patent 10,433,516.
- Johnson, BE, and BM Wardyn. 2019 Maize inbred PH41DJ. US Patent 10,212,905.
- Johnson, BE, and AN McAndrew, and LAV Chifflet. 2017. Maize hybrid X05H233. US Patent 9,807,956.
- Johnson, BE, and AN McAndrew. 2017. Maize inbred PH25BF. US Patent 9,565,825. Anqi
- Xing, Yufeng Gao, Lingfeng Ye, Weiping Zhang, Lichun Cai, Ada Ching, Victor Llaca, Blaine Johnson, Lin Liu, Xiaohong Yang, Dingming Kang, Jianbing Yan, Jiansheng Li. 2015. A rare SNP mutation in Brachytic2 moderately reduces plant height and increases yield potential in maize. Journal of experimental botany 66 (13), 3791-3802.