Ellen T. Paparozzi
Website:·Controlled Environment Agriculture
Ellen T. Paparozzi
B.S., Plant Science, Cook College, Rutgers University, 1976
M.S., Floriculture & Ornamental Horticulture, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1978
Ph.D., Floriculture & Ornamental Horticulture, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1980
Area of Focus
- Whole plant physiology – emphasis on plant nutrition and plant anatomy
The purpose of our lab is to offer training to graduate students (and upper division undergraduate students) in research methods that involve the growing of horticultural and agronomic plants, and the execution complex plant nutrition experiments. We also train undergraduate and graduate students in sectioning and embedding plant material for light and fluorescence microscopy.
Major Project Activities
Controlled Environment Agriculture – whether it's sustainable growing of fruit or medicinal plants in a greenhouse during the winter or identifying nutrient deficiencies using hydroponics, our lab does it! We currently are reviewing all our leaf re-greening after nutrient deficiency efforts to determine our next steps.
On-going projects include winter production of basil for herbage and essential oil as well as identifying nutrient deficiencies across basil varieties. We are also investigating the anatomical origin of oil trichomes on 18 cultivars of basil (pesto and specialty) to determine if size, presence and frequency are related to essential oil production.
Future plans will involve post-harvest physiology of strawberries with a focus on new uses for American's favorite fruit.
- Production and Physiology of Horticultural Plants (HORT/352)
- Perennial, Pot and Bedding Plant Production Laboratory (HORT/355)
- Nursery Management and Crop Production (HORT/462)
- Woody Plant Growth & Development HORT/NRES/BIOS 849 (graduate level) (HORT/849)
- Plant Nutrition and Nutrient Management HORT/AGRO 824 (graduate level) - a distance course taught in conjunction with Dr. Humberto Blanco
- Plant Biology Portfolio and Assessment (AGRO/HORT/NRES) 92 (AGRO/92)
- Paparozzi, E. T., Chahal, J. K., Dobrev, P., Claassen, E. A., Stroup, W. W., and R. Vankova. 2016. Cytokinin dynamics during the response to nitrogen in two contrasting Plectranthus genotypes. J. Amer. Soc. Hort Sci. 141(3):264-274.
- Stroup, W. W. and E. T. Paparozzi. 2016. A glimpse of GLMMIX (with a peak at R) for use in horticultural research. Acta Horticulturae 1126 (32):249-268.
- Kramer, M., Paparozzi, E. T. and W. W. Stroup. 2016. Statistics in a horticultural journal: problems and solutions. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci.141 (5):400-406.
- Wortmann, C., Mundorf, T., Shapiro, C., Paparozzi, E. T. 2015. Time of day effect on foliar nutrient concentrations in corn and soybean. J. Plant Nutrition 36:2166-2178.
- Paparozzi, E. T. and R. Pekarek. 2014. Winter production of strawberries: an idea whose time has come. In Moving the Needle. Accomplishments of the National Sustainable Strawberry Initiative. p. 23-24.
- Meyer, G. E., Paparozzi, E. T., Adams, S., Voltan, D. S. 2014. Evaluation of a Soilless Media Sensor for Managing Winter-time Greenhouse Strawberry Production on CapMat Systems. ASABE Paper Number 1913441. The American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, St Joseph MI. pp. 15 pages
- Adams, S. A. and E. T. Paparozzi. 2014. Constructing a block and fence growing bench for use with a capillary mat irrigation system for greenhouse plant production. UNL Extension Publication EC 303 12 pp.
- Paparozzi, E. T. 2013. The challenge of growing strawberries in the greenhouse. HortTechnology 23(6): 800-802.
- Paparozzi, E. T., Mattson, N., Grossman, M., Burnett, S., Lopez, R. 2013. Creative thinking, creative funding: Research, extension and teaching Programs and consortiums - The 2013 National Floriculture Forum. HortTechnology 23(6):794-795.
- Thomas, D. and E. T. Paparozzi. 2013. Problems with detecting nutrient availability in experimental hydroponic solutions. J. Plant Nutrition 36:2166-2178.
- Meyer, G.E., E.T. Paparozzi, E A. Walter-Shea, E.E. Blankenship, and S.A. Adams, 2012. An Investigation of reflective mulches for use over capillary mat systems for winter-time greenhouse strawberry production. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 28(2):271-279.
- Lambe, D., S. A. Adams and E. T. Paparozzi. 2012. Estimating construction costs for a low-cost Quonset-style Greenhouse. UNL Extension Publication EC 104. 8 pp.
- Paparozzi, E. T. and G. E. Meyer. 2012. The return of capillary mats. Greenhouse Grower magazine. August issue p. 78-84.
Capillary Mat Construction Video
Paparozzi, E. T., Butterfield, A. and S. A. Adams. 2013. Capillary mat construction
Heated Hight Tunnel Construction Video
Paparozzi, E. T., Butterfield, A. and S. A. Adams. 2013. Heated High Tunnel Construction
Greenhouse Bench Construction Video
Paparozzi, E. T., Butterfield, A. and S. A. Adams. 2013. Greenhouse Bench Construction