Website:·UNL Root and Soil Microbiome Lab
Professor and Director, Center for Biotechnology
Area of Expertise: Plant Physiology, Weed, and Production Systems
B.Sc., University of California, Davis, Agricultural Economics, 1982
M.Sc., University of California, Davis, Plant Physiology, 1988
Ph.D., The Australian National University, Plant Physiology and Genetics, 1992
Area of Focus
Plant Molecular Physiology
Schachtman’s current research focus is on the interaction between plant roots and soil microbes and the genetics of abiotic stress tolerance in plants. Using new DNA sequencing technology, advanced computational analysis and ecological theory, the current work studies how microbes in soils and roots are altered depending on soil stresses. Once patterns are identified the important microbes are cultured and then tested to determine whether they aid plants in tolerating stresses such as drought or low nitrogen. In terms of plant tolerance to abiotic stress the current aims are mainly related to identifying genes or genomic regions associated with tolerance to low nitrogen and drought conditions. The long-term goals of the lab are to provide new previously undiscovered microbes and genes or markers that will improve crop yields and enhance sustainability by allowing farmers to use less water or fertilizer while maintaining high yields.
Major Project Areas
- Sorghum biofuel sustainable systems including the identification of microbes and plant genes/markers that increase productivity on marginal soils.
- Characterization of root exudates in maize to understand how these shape the soil microbiome.
- Phenotyping to identify traits associated with the enhancement of water and nitrogen use efficiency in Camelina and sorghum.
- Soil microbes and their association with plant roots in soybean and native grasslands where alkaline soils exist.
- Nitrogen fixation by bacterial endophytes that colonize plant roots.
- Schachtman D.P. (2015) The role of ethylene in plant response to K+ deficiency. Frontiers Plant Science 6:1153. doi.org/10.3389
- Gaitan-Solis E., Taylor N.J., Siritunga D., Stevens W., Schachtman D.P. (2015). Overexpression of the transporters AtZIP1 and AtMTP1 in cassava changes zinc accumulation and partitioning. Frontiers Plant Science 6:492. doi: 10.3389
- Meister, R, Rajani, MS, Ruzicka, D., Schachtman, DP (2014) Challenges of modifying root traits in crops for agriculture. Trends in Plant Science 19: 779-788
- Pike S., Gao F., Kim M.J., Kim S.H., Schachtman D.P., Gassmann W. (2014) Members of the NPF3 transporter subfamily encode pathogen-inducible nitrate/nitrite transporters in grapevine and Arabidopsis. Plant and Cell Physiology 55: 162-170
- Hong J.P., Takeshi Y., Kondou Y., Schachtman D.P., Matsui M., Shin R. (2013) Identification and Characterization of Transcription Factors Regulating Arabidopsis HAK5. Plant and Cell Physiology 54: 1478-1490
- Larkan, N.J., Ruzicka, D.R., Edmonds-Tibbett, T., Durkin, J.M., Jackson, L.E., Smith, F.A., Schachtman, D.P., Smith, S.E, Barker, S.J. (2013) The reduced mycorrhizal colonisation (rmc) mutation of tomato disrupts five gene sequences including the CYCLOPS/IPD3 homologue, Mycorrhiza 7:573-584
- Paez-Valencia, J., Lares-Sanchezu, J., Marsh, E., Dorneles, L.T., Santos, MP, Sanchez, D, Winteru, A, Murphy, S, Cox,J, Trzaska, M, Metler, J, Alex Kozic, A, Facanha, AR, Schachtman, DP, Sanchez CA and Gaxiola, RA (2013) Enhanced H+-PPase Activity Improves Nitrogen Use Efficiency in Romaine Lettuce (Lactuca sativa cv. conquistador) Plant Physiology 161:1557-1569
- Marella, H, Nielsen, E, Schachtman, DP and Taylor C (2013) The amino acid permeases, AAP3 and AAP6, are involved in root-knot nematode parasitism of Arabidopsis Mol. Plant Microbe Interactions 24:44-54
- Ruzicka, DR, Chamala, S, Barrios-Masias, FH, Martin, F, Smith, SE, Jackson, LE, Barbazuk, WB, and Schachtman, DP (2012) Inside Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Roots - Molecular Probes to Understand the Symbiosis The Plant Genome 6:2
- Schachtman DP (2012) Recent advances in nutrient sensing and signaling Molecular Plant 5: 1170-1172 Kim, MJ, Ruzicka, D, Shin, R, Schachtman, DP (2012) The Arabidopsis AP2/ERF trasnscription factor RAP2.11 modulates plant response to low-potassium conditions Molecular Plant 5: 1042-1057
- Ruzicka, D. Hausmann, NT, Masias, FH, Jackson, LE, Schachtman, DP (2012) Transcriptomic and metabolic responses of mycorrhizal roots to nitrogen patches under field conditions Plant and Soil, 350: 145-162
- Yang, S, Wu, J, Ziegler, T, Yang, X, Zayed, A, Rajani, MS, Zhou, D, Basra, A, Schachtman, D, Peng, M, Armstrong, C, Caldo, R, Morrell, J, Lacy, M, and Staub, J (2011) Gene expression biomarkers provide sensitive indicators of in planta nitrogen status in maize Plant Physiology 157:1841-1852
- Sayre, R, Beeching, J, Cahoon, E, Egesi, C, Fauquet, C, Fellman, J, Fregene, M, Gruissem, W, Mallowa, S, Manary, M, Maziya-Dixon, B, Mbanaso, A, Schachtman, DP, Siritunga, D, Taylor, N, Vanderschuren, H, Zhang, P (2011) The BioCassava Plus Program; Biofortification of Cassava for Sub-Saharan Africa. Annual Review of Plant Biology 62: 251-272
- Shin, R, Jez, J, Basra, A, Zhang, B, Schachtman, DP (2011) 14-3-3 proteins fine-tune plant nutrient metabolism FEBS Lett 585:143-147
- Ernst, L, Goodger, JQD, Alvarez, S, Marsh, E, Berla, B, Lockhart, E, Jung, J, Li, P, Bohnert, HJ, Schachtman, DP (2010) Sulphate as a xylem-borne chemical signal precedes the expression of ABA biosynthetic genes in maize roots Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 3395-3405.
- Marsh, E ., Alvarez, S., Hicks, LM, Barbazuk, WB. Qiu, W, Kovacs, L. Schachtman, D.P. (2010) Changes in protein abundance during powdery mildew infection of leaf tissues of Cabernet Sauvignon grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) Proteomics 10: 2057-2064
- Ruzicka, DR, Barrios-Masias, FH, Hausmann, NT, Jackson, LE, Schachtman, DP (2010) Tomato root transcriptome response to a nitrogen-enriched soil patch BMC Plant Biology 10:75 ** Rated as 'Highly accessed' relative to age by Biomed Central
- Kim, MJ, Ciani, S, and Schachtman, DP (2010) A Peroxidase Contributes to ROS Production during Arabidopsis Root Response to Potassium Deficiency. Mol Plant 3, 420-427.
- Kim MJ, Shin R, Schachtman DP (2009). A nuclear factor regulates abscisic acid responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol 151, 1433-1445
- Jung JY, Shin R, Schachtman DP (2009) Ethylene mediates response and tolerance to potassium deprivation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 607-621. ***Rated as Must read by Faculty 1000 Biology
- Schachtman, DP, Goodger, JQD (2008) Chemical root to shoot signaling under drought Trends in Plant Science. 13: 281-287.
- Qi, Z, Hampton, CR, Shin, R, Barkla, BJ, White, PJ, and Schachtman, DP (2008) The high affinity K+ transporter AtHAK5 plays a physiological role in planta at very low K+ concentrations and provides a cesium uptake pathway in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 595-607.
- Alvarez, S, Marsh, EL, Schroeder, SG, Schachtman, DP, (2008) Metabolomic and proteomic changes in the xylem sap of maize under drought. Plant Cell and Environment 31: 325-40.
- Fung, RWM, Gonzalo, M, Fekete, C, Kovacs, LG, He, Y, Marsh, E, McIntyre, LM, Schachtman, DP, Qiu, W, (2008) Transcriptional profiling reveals novel insights Into powdery mildew-induced defense response in grapevine. Plant Physiology 146:236-249
- Zhu, J, Alvarez, S, Marsh, EL, LeNoble, ME, Cho, IJ, Sivaguru, M, Chen, S, Nguyen, HT, Wu, Y, Schachtman, DP, Sharp, RE (2007) Cell wall proteome in the maize primary root elongation zone. Region-specific changes in water soluble and lightly ionically-bound proteins under water deficit. Plant Physiology 145:1533-48
- Shin, R, Burch, AY, Huppert, KA, Tiwari, SB, Murphy, AS, Guilfoyle, TJ, Schachtman, DP (2007) The Arabidopsis transcription factor MYB77 modulates auxin signal transduction The Plant Cell 19:2440-2453
*** Rated as "Must read" by Faculty 1000 Biology
- Shin, R, Alvarez, S., Burch, AY, Jez, JM, Schachtman, DP (2007) Phosphoproteomic Identification of Targets of the Arabidopsis SNF-like Protein Kinase SnRK2.8 Reveals a Connection to Metabolic Processes Proceedings National Academy Science USA 104:6460-6465
- Schachtman, DP and Shin, R (2007) Nutrient Sensing and Signaling: NPKS, Annual Review of Plant Biology 58:47-69
- Hammes, UZ, Nielsen, E, Honaas, L, Taylor, CG, Schachtman, DP, (2006) AtCAT6, a sink tissue localized amino acid transporter for essential amino acids in Arabidopsis Plant Journal 48:414-426
- Yang, Y. Hammes, UZ, Taylor, CG, Schachtman, DP, Nielsen, E (2006) High-affinity auxin transport by the AUX1 influx carrier protein Current Biology 11:1123-1127 *** Rated as "Exceptional" by Faculty 1000 Biology
- Zhu, J, Chen, S, Alvarez, S., Asirvatham, VS, Schachtman, DP, Wu, Y. Sharp, RE (2006) Cell Wall Proteome in the Maize Primary Root Elongation Zone. I. Extraction and Identification of Water Soluble and Lightly Ionically-Bound Proteins Plant Physiology 140:311-325
- Hammes, UZ, Schachtman, DP, Berg, RH, Nielsen, E., Koch, W., McIntyre, LM, Taylor, CG (2005) Nematode induced changes of transporter gene expression in Arabidopsis roots Molecular Plant Microbe Interactions 18:1247-1257 *** Rated as "Recommended read" by Faculty 1000 Biology
- Shin, R, Berg, RH, Schachtman, DP (2005) Reactive oxygen species and root hairs in Arabidopsis root response to nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium deficiency Plant and Cell Physiology 46:1350-1357
- Goodger, JQD, Sharp, RE, Marsh, EL, Schachtman, DP (2005) Relationships between xylem sap constituents and leaf conductance of well-watered and water-stressed maize across three xylem sap sampling techniques Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2389-2400
- Shin, R. and Schachtman, D.P. (2004) Hydrogen peroxide mediates plant root cell response to nutrient deprivation Proceedings National Academy Science USA 101:8827-8832. ***Rated as "Must read" by Faculty 1000 Biology
- Ahn, S.J., Shin, R. and Schachtman, D.P. (2004) Expression of KT/KUP genes in Arabidopsis and the role of root hairs in K+ uptake Plant Physiology 134:1135-45.
- Mpelasoka, B.S., Schachtman, D.P., Treeby, M.T., Thomas, M.R. (2003) A review of potassium nutrition in grapevines with special emphasis on berry accumulation. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine 9:154-168.
- Ramesh, S., Shin, R., Eide, D.J. and Schachtman, D.P. (2003) Differential metal selectivity and gene expression of two zinc transporters from rice. Plant Physiology 133: 126-134.
- Storey, R. Schachtman, D.P. Thomas, M.R (2003) Root structure and cellular chloride, sodium and potassium distribution in salinized grapevines. Plant Cell and Environment 26: 789-800.
- Liu, W., Fairbairn, D.J., Reid, R.J., Schachtman, D.P. (2001) Characterization of two HKT1 homologues from Eucalyptus camaldulensis that display intrinsic osmosensing capability Plant Physiology 127: 283-294.
- Liu, W., Schachtman, D.P., Zhang, W. 2000 Partial deletion of a loop region in the high affinity K+ transporter HKT1 changes ionic permeability leading to increased salt tolerance Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 27924-37932.
- Fairbairn D.J., Liu, W., Schachtman D.P., Gomez-Gallego S., Day S. Teasdale R.D. 2000 Characterisation of two distinct HKT1-like potassium transporters from Eucalyptus camaldulensis Plant Molecular Biology, 43:515-525.
- Antoniolli Z.I., Schachtman D.P., Ophel-Keller K. and Smith S.E. 2000 Variation in ribosomal DNA internal transcribed spacers sequences in Glomus mosseae and Gigaspora margarita. Mycological Research 104: 708-715.
- Schachtman D.P. and Liu W. 1999 Molecular pieces to the puzzle of the interaction between potassium and sodium uptake in plants. Trends in Plant Science 4:281-287.
- Rosewarne G. R., Barker S.J., Smith S.E. Smith F.A., Schachtman D.P. 1999 A Lycopersion esculentum phosphate transporter (LePT1) implicated in P nutrition of VA mycorrhizal plants. New Phytologist 144: 507-516.
- Schachtman D.P., Reid R.J., Ayling S. 1998 Phosphorus uptake by plants: from soil to cell. Plant Physiology 116:447-453.
- Clemens S., Antosiewicz D.M., Ward J.M., Schachtman D.P., Schroeder J.I. 1998 The plant transporter LCT1 mediates the uptake of cadmium and calcium. Proceedings National Academy Science USA 95:12043-12048.
- Schachtman D.P., Kumar R., Schroeder J.I., Marsh E.L. 1997 Molecular and functional characterization of a novel low-affinity cation transporter (LCT1) in higher plants. Proceedings National Academy Science USA 94:11079-11084.
- Munns R., Schachtman D.P., Condon A.G. 1995 Significance of time scale in distinguishing genotypic differences in salt tolerance. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 22:561-575.
- Schachtman D.P., Schroeder J.I. 1994 Structure and transport mechanism of a high-affinity potassium transporter from higher plants. Nature 370:655-658.
- Schachtman D.P., Schroeder J.I., Lucas W.J., Anderson J.A., Gaber R.F. 1992 Expression of an inward-rectifying potassium channel by the Arabidopsis KAT1 cDNA. Science 258: 1654 -1658.
- Schachtman D.P., Lagudah E.S. and Munns R. 1992 The expression of salt tolerance from Triticum tauschii in hexaploid wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 84:714-719.
- Schachtman D.P., Tyerman S.D. and Terry B.R. 1991 K+/Na+ selectivity of a cation channel in the plasma membrane of root cells is not different in salt-tolerant and salt-sensitive wheat species. Plant Physiology 97:598-605.
- Schachtman D.P., Munns R. and Whitecross M.I. 1991 Variation in sodium exclusion and salt tolerance in Triticum tauschii. Crop Science 31:992-997.
- Schachtman D.P., Bloom A.J. and Dvorak J. 1989 Salt-tolerant Triticum X Lophopyrum derivatives limit the accumulation of sodium and chloride ions under saline-stress. Plant, Cell and Environment 12: 47-55.