Associate Professor and the Dr. Charles O. Gardner Professor of Agronomy
Area of Expertise: Plant Breeding and Genetics
B.S., Biology, Cornell University, 2008
Ph.D., Plant Biology, University of California-Berkeley, 2012.
Area of Focus – Computational Biology
James Schnable is an Associate Professor in the Department of Agronomy & Horticulture at the University of Nebraska Lincoln where his work focuses on maize and sorghum genomics, genetics, and genotype by environment interaction. Students in the Schnable Lab collaborate closely with faculty in statistics, computer science, or engineering. Schnable has helped found three startups commercializing bioinformatic, quantitative genetic, or digital agricultural technologies. His research is currently supported by the US Department of Agriculture, the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, and the Nebraska Corn Growers.
For details on specific ongoing research projects in the lab and bios for current and former lab members, please visit schnablelab.org.
- Recipient of the 2019 Early Career Award from the American Society of Plant Biologists.
- Recipient of the 2019 Early Career Award from the North American Plant Phenotyping Network.
- Recipient of the 2018 Marcus Rhoades Award for Maize Genetics.
- Recipient of the 2016 Junior Faculty Excellence in Research Award from UNL.
(Selected from 72 publications 2010-2019; see Google Scholar)
- Yan L, Raju SKK, Lai X, Zhang Y, Dai X, Rodriguez O, Mahboub S, Roston RL, Schnable JC (2019) “Parallel natural selection in the cold-adapted crop-wild relative Tripsacum dactyloides and artificial selection in temperate adapted maize.” The Plant Journal doi: 10.1111/tpj.14376
- Ge Y, Atefi A, Zhang H, Miao C, Ramamurthy RK, Sigmon B, Yang J, Schnable JC (2019) “High-throughput analysis of leaf physiological and chemical traits with VIS-NIR-SWIR spectroscopy: A case study with a maize diversity panel.” Plant Methods doi: 10.1186/s13007-019-0450-8
- Miao C, Yang J, Schnable JC (2018) “Optimizing the identification of causal variants across varying genetic architectures in crops.” Plant Biotechnology Journal doi: 10.1111/pbi.13023
- Zhang Y, Ngu DW, Carvalho D, Liang Z, Qiu Y, Roston RL, Schnable JC (2017) “Differentially regulated orthologs in sorghum and the subgenomes of maize.” The Plant Cell doi: 10.1105/tpc.17.00354
- Lai X,* Behera S,* Liang Z, Lu Y, Deogun JS, Schnable JC (2017) “STAG-CNS: An order-aware conserved noncoding sequence discovery tool for arbitrary numbers of species.” Molecular Plant doi: 10.1016/j.molp.2017.05.010