Dr. Charles O. Gardner Professor of Agronomy
Area of Expertise: Plant Breeding and Genetics
B.S., Biology, Cornell University, 2008
Ph.D., Plant Biology, University of California-Berkeley, 2012.
Area of Focus – Computational Biology
James Schnable is a Professor in the Department of Agronomy & Horticulture at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln where his work focuses on maize and sorghum genomics, genetics, and genotype by environment interaction. Students in the Schnable Lab collaborate closely with faculty in statistics, computer science, or engineering. Schnable has helped found three startups commercializing bioinformatic, quantitative genetic, or digital agricultural technologies. His research is currently supported by the US Department of Agriculture, the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, and the Nebraska Corn Growers.
For details on specific ongoing research projects in the lab and bios for current and former lab members, please visit schnablelab.org.
- Recipient of the 2019 Early Career Award from the American Society of Plant Biologists.
- Recipient of the 2019 Early Career Award from the North American Plant Phenotyping Network.
- Recipient of the 2018 Marcus Rhoades Award for Maize Genetics.
- Recipient of the 2016 Junior Faculty Excellence in Research Award from UNL.
Google Scholar publication list
Selected from 117 publications 2010-2022
- Grzybowski M, Wijewardane NK, Atefi A, Ge Y, Schnable JC (2021) “Hyperspectral reflectance-based phenotyping for quantitative genetics in crops: progress and challenges.” Plant Communications doi: 10.1016/j.xplc.2021.100209
- Mural RV, Grzybowski M, Miao C, Damke A, Sapkota S, Boyles RE, Salas Fernandez MG, Schnable PS, Sigmon B, Kresovich S, Schnable JC (2021) “Meta-analysis identifies pleiotropic loci controlling phenotypic trade-offs in sorghum.” Genetics doi: 10.1093/genetics/iyab087 bioRxiv doi: 10.1101/2020.10.27.355495
- Meng X, Liang Z, Dai X, Zhang Y, Mahboub S, Ngu DW, Roston RL, Schnable JC (2021) “Predicting transcriptional responses to cold stress across plant species.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences doi: 10.1073/pnas.2026330118 bioRxiv doi: 10.1101/2020.08.25.266635
- Miao C, Xu Y, Liu S, Schnable PS, Schnable JC (2020) “Increased power and accuracy of causal locus identification in time-series genome-wide association in sorghum.” Plant Physiology doi: 10.1104/pp.20.00277 bioRxiv doi: 10.1101/2020.02.16.951467
- Liang Z, Qiu Y, Schnable JC (2020) “Genome-phenome wide association in maize and arabidopsis identifies a common molecular and evolutionary signature.” Molecular Plant doi: 10.1016/j.molp.2020.03.003 bioRxiv doi: 10.1101/534503