Website:·Twidwell Research Team & Focus
Area of Expertise: Range and Forage Sciences
B.S., Biological Sciences, Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla), 2003.
M.S., Rangeland Ecology and Management, Oklahoma State University, 2006.
Ph.D., Ecosystem Science and Management, Texas A&M University, 2012.
Area of Focus
- Rangeland and Fire Ecology
- Social-ecological resilience to extreme disturbance (e.g. fire) and climatic events
- Resilience, hysteresis, and thresholds in alternative states and their applications in ecosystem management
- Trade-offs of changing land use and disturbance regimes in coupled human-natural systems
- Forecasting threats to biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Disaster avoidance and wildfire management at the rangeland-urban interface
- Integration of science in natural resource policy and management
- Great Plains Ecosystems (AGRO 440/840; RNGE 440; NRES 440/840) (AGRO/440)
- Ecosystem Monitoring and Assessment (AGRO 444/844; RNGE 444; NRES 444/844) (AGRO/444)
- Twidwell D, CH Bielski, R Scholtz, SD Fuhlendorf. 2020. Advancing fire ecology for 21st century rangelands. Rangeland Ecology and Management (in press)
- Naugle DE, BW Allred, MO Jones, D Twidwell. 2020. Coproducing science to inform working lands: The next frontier in nature conservation. Bioscience 70:90-96.
- Uden DR, D Twidwell, CR Allen, MO Jones, DE Naugle, JD Maestas, BW Allred. 2019. Spatial imaging and screening for regime shifts. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 7:407.
- Twidwell, D., W.E. Rogers, S.D. Fuhlendorf, C.L. Wonkka, D.M. Engle, J.R. Weir, U.P. Kreuter, C.A. Taylor, Jr. 2013. The rising Great Plains fire campaign: citizens’ response to woody plant encroachment. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 11:e64-e71.
- Allred, B.W., W.K. Smith, D. Twidwell, J.H. Haggerty, S.J. Running, D.E. Naugle, S.D. Fuhlendorf. 2015. Ecosystem services lost to oil and gas in North America. Science 348:401-402.