USDA-ARS Soil Scientist and Adjunct Professor
B.A., Biology, Moorhead (MN) State University, 1982
M.S., Botany, North Dakota State University, 1985
Ph.D., Range Management, University of Arizona, 1989
Area of Focus
Soil-plant interactions, Soil management
The role of management practices in soil-plant interactions and nutrient cycling.
I am currently working on problems associated with spatial variability within fields. I am using apparent electrical conductivity, aerial photography, and yield maps to delineate variability within fields and measuring soil properties that effect nutrient management and crop productivity. The objective of this work is to develop sampling strategies for efficiently measuring soil properties within fields and to develop approaches for variable rate application of inputs. I also work in the area of soil quality. I am collaborating with other scientists to develop assessment tools for making comparisons among management practices or to assess changes over time for a management practice.
- Wienhold, B.J., M.R. Schmer, V.L. Jin, G.E. Varvel, and H. Gollany. 2015. CQESTR simulated changes in soil organic carbon under residue removal practices in continuous corn systems. BioEnergy Research 9:23-30. (DOI: 10.1007/s12155-015-9654-6).
- Jin, V.L., M.R. Schmer, B.J. Wienhold, C.E. Stewart, G.E. Varvel, A.J. Sindelar, R.F. Follett, R.B. Mitchell, and K.P. Vogel. 2015. Twelve years of stover removal increases soil erosion potential without impacting yield. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 79:1169-1178. DOI: 10.2136/sssaj2015.02.0053
- Sindelar, A.J. M.R. Schmer, V.L. Jin, B.J. Wienhold and G.E. Varvel. 2015. Long-term corn and soybean response to crop rotation and tillage. Agronomy Journal 107:2241-2252.
- Schmer, M.R., G.E. Varvel, R.F. Follett, V.L. Jin., and B.J. Wienhold. 2014. Tillage and residue management effects on soil carbon and nitrogen under irrigated continuous corn. Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. J. 78:1987-1996.
- Schmer, M.R., V.L. Jin and B.J. Wienhold. 2015. Sub-surface soil carbon affects biofuel greenhouse gas emissions. Biomass and Bioenergy 81:31-34.
- Jin, V.L., J.M. Baker, J.M. Johnson, D.L Karlen, R.M. Lehman, S.L. Osborne, T.J. Sauer, D.E. Stott, G.E. Varvel, R.T. Venterea, M.R. Schmer, and B.J. Wienhold. 2014. Soil greenhouse gas emissions in response to corn stover removal and tillage management across the US corn belt. Bioenergy Research 7:517-527. http://handle.nal.usda.gov/10113/58944
- Durso, L.M., D.N. Miller, and B.J. Wienhold. 2012. Distribution and quantification of antibiotic resistant genes and bacteria across agricultural and non-agricultural metagenomes. PLOS ONE 7:1-12. (e48325). http://handle.nal.usda.gov/10113/57132
- Wienhold, B.J., G.E. Varvel, J.M.F. Johnson, and W.W. Wilhelm. 2013. Carbon Source Quality and Placement Effects on Soil Organic Carbon Status. BioEnergy Research 6:786-796. http://handle.nal.usda.gov/10113/56456
- Tian, H., R.A. Drijber, X. Li, D.N. Miller, and B.J. Wienhold. 2013. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi differ in their ability to regulate the expression of phosphate transporters in maize (Zea mays L.) Mycorrhiza. 23:507-514. http://handle.nal.usda.gov/10113/57994
- Wienhold, B.J. and D.B. Taylor. 2012. Substrate Properties of Stable Fly (Dipera: Muscidae) Developmental Sites Associated with Round Bale Hay Feeding Sites in Eastern Nebraska. Environmental Entomology 41: 213-221. http://handle.nal.usda.gov/10113/54103
- Wienhold, B.J. and J.E. Gilley. 2010. Cob Removal Effect on Sediment and Runoff Nutrient Loss From a Silt Loam Soil. Agronomy Journal 102:1448-1452. http://hdl.handle.net/10113/48120
- Wienhold, B.J., G.E. Varvel, and V.L. Jin. 2011. Corn cob residue carbon and nutrient dynamics during decomposition. Agronomy Journal 103:1192-1197. http://handle.nal.usda.gov/10113/53716