- Compliance with the university Toolbox and Brand Book to identify consistently and positively with the university
- Graphic design/layout—ads, postcards, flyers, brochures, programs, display banners, signage, recruitment/marketing materials, graphics and promotional products
- Web development, consultation, design, management and changes to department websites (Agronomy and Horticulture, Turfgrass Science, Viticulture, Weed Science and Range, Pasture, & Forages)
- Marketing communications and plan development
- Writing/editing copy for news releases (for department website, university and external audiences), social media content, website content and print publications following the university editorial guidelines, university Style Guide and Associated Press Stylebook.
- Social media communications—Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram (managed by recruitment coordinator)—content creation and management of department accounts
- Digital signage display in Keim Hall—content development and creation
- Photography of department events, faculty/staff/student portraits, field days, research, for news and social media
- Scientific illustration
- Video consultation and production for research projects and recruitment
Point of Contact
Social media—Fran Benne
Scientific Illustration—Lana Johnson
Contact Lana at firstname.lastname@example.org, 472-6416, 362A PLSH
We will do our best to contact you about your project in a timely manner. All areas of work will be divided between Lana and Fran based on their work schedule. All work will be prioritized on a first-come, first-served basis and deadlines taken into account.
Fran graduated from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln with a Bachelor of Journalism in advertising with minors in art, english and marketing. She has 24 years of experience in graphic design and layout, art direction, creative development and advertising.
Prior to the university, she was an art director/graphic designer at a local advertising agency where she met with and presented creative concepts to clients, supervised photo shoots, designed and produced advertisements, brochures, fliers, catalogs, billboard and transit ads, newsletters, logos, direct mail, letterhead and business cards, trade show materials, and web banners for local and national clients. She also worked with a variety of print vendors.
She has spent the last four years as the department multimedia design and communications specialist creating for print and web, managing the department website, shooting photography and video, writing and editing news stories and print publications, producing videos and utilizing social media for recruitment and communicating news and events. She is also the managing editor and designer of the department annual newsletter/magazine.
Fran is a member of ACES: The Society For Editing. She is currently studying for a Public Relations and Social Media Graduate Certificate and working toward a Master of Arts in Integrated Media Communications from the College of Journalism and Mass Communications at Nebraska. Stop by Fran’s office anytime to discuss a project or to talk about running, landscaping ideas or cats.
Previous to Nebraska, Lana worked as a biology instructor, lab technician, technical illustrator and as a freelance scientific illustrator creating artwork for local and national clients. She is a professional member of the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators and currently serves as president of the GNSI Great Plains Chapter. She has presented and taught many seminars and classes at GNSI, Association for Communication Excellence and North Central Branch of Entomology Society of America conferences. Her artwork has been exhibited in juried shows across the country. Lana strongly promotes healthy living by always having chocolate on her desk for visitors to enjoy.