The 2024 Soils School will be held in-person at Nebraska Innovation Campus in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Tuesday and Wednesday, Feb. 6 and 7.
Co-sponsored by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Department of Agronomy and Horticulture and the Nebraska Agri-Business Association, this course has been designed to cover the application of basic principles of soils, water, and nutrient management to improve agricultural crop production.
The 2024 Soils School will cover the basic soil, water and nutrient management concepts. Advanced soil school will be offered in alternative years.
Leading experts from the University of Nebraska will present the fundamental concepts of soil, water and nutrient management to improve agricultural production in Nebraska. An update to research-based recommendations of primary crop nutrients including nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium will be presented.
Tuesday, Feb. 6 presentations include:
- Fertilizer Recommendation Philosophies – Bijesh Maharjan, Associate Professor of agronomy and horticulture
- Soil Microbiology – Rhae Drijber, Professor of agronomy and horticulture
- Basics of Potassium Recommendations & Case Scenarios – Nathan Mueller, Nebraska Extension Educator – Water and Cropping Systems
- Basics of Phosphorus Recommendations – Javed Iqbal, Assistant Professor of agronomy and horticulture, and Nutrient Management and Water Quality Specialist
- Phosporus Recommentaions – Case Scenarios – Nathan Mueller
- Understanding Soil Health and Measuring Improvement – Bijesh Maharjan
Wednesday, Feb. 7 presentations include:
- Basics of Nitrogen Recommendations – Javed Iqbal
- N Dashboard Tool for N Making Decisions – Guillermo Balboa, Research Assistant Professor of agronomy and horticulture
- Manure Nutrient Crediting – Leslie Johnson, Nebraska Extension Educator – Animal Manure Management
- Soil Physical Properties and Water – Humberto Blanco, Assistant Professor of agronomy and horticulture
- Soil Chemistry - The Basics for Agricultural Soils – Michael Kaiser, Assistant Professor of agronomy and horticulture
- Manure and Soil Sampling – Leslie Johnson
The course provides continuing education units (CEUs) to Certified Crop Advisors. A total of eleven Nutrient Management (NM) and one Soil and Water (SW) CEUs are available through this course.
The 2024 Soils School brochure includes lists of presenters and sponsors, hotel information and mail-in registration form. Register online through Nebraska Agri-Business Association at https://na-ba.com/soils-school-registration-form.
There is a $295 registration fee for members of the Nebraska Agri-Business Association and a $395 registration fee for non-members.
Contact Javed Iqbal at email@example.com for more information.