Wednesday, August 17
Eastern Nebraska Research, Extension & Education Center
Register by August 10.
The Nebraska Flame Weeding Workshop will present results from 10 years of research conducted by the teams of Stevan Knezevic, professor of agronomy and horticulture specializing in weed science, and George Gogos, professor of mechanical engineering. This work resulted in over 20 scientific publications, 100 abstracts and equipment for flame weeding.
Proper weed flaming will be taught to control over ten major Midwestern weeds in seven agronomic crops (field corn, sweet corn, popcorn, soybean, sorghum, sunflower and wheat).
- 9:30 – 10 am: Registration
- 10 – 10:10 am: Introductions and overview of the program (Stevan Knezevic, PhD)
- 10:10 – 10:30 am: Basics of Flame Weeding and Equipment (Knezevic)
- 10:30 – 11 am: Development of flaming hoods and torches (George Gogos, PhD/Chris Bruening, PhD)
- 11am – 12:30 pm: Field Demonstration of Flame Weeding Equipment and Procedures (Gogos and Bruening)
- 12:30 – 1 pm: Lunch (Provided)
- 1 – 1:30 pm: Propane dose response for weed control (Knezevic)
- 1:30 – 2 pm: Crop tolerance to single and multiple flaming (Knezevic)
- 2 – 2:30 pm: Time of day impacts flame weeding (Knezevic)
- 2:30 – 3 pm: Flame weeding and cultivation in corn and soybean (Knezevic)
- 3– 3:30 pm: Experience from local producers (Randy Fendrich and Larry Stanislav)
- 4 – 5 pm: Revisit fields, Questions and discussion
- 5 pm – Adjourn
The workshop will take place at the Eastern Nebraska Research, Extension & Education Center, 1071 County RD G, Ithaca, Nebraska. Directions
If you need overnight accommodations, Wahoo Heritage Inn in Wahoo, Nebraska is close to Ithaca. There are also numerous lodging options available in nearby Lincoln or Omaha.
For more information about the Flame Weeding Workshop contact Stevan Knezevic at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-584-3808.