FAQs for Plant and Landscape Systems Degree Requirements

  1. What courses are required in the Plant and Landscape Systems major?
    All students in the major will complete the CASNR core and major core courses and then select one option from agronomy, horticulture, landscape design and management, and turfgrass science and management and complete the courses listed in that option. Each option has 24 credits allocated toward emphasis areas or minors and 14-17 credits of free electives.
  2. What emphases and minors can I select to fill the 24 credits of emphases or minors requirement?
    There are 12 emphasis areas you can select from. Many students will select at least one minor as part of the 24 credit hours allocated toward emphases/minors. Details of the emphases and minors that work well with each of the options are found on the Plant and Landscape Systems page.
  3. What are free electives?
    Free electives are courses that you get to choose. You can take any course you want to complete those credits. Some students will use a few free electives toward 18-hour minors. Other students will use a few free electives to take courses on topics they want to learn more about. Some dual-credit courses taken in high school will fall into the free elective category.
  4. How do I change my major to Plant and Landscape Systems?
    Email Anne Streich, astreich2@unl.edu, if you want to change your major. Be sure to identify the option you want to pursue (agronomy, horticulture, landscape design and management, or turfgrass science and management). If you want to discuss the major and classes to take, schedule an appointment with Anne Streich at https://go.unl.edu/annestreichadvising.
  5. Who should I contact to discuss course selection for next semester?
    Schedule a meeting with Anne Streich at https://go.unl.edu/annestreichadvising.

General Advising Questions for Current Students

  1. What is a degree audit? The degree audit tool allows you to see your progress toward graduation. You can run your degree audit from MyRed. Use the degree audit website from the registrar’s office to learn how to run and understand your degree audit.
  2. How do I calculate my GPA if I have a grade replacement? Use the GPA calculator.
  3. How do I appeal my academic dismissal? Contact your advisor to begin the appeal process and to obtain the Appeal for Academic Reinstatement form.
  4. How do I identify a class to take at a community college that will transfer back to UNL and count for a specific degree requirement? Use the transfer course equivalency website to determine the course that will transfer back to UNL for the specific requirement you are wanting to fulfill. Most community colleges allow you to take a few courses without applying for admission.
  5. What is academic bankruptcy and how can this improve my GPA? Academic bankruptcy removes the grade points associated with up to two semesters from your cumulative grade point average. Additional information about when you are eligible, consequences, and how to declare academic bankruptcy is found at on the registrar’s webpage.
  6. What options do I have if I am unable to complete a course because of illness, military services, death of an immediate family member or other hardship? You may want to consider taking incompletes in courses or withdrawing from courses. You can only receive an ‘I’ or incomplete if you have completed a majority of the course requirements. If you take an incomplete in a course, you need to make arrangements with the instructor to determine how and when the course will be completed. If you withdraw from a course, a ‘W’ will be noted on your transcript. Check the academic calendar to determine the last date to withdraw from a course.
  7. What does taking a courses P/N mean? Taking a course P/N means that you complete the course without earning a grade that contributes to your GPA. To receive a pass or a ‘P’, you must earn an equivalent of a C or better in the course. A ‘P’ completes the degree requirement. Earning a C- or below results in an ‘N’ or no pass. Check your degree program for specific requirements regarding how many classes (if any) you can take P/N.
  8. Can I take classes in the Plant and Landscape Systems major pass/no pass? Yes, you can take up to 24 credits as pass/no pass.
  9. How do I appeal my scholarship award loss from the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (Regents, David, etc.) if I did not meet the renewal criteria? In order to have your scholarship considered for reinstatement, you must complete the Scholarship Appeal form. You will also need to schedule a meeting with your advisor to complete a two semester course plan.

Enrollment Questions and Problems for Current Students

  1. How many credit hours do I need to be considered a sophomore, junior, or senior? 0-26 credits = freshmen; 27-52 credits = sophomore; 53-88 credits = junior, and 89+ credits = senior. Priority registration is based on class standing, with seniors enrolling first followed by juniors, sophomores, and then freshmen. Credit hours in progress do not count toward class standing.
  2. How do I know what semester classes are offered? The classes offered by semester table contains a list of all the courses in the Plant and Landscape Systems major (CASNR core, major core, options, emphases) and the semester in which they are offered. Use this table to help you create your 4-year plan in Degree Planner (found in MyRed).
  3. How do I get into a class when I receive the following error, ‘unable to add this class – requisites have not been met, Description: (course name that you are missing)’? Identify what pre- or co-requisite course that is keeping you from enrolling. It will be listed in the error statement. If you believe you have taken that course or have a course that was subbed for that course, contact Anne Streich, astreich2@unl.edu and ask about acquiring a permission code. If there are multiple sections of the course you are trying to get into, identify the time and section number that fits into your schedule.
  4. The course requires instructor permission to register for the course. How do I get permission? Contact the instructor and indicate you are interested in taking the course. Let the instructor know why you are interested in taking the course – is it for a degree requirement? Some courses require a pre-semester or weekend field trip. All faculty emails can be found by using the search function on UNL’s homepage.
  5. Can I get into a course that is full? Occasionally instructors will provide permission codes for students to enter closed courses. If it is critical you get into the course that semester, inquire with the instructor about this possibility. If you are not able to get a permission code, keep checking MyRed. Seats often become available after final grades are posted. Contact your advisor if you need help identifying an alternative course to take.
  6. What is a permission code and when should I request a permission code? Permission codes allow you to register for courses when there are no seats available or if you have not completed course prerequisites, but have instructor approval to take the course.
  7. Where do I enter the permission code? After you send your schedule to the shopping cart, you will click through a series of screens that has information about each of your courses. There will be a permission code box for each course. For most classes, you will not need any permission codes to enroll and you can just click on ‘next’ until you get through your last course. However, if you have a course that needs a permission code entered, place it in the permission code box on the page that has that course information, then click on ‘next’ and finally ‘finish’.
  8. What should I do if I have two classes that have a time conflict? Under most circumstances, enroll for one course and select a different course to take. Contact your advisor to see which course is most critical to take. On rare occasions you may be able to get a time conflict over-ride if one instructor is able to manage the time conflict. If an instructor agrees to work with you on a time conflict, forward the email that indicates this to Anne Streich (astreich2@unl.edu) and she will request a time conflict over-ride with the CASNR Dean’s office. A permission code will not work for this type of conflict.
  9. What do I need to do when I get the error ‘unable to add this class – term maximum exceeded’? Contact your advisor to get permission to exceed 18 credits for the upcoming semester. Include in your email the course number (PLAS 100) and call number (1234) of the class you want added. Your advisor will make the request if he/she supports you taking more than 18 credits in one semester.
  10. How do I switch a class from graded to pass/no pass? Make the change in MyRed. For specific instructions see ‘How to change a class between grade and pass/no pass’. Changes in grading method must be made before the end of the eighth week of classes.
  11. How do I drop a class? Make the change in MyRed. For specific instructions see ‘How to drop classes’.
  12. Are there any things I should consider before dropping a class? If you currently have or have had loans or scholarships, contact the Husker Hub to ask about any financial aid implications.
  13. When is the last date I can drop or withdraw from a class or change a grading method? All deadlines regarding dropping and adding courses, withdrawing from courses, and converting grades to or from P/NP are found on the academic calendar.
  14. Why is there a ‘W’ on my transcript? A ‘W’ indicates you dropped the course after the last day to drop a course. A ‘W’ does not have any grade point associated with it.
  15. How many credits do I need to be enrolled in to be considered a full-time student? You need to be enrolled in 12 credits to be considered a full-time student. However, some scholarships require more credit hours per semester or academic year. Be sure to know what your scholarship requirements are before dropping a course.
  16. I have questions about a specific course. Where can I go to get my questions answered? Contact the instructor. All faculty emails can be found by using the search function on UNL’s homepage.

Internship Questions for Current Students

  1. What is an internship? An internship is a professional work experience that allows students to work closely with industry professionals to gains skills, experiences, and knowledge important to the profession. It is a higher-level learning experience than a regular summer job. Most internships last 3 months and occur during the summer. However, some students do extended internships that last 6-12 months.
  2. Why do I need internships? Internships are an important part of your academic program. They allow you to gain professional experiences, connect knowledge from coursework to professional work experiences, broaden your professional network, develop skills that are in line with your professional goals, and gain different perspectives within your professional field. Often internships lead to full-time positions or another internship opportunity for the following summer.
  3. Are internships paid or unpaid? It is rare to have an unpaid internship in agronomy, horticulture, landscape design and management, plant biology, or turfgrass science and management. Some internships offer additional benefits such as housing, food, uniforms, and vehicles. It depends on the type of internship you have as to the benefits you will receive.
  4. How do I find an internship? Internships are readily available in plant, landscape, or soil interest areas. There are many ways to find an internship, including visiting with employers at the CASNR Career Fairs, doing strategic Google searches, browsing industry job boards, going directly to a business website, reviewing internships posted in Handshake (the University’s job board) or weekly email announcements sent from the Department and CASNR Career Services, and getting recommendations from a previous employer or faculty member in your discipline.
  5. When should I start looking for an agronomy internship? You should attend UNL’s Fall Career Fair, which is normally in mid- to late-September. Many agronomy students interview and accept internships shortly after this career fair. However, there are many internship opportunities available through April. It is best to start early if you want an internship with a specific company.
  6. When should I start looking for a horticulture internship? November t0 February is a good time for you to connect with horticulture employers. Many employers wait until after the first of the year to start interviewing for summer internships. Most students find internships by inquiring with specific businesses or Googling the type of internship they want in a specific part of the country. For example, if you want a vegetable production internship in California, try Googling ‘vegetable production internship and California’. You can also find several horticulture internships on the American Floral Endowment Career Center website.
  7. When should I start looking for a landscape design and management internship? October to March is a good time for you to conduct your internship search. Landscape design and management students often contact businesses directly to inquire about internship opportunities, especially for internships located in Nebraska. Faculty teaching design courses and the weekly Department announcement are also good resources to find summer internships. If you are looking for an internship out-of-state, the American Public Gardens Association career center lists internship opportunities at botanic gardens, arboreta, and zoos. Botanic gardens and arboreta commonly interview in January-March for summer positions. The National Association of Landscape Professionals job board lists internships in landscape management and construction, landscape design, irrigation, sales, and lawn care.
  8. When should I start looking for a turfgrass science and management internship? October to November is a good time for you to start looking for a turf internship. Opportunities will be available through March, but if you have a specific location you want to intern, get that application in during the fall semester. If an announcement is not available for that course or facility, contact the superintendent or turf manager to inquire about internship opportunities. Most students find internships by browsing opportunities found on industry association websites, including the Golf Course Superintendents Association for golf internships; the Sports Turf Managers Association (STMA) for football, soccer, and baseball internships; and TurfNet for golf, sports turf, irrigation, landscape, horticulture, and sales internships. Many sports turf managers like to interview students at the STMA national conference held each year in January.
  9. When and where should I look for a research internship? Most students involved with research internships are interning with UNL faculty. These opportunities are often included in weekly Department email announcements or are posted in Handshake. Additionally, UCARE and the Nebraska Summer research program are two programs at UNL that you may want to consider. Outside of Nebraska, there are undergraduate research experiences at different universities across the US. To find these opportunities Google ‘summer research experience for undergraduates in’ and whatever area of interest you have.
  10. How do I develop a resume for an internship or who can critic my resume? CASNR Career services offers Resume Labs to help you create and refine your resume. The Job Search Guide also provides good instructions on what to include on a resume.
  11. How many internships are required in the Plant and Landscape Systems major? Two internships are required. Internships must be with two different businesses and should be at businesses that you have not worked at in the past. Turfgrass science and management students are encouraged to have at least one out-of-state internship.
  12. Do the internships need to be over the summer? No, you can complete an internship during the academic year. A minimum of 160 hours over 10 weeks is still expected for 1 credit. Experiences in research labs are often available during the academic year and can count as one of your internships. Even if you do not plan on going into research, these positions help you develop skills that are transferable to future positions.
  13. When should I complete my first internship? You should complete an internship or work experience related to your professional goals every summer that you are in college. Your first internship should be completed before you start your junior year. This means you should complete your first internship between your freshmen and sophomore years or sophomore and junior years.
  14. When should I complete my second internship? Your second internship should be taken between your junior and senior years.

Internship Course Details

  1. When do I sign-up for internship credit? You will sign-up for internship credit the semester following your internship. If you have a summer internship, you should sign-up for internship credit in the fall semester.
  2. How do I get a permission code for an internship course? You need to complete an internship contract minimally two weeks before your internship begins. Once that contract has been approved you will receive a permission code. You may not receive internship credit retroactively.
  3. Where can I find the internship contract? Complete the online internship contract here
  4. What internship course should I register for? If you are completing your first internship, you will enroll in PLAS 295. The only prerequisite for PLAS 295 is having sophomore academic standing. Students pursuing the Plant and Landscape Systems major will select a second internship course based on their option. PLAS 395A for agronomy option students, PLAS 395B for horticulture option students, PLAS 395L for landscape design and management option students, and PLAS 395T for turfgrass science and management option students. You must have junior academic standing and course prerequisites for the PLAS 395 courses. See the catalog for specific prerequisites, https://catalog.unl.edu/undergraduate/.
  5. What course should I select if I am pursuing a minor in agronomy, horticulture, landscape design and management, or turfgrass science and management and want to use an internship as part of my minor? Select one of the PLAS 395 courses. PLAS 395A for agronomy minors, PLAS 395B for horticulture minors, PLAS 395L for landscape design and management minors, and PLAS 395T for turfgrass science and management minors.
  6. How many credits can I receive for my internship? You are expected to work a minimum of 160 hours over 10 weeks to earn 1 credit. However, you may register for 2 credits if you complete 320+ hours, or 3 credits if you complete 480+ hours during your internship.
  7. How many credits should I register for? For Plant and Landscape Systems majors, you only need one credit to fill each of the internship requirements (PLAS 295 and 395 series). However, you may register for up to three credits if you work 480+ hours over 10 weeks or two credits if you work a minimum of 320 hours over 10 weeks. The additional credits may be useful to fill free electives in your degree program. Contact your advisor if you have questions about how many credits you should register for.
  8. If I register for 2 credits, does that complete my entire internship requirement? No, you need to have two different internship experiences, each for a minimum of 1 credit.
  9. If I am completing an unpaid internship, do I still need a minimum of 160 hours? In cases where you are completing unpaid internships, 1 credit may be earned by working a minimum of 45 hours over at least 10 weeks. The hour commitment is equivalent to adding a 1 credit class to your schedule.
  10. Why must internships last a minimum of 10 weeks? Depending on the type of internship you have (industry, research, extension, teaching), this 10-week period allows you to see different stages of plant growth and pest management; data acquisition and analysis; or program development, delivery, and evaluation. The specific dates of the internship will be agreed upon by the employer, student, and instructor prior to the start of the internship and will be included on the internship contract.
  11. How do I come up with learning objectives for my internship? Minimally identify three items you want to learn during each internship. A good way to develop these is to look at the required and preferred skills, knowledge, and experience sections on position descriptions that you would like to have after graduation. Any requirements that you do not have or need to develop further would be good include as learning objectives. Discuss your learning objectives with your internship supervisor, ideally during the interview, but minimally during the first week of your internship.
  12. What if a conflict occurs during my internship? If a problem arises during your internship, discuss it with your supervisor. If it cannot be resolved, contact Anne Streich, astreich2@unl.edu, to discuss the problem and solutions for moving forward.
  13. Who do I contact for other questions about internships? Contact Anne Streich, astreich2@unl.edu.

Graduation Questions for Current Students

  1. What do I need to do the last semester before graduating? Other than passing your classes, the most important thing to do is to apply for graduation. You cannot graduate without first applying for graduation. After registering for your final semester, run a degree audit in MyRed to make sure all degree requirements are complete or in-progress.
  2. What is the minimum GPA needed to graduate? You need to have a 2.0 to graduate. If you do not have this GPA you will not be allowed to graduate. There are no exceptions! You will need to retake courses where you earned a C- or lower to increase your GPA. Bankrupting a semester or two is also a possibility.
  3. Can I take a class at a different college/university and transfer it to UNL during the semester I am scheduled to graduate? Yes, however, you will need to inquire with your instructor at the different college/university to see if he/she will be able to submit your final grade to the CASNR grade checker no later than Thursday of finals week. Contact your adviser prior to the start of the semester, if you plan on transferring a course to UNL during your last semester.
  4. How come I am not receiving information about graduation? Make sure you applied for graduation, are checking your MyRed to do list, and checking your huskers.unl.edu email each day. All University communications go to your huskers email account.